Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011

mollyspinsheet is on a distinguished road
Cool Racing is cruising with a purpose... really?

I have this friend who likes to say that he thinks racing is like cruising with a purpose. I disagree. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Racing is racing. Cruising is relaxing. I don't like racing because "having a purpose" tends to not be "relaxing."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 05-26-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I'll let you know for sure in a couple of weeks after I finish my first offshore race.

At this point, sounds about right to me.

GeorgeB could give some great insight on this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-26-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If I am cruising to a destination, to me racing is no different. BUT, with that said........

If cruising I might sail with a smaller sail, not worry about speed as much etc, but, to me, getting from point A to B, is the same, no matter if racing or cruising, I still have a "PURPOSE" or "GOAL" in mind. Now if on a day sail......where one sails for an hour then turns back.....whole nuther ball of game! Then "cruising" if this is your definition, takes on a different level.

marty
Old 05-26-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Slightly tangential - when Dan was coaching sailing at the Naval Academy, there were two facets to the program. One group was offshore racing; the other used sailing as a platform to teach seamanship, navigation, small-group leadership. He didn't want to get involved on the racing side because he felt the mindset included cutting very very thin margins, and taking big risks (breaking boats!) for small rewards; and that wasn't a philosophy he wanted to convey to the future naval officers.

Our cruising has been, by contrast, with very wide safety/comfort margins. I want it to be fun and pleasant. No particular rush, because whereever we drop anchor, I'm home because I have my home with me. I don't want to be a great sailor, either; I want to have a great life, while sailing.

Just a cruiser POV with a slow fat comfy sailboat!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-26-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I try to keep track of when I'm rationalizing. I do it a lot as I age. But I keep track.

I race--a little--everytime there is another boat headed the same way.

The difference with cruising is that you race when you want and stop when it's tiresome.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-26-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I do mostly racing BUT reached the conclusion on the 2010 ALI (200 Mile race ) that i don't care for the long ones anymore

After the 14th sail change on the first night

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-26-2011

VOLDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm new to the board *first post*, as well as sailing, I just finished my US Sailing Basic Keelboat 4 weeks ago. However, I think this has a bit to do with the kind of person you are.

When I do anything I try to do it the best of my ability. If I'm in a car then I'm trying to hit apexes, drive as smoothly as possible, and in general do the same thing I would on the track, but slower for my licenses sake.

During my sailing class the instructor had me rounding buoys day 2 and trying to keep the boat as trimmed out as possible. Day 3 was testing, then trying to get more time dodging the Staten Island Ferry and around more buoys. Why do something half way unless 'forced' to.

This is not to say there's no time to relax. There is plenty of time, when dialed in on a tack, where you basically sit back and just maintain and enjoy.

I'm not advocating carelessness, or dangerous situations. There are reasons racers do everything, and for the most part they are about safety. Since I have limited exposure to sailing (working on this as much as possible) I will use an auto racing comparison. When you take a turn you want to slow in a straight line before turning the wheel, get on the gas as soon as possible in the turn, and hit the apex of the turn.

Each of those actions have safety reasons. Though in the US we have lax automotive drivers ed, if you take a motorcycle course you will be taught every one of them.

For the same reasons racers do certain things, cruisers should do the same, or similar things. Again keeping in mind that those certain subset of things that lower the safety factors should not be carried over. The last thing anyone wants to have to do is make that emergency call.

As always YMMV, this is only my $.02

- Rob
Old 05-26-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to SN vold. And +1 dude.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-26-2011

TimofBlindSquirrel is on a distinguished road
Racing is not even close to what cruising is like. I cruised Lake Superior for 15 years and now race in Chicago. Cruising is relaxing. Racing is not.

I race on a Sydney 41 and we do long distance and buoy racing. Buoy racing is always challenging because of other boats, mark roundings, and the weather. Long distance, like the Chicago-Mac, is a great time, but the constant sail changes is crazy.

Racing teaches you about boat handling, sail trim, and how not to panic when things go wrong. I have learned that if I can use my racing background to get into an anchorage ahead of the crowd or a storm, I am much better off. The best cruising sailors I have ever met once raced. I recommend racing to everyone, even at a simplier level like Flying Scots. You will learn a ton.