Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Welcome home. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
[quote=rockDAWG;737286]Thanks I had fun. I was never bored. I had two watches. One was 8 am to 12 noon and other was 11 pm to 2 am, worked out well for me. quote]

Oh, Dawg, any passage of more than 2-3 days you want to stagger your watches so nobody gets stuck doing the same crappy watch every night.
Typically the boat I race on has two crews and we do 6a-noon, noon-6p, then 6p-10p, 10p-2a,2a-6a, you alternate watches every two days.

On deliveries I've done either 2 hour watches w/ an odd number of people or 4 hour watches w/ a 2 hour watch from 4p-6p (the traditional dog watch!) for supper.

Sounds like you had a neat adventure even though the trip home was SLOOWWWWW.
I left Annap Jun 3 in the ANNAP/NEWPORT race and it was very slow also.
You might want to get a Rx for the Scopalamine patch and try that next time. They last 3 days; I leave mine on for about 36 hours and that's enough for me. I'm fine after that.
Old 06-21-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post

Oh, Dawg, any passage of more than 2-3 days you want to stagger your watches so nobody gets stuck doing the same crappy watch every night.
Typically the boat I race on has two crews and we do 6a-noon, noon-6p, then 6p-10p, 10p-2a,2a-6a, you alternate watches every two days.

On deliveries I've done either 2 hour watches w/ an odd number of people or 4 hour watches w/ a 2 hour watch from 4p-6p (the traditional dog watch!) for supper.

Sounds like you had a neat adventure even though the trip home was SLOOWWWWW.

I left Annap Jun 3 in the ANNAP/NEWPORT race and it was very slow also.
You might want to get a Rx for the Scopalamine patch and try that next time. They last 3 days; I leave mine on for about 36 hours and that's enough for me. I'm fine after that.
I completely agree with you.
1. When you are on a sail boat crewing for the Captain/Owner, what he says is what he gets. It is not a Democratic micro-colony. You can voice your desire, but at the end he tells you when to do your watch.

It is not that I will be stuck in this watch the rest of my life, it is not worth to get excited about it.

2. Yes, me and the other mate knew that on Day 1, we questioned the Captain separately and privately about the float plan. It is his boat and his voyage. Without any imminent danger, the captain decision must prevail. I respect that.

One day for 24 hr we only made less than 20 nm with motoring. We were moving less than one knot. There was an IP left a day later and arrived Chesapeake a day earlier. Now, you know how slow we were.

Despite a little less than perfect, my objective for this trip is fulfilled, plus many others intangible knowledge I learned by observing.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-21-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
One day for 24 hr we only made less than 20 nm with motoring. We were moving less than one knot.
Bummer. How do you make that little distance motoring? There has to be a story there somewhere.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.