Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Request Experienced Sailors

Hello SailNet Members,

Enclosed are some pictures that I was hoping to have some questions answered regarding my new used boat. I am sorry if some of this seems noobish but I am a first time boat owner. Basically, I can rigem up and takem out fine but when it comes to gel coat repairs or port hole replacements I am in a steep learning curve.

This is a picture of the worst keel bolt as far as corrosion. Do I need to do anything to these bolts at all? If so, what? The washers underneath still shine if it makes a difference.

Second is a picture of one of my Seacocks, what say you?

Third is a picture of a soft spot/cracking in a part of my sole in the main cabin. Another soft feeling spot is right by the Head/V-Berth. What can I do to re-strengthen the sole?

Here is a picture of some holes in the cockpit drilled into the hull. I am wondering if this is a gelcoat repair or fiberglass repair as I have both kits.

Another chip I would like to know if it needs fiber or gelcoat repairing. I have a lot of these little stress cracks and knicks so I am trying to discern the difference between a fiberglass repair and a gelcoat one.

Lastly, a picture of (I forget proper nomenclature)--- I want to know if I can install Dorades where these are. If not, what the hell are they for??

Thanks so much for your help on all this guys and gals it is such a big relief to know I can find correct and thoughtful answers here. I have a list of 47 things I need to do to my boat before this time next year. I am starting with everything that lets water in first (seacocks, hatches, and portholes).

Last edited by Faster; 05-26-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: fixed picture links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I would suguest Photobucket so we dont have to wade through myspace to help you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2011
Blue Horizons

I have been going over my manuel for the boat I have
http://www.paceship.org/downloads/manual-PY26.PDF and it says I only have two Seacocks but four thru hulls... Does this make sense? Also I was sure that this image:
418.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket
was the seacock for my engine water uptake. I can even see where the handle has broken off. Am I missing something here?

I saved a few pictures because I wanted to check the Manual before posting them on here but my Manual has nothing to do with where these pieces of equipment are on my boat so I have no idea what they are for and would greatly appreciate any ideas. This little beauty right here is right beside the galley on the Starboard side.
415.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket

This LAST picture is where I thought I was supposed to have another Seacock.. Especially since there is a thru hull there. However in the picture you see there is not one and in the manuel it only shows a thru hull...It is where the sink for the head is located. I was under the impression thru hulls contained sea cocks.
420.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket

Last edited by Harborless; 05-26-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
The problem is that one has to log in to MySpace to see the photos on MySpace. I'm not a member of MS and am not really interested in being one. Of course, I'm also not the most experienced sailor either - so it's probably no big loss. It's just that a lot of guys are not MySpacers.

Photobucket is a breeze and it's free. Just do that. It will make everyone's life much easier.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-26-2011
Blue Horizons

Photobucket editing coming soon with all pictures.

Last edited by Harborless; 05-26-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
No worries dude. No big deal at all.

You'll figure out photobucket in just a few minutes. It's a breeze. It even resizes the photos for you.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-26-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
http://pic.pbsrc.com/help/PhotobucketHelp_Left.htm#CSHID=Upload%2FSetUploadO ptions.htm|StartTopic=Content%2FUpload%2FSetUpload Options.htm|SkinName=WebHelp

Choose the upload options for your account

1. Log into your Photobucket account.
2. Click the Upload now button in the main navigation bar. The Uploader page displays.
3. Click the Customize your upload options link below the Share section.

Kind of giant :

Read the help and change to 640 x 480

So you paste in the IMG code in forum friendly size

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 05-26-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2011
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Hello SailNet Members,

Enclosed are some pictures that I was hoping to have some questions answered regarding my new used boat. I am sorry if some of this seems noobish but I am a first time boat owner. Basically, I can rigem up and takem out fine but when it comes to gel coat repairs or port hole replacements I am in a steep learning curve.

This is a picture of the worst keel bolt as far as corrosion. Do I need to do anything to these bolts at all? If so, what? The washers underneath still shine if it makes a difference.
416.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket

Second is a picture of one of my Seacocks, what say you?
419.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket

Third is a picture of a soft spot/cracking in a part of my sole in the main cabin. Another soft feeling spot is right by the Head/V-Berth. What can I do to re-strengthen the sole?
425.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket

Here is a picture of some holes in the cockpit drilled into the hull. I am wondering if this is a gelcoat repair or fiberglass repair as I have both kits.
427.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket

Another chip I would like to know if it needs fiber or gelcoat repairing. I have a lot of these little stress cracks and knicks so I am trying to discern the difference between a fiberglass repair and a gelcoat one.
428.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket

Lastly, a picture of (I forget proper nomenclature)--- I want to know if I can install Dorades where these are. If not, what the hell are they for??
429.jpg picture by trisstanseth - Photobucket

Thanks so much for your help on all this guys and gals it is such a big relief to know I can find correct and thoughtful answers here. I have a list of 47 things I need to do to my boat before this time next year. I am starting with everything that lets water in first (seacocks, hatches, and portholes).
I'll start out by saying I'm not an expert so any advice I give is the result of the 15 years of sailing experience I have and being cheap enough to make most of my own repairs.

Keel Bolts: I'd get a dremel tool and brass brush and clean them up as good as I could and then retorque them. If all goes well (you don't break one) I'd call them good.

Seacocks: Just a little rust again. Clean them up and regrease them. Good bronze ones are hard to beat.

Sole soft spot: Sure, have at it. Open it up well back. Fair the hole out at least 6 to 1 and lay in some new glass. How to do that has been discussed many times here.

Cockpit holes: Another fiberglass repair but a small and easy one.

Stress cracks: A lot of older boats have them. Leave them alone unless them appear to be getting worse in which case FIND OUT WHY.

Lastly, those little port-lights are made to let light below decks. Leave them alone unless you just have to have more fresh air below.

Good luck.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 05-26-2011

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Your keel bolt nuts are very thin replace them. Your thu hull valves are gate valves. by the looks of them I doubt they open and close. Replace them with BALL vavles. all the holes look like some epoxy puddy and gell coat over top would take care of them. the bigger chip is a gell coat repair. the deck lite is to bring lite into the cabin.

Never Forgotten

Old 05-26-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Two quick cmments on the pictures in your first post:

1. The picture of your "seacock" is a gate valve. Get rid of it and replace it with a real seacock.

2. The last picture looks like the fitting for a Nicro solar vent unit. A dorade has a box with baffles and drains to prevent water entering the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.