Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
steady 8 knots here in MA, with sunny skies and 70 degree weather....perfect!
Aah, that's where it went.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2011
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Angry Not so good on Lake Michigan

25-30 kts steady with 35-40 kt gusts for the last 72 hours. And ... 45-50 degree temps.

Sixteen lines on the boat and still had two snap!
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Old 05-27-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
After a stetch of cool rainy weather since "First Tracks" was splashed on May 11, the last few days have been very nice here on Long Island Sound . Sunny and in the 70s with winds 12-15 knots. Six days out on the water so far and I've seen 7+ knots on the knotmeter each time. Nice!
Old 05-27-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
It sucketh. The sailing season this Spring on Lake Michigan has been dismal, and continues to be iffy this weekend.
I think the forecast is a bit >< more optimistic for us, on the east side of the state, but, given the way this spring has been going: I wouldn't place any bets.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, with "only" a 20% chance of so of rain, increasing to near certainty in the afternoon/evening. That's okay, because tomorrow I had planned only to tune the rigging, get the sails aboard and the mainsail hanked on, hook up the shore power, and otherwise finish getting her ready to sail on...

Sunday: The plan is to finally sail! Problem is: Winds are predicted to be "light and variable." Coupled with Lake St. Stupid's naturally screwy air: That's a recipe for A Really Boring Day, followed by "Screw it," fire up the iron genoa, and head back in. If history is any guide: At about the time we've finished tying-up, the wind should pick up Chance of rain increases to 40% on Sunday That brings us to...

Memorial day. There's a Memorial Day Observance at our sail club, and, I imagine, we'll spend the day there and with friends who live nearby that "launch" their pool on Memorial Day weekend.

So... It could be good, or it could really suck.

It's been a Really Weird Spring, this year. Until last weekend, there were few boats, sail or power, in the water, 'round these parts.

There was at least one Really Terrific Sailing Weather Day earlier this week. Of course: I was working that day and Abracadabra wasn't ready to sail yet...

Jim
Old 05-27-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Oh g*dd*mnit to hell! I rearranged my entire weekend because of some steady 25 kts with gusts to 45kts going on today and Sat. Sun was going to be more gentler.
Forecast just switched to include Sun and Mon as well.

Don't the seagods know that it's memorial day weekend?

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 05-27-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
On lower chesapeake forecast for this weekend is 10-12kts through sunday and 8-10 on monday.......We should have a pretty good sailing weekend! It has been fairly pleasant with plenty of wind so far this year. We got the boat here in early March and have been out twice a week since.....only once did we head in because the wind completely died! I here the winds around here will start to get real light mid june and stay that way through August...I hope to get lots of practice making my ole heavy alberg move in light air.

I hope the weather turns for all you guys with not so favorable conditions.

Enjoy the weekend and lets not forget those that sacrificed and protected our freedoms!
Old 05-27-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Our problem has been cool temps - shaping up for record cold/wet spring looking at May/June. Winds up and down, all or nothing most days. Last weekend we were out 4 days, pleasant enough if you dressed for it, but both trip over Friday afternoon and trip back Monday was 5-6 hours motoring in glassy calm... not what we're after.

This keeps up we'll start shopping Grand Banks'....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Our problem has been cool temps - shaping up for record cold/wet spring looking at May/June. Winds up and down, all or nothing most days. Last weekend we were out 4 days, pleasant enough if you dressed for it, but both trip over Friday afternoon and trip back Monday was 5-6 hours motoring in glassy calm... not what we're after.

Have I shown you St Malo's enclosed cockpit ?

I'd better be careful or I'll get taken out the back and given a right thrashing. No one likes a smart arse rodent.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
this has been a very odd spring - hot early April - then the wind started blowing mid month and has simply refused to quit

seems to average for four or more most days - not much rain - bright days - but relentless wind. I like drifting

KTL 43 Drift up the Colne « Keep Turning Left

Dylan
One of my favourites DW.

You have to love a man who considers it a priority not to disturb the birds.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-27-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

I hear ya...I'm pretty much fed up with all the rain. I'm usually happy regardless of the weather but now it's just getting ridiculous. Really looking forward to the summer...if it ever gets here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse