Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
about the only real deterent is looking out for each other !!!lots of marena's don't allow liveaboards nor have night watch men,basicly thiefs have from 5 pm -7 am and most of the week ends to scout, plan and steal something that cost someone lots of money then sell/pawn for peanuts which brings up another point if someone buys an item he suspects is stolen,hes no better than the other lowlife
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2011

bobmorning is on a distinguished road
Stolen Dinghy Motor

We just had our Mercury 2 cycle 2.5 hp stolen off the stern of our Hunter 31' sometime in the last 10 days. We had it locked up with a 3/8" steel cable to the transom rail. It was in excellent shape and ran like a champ.

Stolen from Shipwright Marina, Deale MD.

What are your thoughts on filing a police report? Insurance claim (I loath to as the deductible is high and all I am going to get is a higher premium next year).

What about replacement engines? All I need is something to propel our little 8' foot Quicksilver from the boat to shore on our weekend outings.

Bob
Old 06-20-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmorning View Post
We just had our Mercury 2 cycle 2.5 hp stolen off the stern of our Hunter 31' sometime in the last 10 days. We had it locked up with a 3/8" steel cable to the transom rail. It was in excellent shape and ran like a champ.

Stolen from Shipwright Marina, Deale MD.

What are your thoughts on filing a police report? Insurance claim (I loath to as the deductible is high and all I am going to get is a higher premium next year).

What about replacement engines? All I need is something to propel our little 8' foot Quicksilver from the boat to shore on our weekend outings.

Bob
I'm sorry and concerned to hear this. My boat is in Edgewater, a short distance away. My advice is to adjust your insurance policy to a lower deductible and next time, file a claim. I would definitely file a police report and provide the engine serial number.

As far as a replacement is concerned, thieves rarely steal oars. All kidding aside, the smaller the OB, the more likely it is to be stolen.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-20-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
For my outboard, I filed a police report. Also, dont forget, the police do run stats on crimes so that they can patrol better in a particular area. So, you are also helping others when you file a report.

As for the insurance issue: my insurance had a $100 deductible for "accessories" like an outboard, instead of the normal $600. We only found this out when we called.

We replaced our 3.5hp with a 2.5 hp suzuki......it's running awesome, it's lightweight, and I now take it off the boat every time and put it back in the garage. No point in leaving it out there when we are only out on the weekends.
Old 06-20-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Bob, report the theft to the police, sometimes you get lucky and the thieves get stupid and the engine shows up again. Probably at a pawn shop or classified ad sale.

Unfortunately, 3/8 cable and typical companionway padlocks just take a while to get past, they won't stop someone with time to do the job.

Can't tell you about the insurance, but meanwhile, file the police report anyway. And keep an eye on the classifieds, Craigslist, local Pennysaver, etc.
Old 06-20-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
Also, dont forget, the police do run stats on crimes so that they can patrol better in a particular area. So, you are also helping others when you file a report.
This....let the police know...and the marina.....if they have security they might want to evaluate the effectiveness of it, and if they don't, maybe they need to get someone for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 06-23-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Update: outboard still gone.

Insurance paid on "blue book" value of the outboard (2006). So....wait for it.....we got a whopping $220 (after deductible). Too bad the new motor was $900
Old 06-23-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
bobmorning, that concerns me too. I don't have an outboard, but I am at Shipwright too. No place is immune, but I haven't heard of any thefts there before.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-23-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
Update: outboard still gone.

Insurance paid on "blue book" value of the outboard (2006). So....wait for it.....we got a whopping $220 (after deductible). Too bad the new motor was $900
That sucks...better than nothing at all I guess. Go buy a new one and try to make it more effort than it's worth.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-23-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Sad to hear of you loss. I've brought this up on forums before, but was hammered down for being a "goody two shoes", but a civilization runs on a basic social contract of respecting others persons and property. (do not lie, do not steal, do not kill), and cannot function without these rules. Wealth is part of the result of upholding these fundamental laws. Which is why theives are always poor, and so are those around them.

Just think of how much money we could spend on better stuff, if we didn't have to spend so much money to protect it? (US defense budget $500,000,000,000.00 / year)