SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Too much wind (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/74811-too-much-wind.html)

glassdad 05-27-2011 04:24 PM

Too much wind

Well My weekend just fell apart. We were going to head out to Anacapa for the three day weekend. It was going to be just my wife and I, no kids. The weather report says Gale warning in effect through Sunday night. W to NW winds 20 to 30 kt with frequent gusts to 35 kt. Combined seas 7 to 9 ft with a dominant period of 7 seconds.

This is too much for us for a pleasure cruise.

How is it where you are? Any better?

Tell me somebody is going to have a good sail.

SJ34 05-27-2011 04:55 PM

I'm in the same situation. We were planning on spending the weekend at Smugglers Cove. The boys like sailing in heavy weather but it's just me and the girls this weekend so it looks like a staycation.

Siamese 05-27-2011 05:24 PM

It sucketh. The sailing season this Spring on Lake Michigan has been dismal, and continues to be iffy this weekend. It's not fair:hothead

ccriders 05-27-2011 05:33 PM

Our sailing season in South Texas starts in February and since that time we have been having the winds from hell, but I guess the toronados the Mid-west have to get their wind from somewhere. This weekend promises more of the same with winds moderating for Tuesday.
I single hand so white caps in the marina really sucks.
John

Survivor 05-27-2011 05:57 PM

Here on the Columbia river at Kalama, WA, it is close to flood stage. The water height isn't a problem, It's the large logs and debris that is the problem. I'm not sure how long it will be that they are opening the dams for heavy upstream water volumes from snow pack and rain runoffs but until it gets normal, We have no idea of when it will be safe to sale in our river again.

Harris

b40Ibis 05-27-2011 06:06 PM

It is perfect here in Chareston, here's the marine forcast for tomorrow-
Sat
S winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming se 15 kt in the afternoon. A chance of showers and tstms in the morning...then a slight chance of showers and tstms in the afternoon.

craigtx 05-27-2011 06:15 PM

Races have been canceled and we only had one race so far that the chute went up.

Helped a friend sail from Kemah(houston) to Rockport tx last weekend but we bailed at Port Oconner when the winds hit over 25.
If were racing we would have remained offshore instead of taking the ditch.

Nice sailing inside with flat water and 25s.

Ride was a 30 cape dory, race on a 29 cal.

dylanwinter1 05-27-2011 06:20 PM

weird UK weather too

this has been a very odd spring - hot early April - then the wind started blowing mid month and has simply refused to quit

seems to average for four or more most days - not much rain - bright days - but relentless wind. I like drifting

KTL 43 Drift up the Colne Keep Turning Left

Dylan

centaursailor 05-27-2011 06:26 PM

This and last 3 weekends have seen rough seas, very wet and windy.
I don,t head out in these conditions,:eek: but can hande it if they catch up with me.
Hoping to get a better spell on the Irish Sea for June.:)
Sorry Smack, not a candidate for fight club of BFS:laugher
Safe Sailing

Kiltmadoc 05-27-2011 06:29 PM

steady 8 knots here in MA, with sunny skies and 70 degree weather....perfect!