Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
kilta-
You may find all-brass and all-stainless locks in Home Depot and Lowes, they're made by Master and all the usual sources these days at non-marine prices for outdoor use. We've had good use of a "motorcycle" type heavy coiled cable lock to keep the ladder from wandering around the yard, outdoors for several years with no rust.
A suggested, Craig's list, pawn shops, eBay too. Get a throw-away email account just for the purpose, and if you're lucky they're too dumb to know that almost all email can be backtraced.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Sorry for your loss. Love the Craigslist idea. Some people really are stoopid. You could get lucky.

Not to hijack, but I actually think somebody is getting into my outboard and taking parts. Thing ran beautifully all winter, started it at least once a week and really ran it for a bit. Three weeks ago, I moved to a new spot closer to the river entrance. Things just fine two weeks. The other day, can't start the motor for the life of me. Found big black scufff marks on my transom and mount. Thinking about getting some sort of automatic camera capable of taking pics at night.

Again, very sorry for your loss. Theives should be Keelhauled!!!!! ... in shark infested waters.
Old 05-28-2011
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
It sounds like the problem was that the OB was unlocked.
You probably have some good advice, but frankly, fallard, I had a hard time getting past the first sentence. Admittedly, you hit a hot button of mine ..... the problem is NOT that OB was unlocked. The problem is that there are slimeball thieves out there that take what is not theirs (sometimes whether locked or not). Small distinction, but important for me ..... OK, short rant ... carry on.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 05-28-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Many have heard my story before - 15 or so outboards taken out of our mooring field. Insurance paid for a new one.

BUT

I was commiserating with a friend from Lake Sinclair in Ontario and he said:

"Rik, two years ago thieves came in and stole 30 plus outboards from our mooring area. AND, three weeks later they came back and stole 25 plus brand new outboards. We're not even sure if they took the first thirty or just dumped them in the lake."

Sorry for you loss.

Cheers

Rik
Old 05-28-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy1414 View Post
You probably have some good advice, but frankly, fallard, I had a hard time getting past the first sentence. Admittedly, you hit a hot button of mine ..... the problem is NOT that OB was unlocked. The problem is that there are slimeball thieves out there that take what is not theirs (sometimes whether locked or not). Small distinction, but important for me ..... OK, short rant ... carry on.
X2....the problem is the scumbag's who prey on others, who take what they want rather than earn the money to purchase it rightfully like we do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 05-28-2011

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
That reminds me that I really need to paint my outboard white and put "Chrysler" on it!

Sorry for your loss, the thing about most theives besides stupidity is that they can steal thousands of dollars worth of stuff but they always seem to have nothing. Life must be really hard when you're stupid.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 05-28-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Stupid

"Life must be really hard when you're stupid." Or on crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
That reminds me that I really need to paint my outboard white and put "Chrysler" on it!

Sorry for your loss, the thing about most theives besides stupidity is that they can steal thousands of dollars worth of stuff but they always seem to have nothing. Life must be really hard when you're stupid.
Old 05-28-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Do NOT use any of those 4 digit dial locks! My daughter once dated a plumber and we were sitting on the back of his box truck chit chatting. I handed him the padlock that was lying there, it was open. He asked me how I knew the combination. I told him I didn't, I just picked it. He didn't believe me and handed it back to me locked. I put it behind my back and picked it a second time, in about a minute. The really high quality ones are much easier to pick, because the mechanisms are smoother and easy to feel.

I learned how to pick this type of lock when my parents took me skiing on a 7 hour trip. I spent the time trying to pick the ski cable locks, we had three different kinds. By the time we got there I could open them all in just a few seconds. I have managed to pick a dial type lock on occasion (lost the combination to my shed), but they are much more difficult.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 05-28-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
If we go back the the first post, the problem was that the motor wasn't locked. As Izzy1414 has noted, there are slimeballs out there, but we all should know that and not make it any easier for them--especially the lazy and unskilled among them.

The easiest OBs to steal are the ones that are unlocked. The next easiest are those that have a simply lock. The next are those that have more elaborate locks, etc., etc. No matter what you do, you won't prevent a really determined thief. As someone else has noted, there are some thieves who will saw a transom off, which has happened more than once.

So, let's not kid ourselves about the security of a lock. A drill can be pretty effective with a key lock. The combination locks can be picked by a nitwit with enough time. The experts can do it in less time, but a cable or chain cutter is the fastest.

That said, the least you can do is make the thief work a little and maybe he'll look elsewhere for easier pickings (pun intended!)
Old 05-29-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
That hits it on the head, right there.

We (5 of us anyway) keep an eye out for each other while down at the marina visiting our boats. Always take a quick look for each other as well as the other boats nobody seems to use/want/afford anymore, with expensive motors dangling off their transoms. There are at least 30 boats here at our old, nothing deluxe about it, marina, with four regularly using their boats.

Prime Pickin's. Just might be spending the extra cash to move a mile downriver to the yacht club scene - free internet, ice, beaches, washers and dryers, SECURITY!!!!

Funny, too, because I'm located 150 yards from the coast guard and the county sheriff's river patrol HQ. Never see em patrolling the marinas.