Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Please help me... re: live aboard

Ahoy Kain X, now ye be getting some sound advise and a good deal of national geographic info from me mateys but the only real option ye have considering yer lack of skills, finances and stated goals is simple.
XXX Web Cam , every sort of imaginable pervision on the high seas and with some good skills in this department you might be able to finance your dream. Course it depends a lot on yer girlfriend, but sends me a few pictures and I''ll let ye know.Pirate of Pine Island
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2003

KainX is on a distinguished road

Another question, can you get internet on your boat. I deal with the net alot, that would be one of my sacrifices if i go on a boat.
and yes mr.pirate, i have thought of the idea.
Old 07-21-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road

You can get the new wirerless data service or just get a cel-modem about the same thing. The new service is a bit faster since it is digital all the way but either will work. If you are going far out you will be into a sat phone that is big money buy and useing.
Old 07-29-2003

salnan is on a distinguished road

This question is answered quite extensively on the Cruising FAQ''S at:

http://www.cruiser.co.za/faq.asp

Good luck
Old 07-30-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road

Salnan, you are peppering this board with advertisements for cruiser.co.za.
Enough is enough.
Old 07-30-2003

schnicklefritz is on a distinguished road

“…(I don''t remember if I posted it, but we do not have a boat, and we have no sailing exp.)…”

If you have no sailing experience and no boat how will you know if you will enjoy it?
Find a marine parts store in your area, head for the paint section and look at the price of a gallon of bottom paint – still interested in buying a boat on your (assumed) limited budget???
Old 08-19-2003

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road

Most people I have read about or talked to that have cruised in the Carribean on limited budgets almost never stay at marina''s. They just cost to much. Anchor out for free and use the dinghy to get back and forth.

On a completely other note. I believe Bartenders and waitresses are in demand in a place like Victoria B.C. or Vancouver B.C. Both are great cities and both have great boating communities and many people live on their boats here all year. I am on my boat right now typing this. It is not a tropical paradise, but you can sail in Howe sound and its islands right outside Vancouver or cross the Strait of Georgia (about 25 miles) to the Gulf islands and never even leave Canada.
You could live on a boat and work and learn sailing and then go to the Carribean. Check it out!

Ken
Old 08-19-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road

Any sailing done in the PNW sounds wonderful to me... That is where my plans will be taking me but I won''t be working when I go.
Old 08-20-2003

mdougan is on a distinguished road

Lots of good points being made here, but here''s a thought... if the objective is to get out of the house and see some of the world, and you think you might want to do it by water, then post your names on every Crew bulletin board you can find, accept any decent offers that will let you and your girlfriend sail together. Do the first couple for "free" getting only food and a bunk during the voyage. You don''t need to know that much to stand a watch (and you''ll learn enough, quickly enough) and/or to cook, clean and maintain the boat.

Your biggest problem will be what to do once you''re at your destination. Hopefully you can hook up another crew position and move on somewhere else.

After a few of these trips, you might be able to sign on as paid crew. Either way, you''ll have more experience and knowledge and you''ll know if this is what you want to do. You''ll also know more about boats and what kind you might want to own.

You''re trying to make a big decision, well, good for you, but don''t try to figure out everything at once... take baby steps.

Save enough money for a couple of plane tickets back from Florida, then hook up on someone''s trip from the North East down to FL and fly back when it''s done. You''ll know a heck of a lot more after that

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2013
Happy Dance

Kesmg is on a distinguished road
Re: Please help me... re: live aboard

Following this thread.
My husband is a computer guy, so he has a full time work from boat job. We are new to sailing/living aboard and wonder about many things, this included.

Is there a market for massage therapists in the boating community? We would be interested in soliciting this service, for example.

We also wonder about non boaters paying for a trip on the boat. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Katrina