Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Feeding the cruising kitty by blogging/writing

Hey, curious what you guys think about a practice Iím seeing more and more - cruisers who have a paypal-type box on their blogís websites to allow readers to make a donation to support their trip. On the one hand, that seems kinda cheap Ė um, if I have spare change Iíll feed my own cruising kitty, why should you be begging from me to support your dream? OTOH, if that same person wrote a book about their trip, I might buy it. So, why not pay them for their writing directly, just cut out the publisher/middleman? (Note, Iím distinguishing between this direct payment; and writing for an advertising-supported website. In the latter case, the advertisers are paying for your writing. Hope Iím not being self-justifying in the distinction!) So, what do you think? Am I being an old sourpuss, and this is the wave of the future? Or is the "wave of the future" just grubbing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I must not be in the target market, because I have yet to pay for a blog or even online articles. Of course I drop on-line newspapers like a hot rock when they move content behind a paywall.

It appears that after all the puffery, L&A magazine has moved their online issues behind a paywall.

Label me old and cranky.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-22-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Ambiguous. I'm not inclined to pay or contribute, but I certainly don't object to the effort. I think that if a blog is visited enough, it might sell advertising. Otherwise, it's a public hobby. I'd be curious to know how much money comes in.
Old 05-22-2011

I love calling it a "public hobby!" Nor do I object to advertising income; but the request for donations just seems like begging to me. Maybe I'm in Dave's cranky club?

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 05-22-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
I am definitely a sourpuss (but Old is a relative term. Most blogs are about as exciting as watching paint dry and in those cases donating just seems like charity to me. However, I have been to sites, all had video, that were so entertaining that I started to feel obligated to donate and felt I got my moneys worth from the entertainment value.
But if cruisers are gonna post endless videos of themselves bobbing around in a washing machine, looking miserable, going nowhere slowly and complaining about how little sleep their getting or how sick they are, it's probably gonna be on their own dime.

However, I must confess a morbid fascination with a couple of cruisers who heave-to and sail way off course every time the wind blows. I also enjoyed the movie made by the yahoo (that used to be a term for morons and idiots on display) who went cruising on a derelict boat without even basic equipment and had to set 4 or 5 anchors on scabbed together cordage to stay put in a blow. Fascinating stuff.
Old 05-22-2011
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I think a donation request can be presented in such a way that it doesn't come across like begging to the reader, especially for a decent blog that's presented well. That said, I'd wonder whether or not the take rate would be high enough to make it worthwhile to ask for donations.

I wonder if another possibility is writing an ebook, which is something that the reader must purchase in order to access the content. If the content has value to people--entertainment, instruction, tips, facts, whatever--then people will pay a reasonable price for it, if they know about it (granted, that's a crucial piece of the puzzle). I don't know if one can bring in enough real income from an ebook, and of course it's a totally different model from blogging, but I thought I'd mention it because it is all electronic and one can do it without a publisher.
-J
Old 05-22-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Feeding the cruising kitty by blogging/writing
Why not, go for it. It does not come across as begging at all to me. People enjoy your writing and viewpoints will likely to donate. Using paypal, it the tax free. It is almost like paying under the table but absolutely legal ( I think ).

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-22-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Not a fan. It's just "e-begging" to me. Next thing you know, there'll be an app for that call "i-Beg".
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
I am definitely a sourpuss (but Old is a relative term. Most blogs are about as exciting as watching paint dry and in those cases donating just seems like charity to me. However, I have been to sites, all had video, that were so entertaining that I started to feel obligated to donate and felt I got my moneys worth from the entertainment value.
But if cruisers are gonna post endless videos of themselves bobbing around in a washing machine, looking miserable, going nowhere slowly and complaining about how little sleep their getting or how sick they are, it's probably gonna be on their own dime.

However, I must confess a morbid fascination with a couple of cruisers who heave-to and sail way off course every time the wind blows. I also enjoyed the movie made by the yahoo (that used to be a term for morons and idiots on display) who went cruising on a derelict boat without even basic equipment and had to set 4 or 5 anchors on scabbed together cordage to stay put in a blow. Fascinating stuff.
Awww, c'mon ... aren't you going to post the links here so we can laugh too?

and
! And a new project:
Old 05-22-2011

Clarification: I'm not polling you guys in preparation to putting a donation request on my own blog - I'm nicely set already - or fishing for compliments; just looking for a reality check on what I'm seeing around me. (But compliments always accepted, donations, ah, you can surely find a worthier cause)

and
! And a new project: