Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Angry Stolen Outboard!

Some jerk took my outboard off the dinghy dock in Salem MA; in our private yacht club marina no less!!!! So, if anyone in RI, CT, ME, NH, VT or NY sees a tohatsu 3.5A from 2006 please PM me because I want it back! The only good thing to come out of this is that I can use my boat insurance to cover the loss. The bad thing is that my 4 year old really wanted to go to shore at an island this weekend. Did they really have to take it just before Memorial day?!?

In a related matter: anyone have suggestions for locks? We had a lock on the motor, but it rusted shut and we had to cut it off. I was mulling getting a new one this weekend. WM has a keyed all stainless lock for $99, but i didnt know if that was secure.
Old 05-27-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
damm,i'm sorry to hear that,some states tenn,for example doesn't require an outboard to be registered,i sometimes keep an outboard backup on my boat and i worry about that same thing,i bought a stainless lock fairly cheaply but i can remember from where,but i'm sure for a lot less than $99
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
we use a bar with a lock imbedded in it which fits over the c clamps holding the motor to the dinghy transom. The bar also works when the motor is hung on the stern tal on a plate We also carry a 30 foot length of coated wire with loops in either end for when we tie it up to a dock.

A determined thief could still steal it with some work, but I go with the belief tgey will try to steal someones whose is unlock first as it is easier.

Sorry for your loss. Replace with the 4hp Tahatsu model which we have which also has both an internal; and external tank connection.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-27-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear this but it is a common problem in the motorcycle world.

There are some unbleiveable great locks for motorcycles ,check them out you will be suprized some are pricy tho.
My fave and the one I use is a disc lock impossible to get bolt cutters on it anywhere.

If your really serious thier is a thing called a snake 1" dia X 2 1/2" SS solid links with a hole in the last link the head of the thing go's into about 4-5 foot long , it's heavy tho .
Old 05-27-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
EFFING AHOLES!!!! I would check local pawn shops and even craigslist....some people are pretty stupid, good luck hope you find it or get a replacement soon!
Old 05-27-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
It sounds like the problem was that the OB was unlocked. Maybe the simplest lock would have deterred the thief, like a padlock through the toggles. Skip the cheap ones and go for a brass Sesamee lock.

If you want more security, go for the specialty locks or do what the Caribbean charter folks do: put a padeye somewhere on the OB mount and another on the transom and run a SS cable (with eyes crimped at either end) through everything and lock the cable, which should be long enough to lock your boat at a dinghy dock. Use a brass Sesamee lock with a 4 digit combination and don't be lazy by spinning only one tumbler when you lock it.
Old 05-28-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I had the outboard stolen off the back of my Peason 26 while on its mooring 20+ years ago. Had one of those bar locks over the mounting clamps plus a cable lock. Obviously guys with tools that had done this before. Locks keep away the casual thief, not the professional.
Old 05-28-2011

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road
Put an ad on craigslist. Say: "Want to buy tohatsu 3.5A" Don't leave your email to reply to, but list your phone number, so, if you are lucky, when they call you will have their # and a way to track them.
Yes, I know, it probably won't work, but it only takes a couple minutes to post on craigs'. Then there is the possibility a legit person may call you ...
Old 05-28-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
we use a bar with a lock imbedded in it which fits over the c clamps holding the motor to the dinghy transom. .
I also have been using that bar lock after my 5 hp Nissan was stolen some 15 years ago during the night from the dinghy on the water at my home dock while I was aboard. I would walk all the docks in town looking for that particular motor to no avail. Plus it took months for the insurance to pay. The strange thing was that the sheriff's department would call me on the annual anniversity date of the theif to see if I had recovered the motor. That lasted for 4 years until I finally got pissed enough to tell them to stop calling.
Old 05-28-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I also have been using that bar lock after my 5 hp Nissan was stolen some 15 years ago during the night from the dinghy on the water at my home dock while I was aboard. I would walk all the docks in town looking for that particular motor to no avail. Plus it took months for the insurance to pay. The strange thing was that the sheriff's department would call me on the annual anniversity date of the theif to see if I had recovered the motor. That lasted for 4 years until I finally got pissed enough to tell them to stop calling.
We had our 8 hp Evenrude stolen off our Catalina 22 when it was in MD (Magothy River) even though we were using the bar lock over the engine clamp screws. Similarily, the police would call annually to see if we had recovered the engine.....odd. Fortunately, theif got the engine off without damaging the boat. Marina operator said that they had a larger engine stolen off a motor boat wherein the theives used a chain saw or sawsall to cut the transom away to free the engine.

We replaced that engine with a 8 hp Tohatsu that we chained to the engine mount, but like the motor boat above, that really wouldn't have helped if thieves were really dedicated. We moved the boat to another marina. Also, we stored the engine inside a building during winter months.

Last edited by NCC320; 05-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.