SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   what to do and what will happen (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/74778-what-do-what-will-happen.html)

smallboatlover 05-26-2011 04:14 PM

what to do and what will happen

so my first trip on my sailboat is going to be sunday. the boat is a 16' mistral. i am wondering first of all whats the chance of the boat capsizing? also i plan on making a dry storage what can i use to do that. the storage is the open part on the port bow.

for some reason i can't post pics help please

OtterGreen 05-26-2011 04:17 PM

get a dry lock bag. not sure how much they cost but you can find them at any outdoor or sporting store. also look into a pelican waterproof case for your mobile phone.

smallboatlover 05-26-2011 04:19 PM

i was planing on a dry bag. but how could i make a compartment water tight so i can store towels cloths electronics and stuff in there and in case of a capsize keep it dry.

smallboatlover 05-26-2011 04:36 PM

pics

1 Attachment(s)
pics

Harborless 05-26-2011 04:55 PM

Honestly I take out these sorts of boats at least once a week. I do not take anything I cannot fit into my pockets inside the water tight bags. You are in a pretty much open **** pit sailboat. The chance of you capsizing is pretty much all up to you unless its blowing 20+ knots. You do not need to worry about keeping your things dry if you know your points of sail and dont tack past 90 degrees or Gybe from broad to broad. If you start to heel too much, just release on the main and turn into the wind.
Like I said if it isn't blowing at least 20 knots then on a boat that size capsizing is purely voluntary.

rockDAWG 05-26-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallboatlover (Post 734425)
so my first trip on my sailboat is going to be sunday. the boat is a 16' mistral. i am wondering first of all whats the chance of the boat capsizing? also i plan on making a dry storage what can i use to do that. the storage is the open part on the port bow.

for some reason i can't post pics help please

Don't capsize and don't go out to sail in the rain.

Seriously, getting wet is part of the fun when sailing with small boats. That is why my wife never hates it. Like OtterGreen says, get a dry bag if you must for your stuff.

CapnBilll 05-26-2011 04:58 PM

Westmarine sells a storage locker with a hinged door, has an O-ring seal and watertight latch.

smallboatlover 05-26-2011 05:07 PM

ok ive already stepped the mast easy enough i found out what i needed and bought it i'm about to step the mast again saturday, an be ready for sunday sailing. i know weight is the enemy with a boat this small. thats why i kinda don't want a motor on the boat. speeds better than just crusing slow because i'm to loaded down so i'm going to try to keep the boat light as possible. the think is about the water tight places. i'm pretty sure the storage on the boat is all after market made after bought. i can't find any mistral with a setup with a big storage like that at the port bow, also a spinnaker hole was made in the hull. so i'm not to sure of the buoyancy of the boat now.

puddinlegs 05-26-2011 05:55 PM

Not to worry you too much, but if it's blowing over 8-10kts, you should really re-think going out until you've either sailed a bit in less breeze, or can take an experienced friend out with you. You're sailing a dingy. It's wet. It might capsize. Do you know how to right it without help? If not, you need to learn this critical skill. It's not hard for a reasonably fit person and crew, but if you load the boat up with gear, everything will become much more difficult. Sail in light air (0-8kts), wear a pfd, treat it like play, because, well, it is! There are a ton of youtube sailing videos up that could help you as well.

smallboatlover 05-26-2011 07:40 PM

yes i know how to right a sailboat done it before. i will always wear a pdf on this sailboat.