First sail of 2011 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2011 Thread Starter

First sail of 2011

After two weekends of commissioning, one weekend of graduations and a weather grounding, we finally got our first sail in on Sunday. Our original plan was to be sailing by May 1, maybe next year.. It was sunny, about 60 degs with about 7kts of wind. We only sailed down to Dutch Harbor, dropped the hook for lunch and had to motor back in 2kts of wind. Glorious.

But where is everyone? Except for the dinghy race, there was only one other sailboat in the entire West Passage and they were motoring. I will bet it was to get from winter storage to their summer mooring. Even the marina is less than half occupied. The weekend was beautiful.

Returning to our new slip for the first time was not our best performance. Despite our neighbor too our rear not being on the dock yet, I wanted to try the approach as if they were there and not cheat. With my wife at mid-ship with a spring line to toss around a cleat, it seemed a bit far for her on the first approach, so I backed up and repositioned. She makes the throw and misses. There are three hands on the dock waiting, so one completes her toss around the cleat. Just as this seems recoverable, she pulls on the line and her cleat hitch releases from the boat and the line falls in the water. Oh boy. She gets it back, reties it and I'm left to have to spring backward into the empty spot behind me, as the spring is too long to keep me from hitting the boat ahead now. I then walk her up to where she belongs. Of course, we feel like amateurs among our new neighbors, who were kind enough not to say anything.

Then it occurs to me. None of them have been out on the water at all yet and I feel much better..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2011

Smile

I understand fully! I love sailing, HATE docking. Seems something always goes south, I keep trying, can't say it's getting better, LOL.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2011

Any landing that doesn't cause an argument, doesn't cause damage to boat or equipment (yours or others), and doesn't cause injury is a good landing!

Happy sailing season. We just had our first sail a few days ago. Just wish the sun would show itself occasionally up here!
post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2011

I've been in for almost 2 weeks and only been out twice. I think this is the 10th consecutive day with a least some rain. At least the two days I did go out were good with enough wind to push the boat to hull speed of 7+ knots.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2011

Most likely everyone is stuck on the hard like me trying to get a dry window to get some work done. We wet store and haul out every 3 years to freshen the bottom paint. I was supposed to get hauled in early April. The yard didn't have any room to haul us til the end of the month. Just finished stripping 20 years of paint and preping the bottom this past weekend.
3 weeks on my back and knees w/ a scraper and sander is not fun but I'll never have to do it again.
Hope to barrier coat and bottom paint this weekend. New graphics and name next week. If all goes well we'll be wet by June. Been watching the wed. evening racing at our club the last few weeks and glad I retired from that!
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40

Last edited by jimrafford; 05-23-2011 at 06:13 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-23-2011

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Congrats on getting your first sail in. Every dock is like a new adventure all over...just when you have it down perfect....the wind gods or Mr Murrphy takes over. Enjoy your margaritas in knowing you are one of the first ones out in your neck of the woods.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
Most likely everyone is stuck on the hard like me trying to get a dry window to get some work done.....
I will bet you are right. Ironically, this past weekend and one prior were forecast to be a complete washout. Both had sunshine on the coast all weekend, while it rain inland. At the end of one day, we watched the thunderstorms roll north of us, while we barely saw a drop. While some jobs, like brightwork or bottom paint, require dry weather, rain is when I prefer to do maintenance/commissioning anyway.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Congrats on getting your first sail in. Every dock is like a new adventure all over...just when you have it down perfect....the wind gods or Mr Murrphy takes over. Enjoy your margaritas in knowing you are one of the first ones out in your neck of the woods.
Thanks Chef. With great misfortune, while we've had our first sail, we've not yet had our first margarita of the season. We have 8 guests coming over memorial day weekend, I'm sure we will properly christen the season then.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.