Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Okay thank you! A few questions:
The boat owner manuel shows two seacocks even though it shows four thru hulls. Also, under the sink in the head a hose is attached to what appears to be direct to the thru hull.. Do I need a seacock there or is this arrangement safe?

Also, Are you saying I CAN or CANNOT install dorades there then? Or should I just stick to solar vents?

Lastly, The portholes are structurally unsound and leak and so need replacing. Also, I do need more ventilation and none of the four in the main cabin open up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Okay thank you! A few questions:
The boat owner manuel shows two seacocks even though it shows four thru hulls. Also, under the sink in the head a hose is attached to what appears to be direct to the thru hull.. Do I need a seacock there or is this arrangement safe?
Any through-hull fitting that is below the waterline should have a proper seacock fitted. Sounds like your sink drain should too, unless the outlet is above waterline.. but even then.......

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-26-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
The sea-cocks are gate valves with what looks like Grey PVC screwed into the valve

Both of those things are kind of kiss of death items as the gate valves tend to not work and the PVC cracks real easy

I showed a picture of one my upgraded sea-cocks so you could see the difference

no reason you cant do the boxes the PO of my boat built nice beefy ones with hand holds and the really do a great job of venting the boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The proper dorade box as shown above works like this:

if you simply install a cowl vent like this:

...any water getting in will go straight below. You're probably better off trying to seal the lenses of those portlights and appreciate the light below. Dorade boxes on the foredeck aren't really the right place anyway, if that's where they are...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-26-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
I decided on the Niko stainless steel solar vents. I will install two and have the fans blowing opposite directions.

My boat owners manuel has the dimensions for the two seacocks listed. How should I measure the replacement seacock for the engine compartment and figure out how big I need for the head too? The two seacocks listed are 1 1/2" and 1/2" respectively width wise.
Tommorow I want to redo my forward hatch. It leaks and the port hinge is rusted and the sealent is all but gone. I have been looking all over for a step-by-step on how to repair a deck hatch but with no luck.
I would think I just unscrew it. Replace the hinges and rebed them- check for water damage from the rusted one and make any repairs first. Sand down the hatch, fill in the stress cracks, scrape off all old sealent and apply new then just rescrew on the hatch--- pretty much the jist?
Old 05-27-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
No matter which vent that you install, Dorade or the other. There should be an easy way, from below decks, to secure them for heavy weather. In other words seal them up water tight. Thus if you happen to be caught out in foul weather, you can secure your vessel for boarding seas. Yes it does happen and it will only be about less then 5% of the time you spend sailing. And if you are really in favor of the weather Gods it will be never. But they do love to hassle the ill prepared sailor.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture