Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Genoa Leech line and interesting sail

Hello,

Last night my wife and kids joined for an evening sail. We went to watch the wednesday night race fleet, have dinner etc.

After we got the starting area we turned off the engine and sailed around waiting for the start. Then I noticed parts of the genoa leech line were hanging free of the sail. About 10 minutes later the entire leech line, from the head to the foot was free and blowing around. This was not good because a tack would either rip the line or worse, damage the spreader. Anyway I furled the sail when I had to tack.

Back at the mooring I unrolled the sail, lowered it, and cut it off of the head of the sail. My plan is to sail this year without the leech line and have the sail repaired over the winter. If the leech flutters badly I guess I will have to get the sail repaired sooner.

Is there anything wrong with that plan?

The sail (UK Halsey Passagemaker) was brand new in 2008. Am I missing something, or should the leech last longer than that? i think I'll call the loft to get their input.

Lastly, right after I noticed the leech line loose (say that three times fast!) we saw a football floating in the water. Perfect time for a MOB drill! I had one of the my kids keep an eye on the ball, the other one steered and my wife watched. I went below and got a net. Then we tacked and sailed back, completing the recovery under sail. If the ball were a person they would have survived!

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
When I bought my present boat the line was broken.Dropped the sail and used a fid to put in a new one.No fun,time consuming but done.marc
Old 05-28-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I think you're right that it should last longer. My genoa was aboard in '08, gives every sign of being a used sail, and has it's leech line. You can certainly sail without it, though at some point the flapping will wear the sail.
Old 05-28-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Barry,

Assuming the leech line in the sacrifical is it the line which broke or is it the tunnel it sits in?

Thats way to soon for you to have problems with it.

In my dealings with UK -Halsey they will honor their work and are quite customer service friendly in the Annapolis Area. I would call them and ask how the will remedy you situation. It May take taking the sail down at the end of a weekend and picking it back up again on Friday.

I would not go the summer like this as your sail will luff needlessly which in on thing which wears a sail out.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-28-2011
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I'd consider taking it to the loft now instead of waiting till the end of the year. It should have lasted longer than that, and its a pretty quick repair.
Old 05-28-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Don't wait to get the leech fixed. The leech line and its protective cover are an integral part of the sail, in addition to the performance improvement that it provides. If you wait, you will wear the leech and a simple fix could become more complex.

The line should have lasted much longer (decades). I suspect that the stitching failed due to UV degradation. What's puzzling is that it should be covered by the UV cover on the leech of the sail. Regardless, UK will take care of it. But do it now.
Old 05-28-2011

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Ditto the above advice. You have to see to believe what damage flogging can do to a sail. I left a slightly detached uv protection unrepaired for a couple of sails - it almost shred itself. Don't wait - if you do it may well cost a lot more by the end of the season!
Old 05-29-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Saw you going out last night as I came in. I solved the transmission problem and rewarded myself with a reach down to Rocky Point and back.
Old 05-29-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The cruising sails on Abracadabra are her original sails, which means they're 35 years old this season. Both jib and genoa still have their leech lines, and both still work fine.

Jim