SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is this boat worth saving? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/74863-boat-worth-saving.html)

dylanwinter1 05-29-2011 06:36 PM

Is this boat worth saving?

came across this in a barn near me

KTL Vlog 108 Ė should I dump the slug? ę Keep Turning Left

is it worth putting time and money into it?

Its mine for free if I want it.

Dylan

tdw 05-29-2011 07:38 PM

Dylan,
Take you all summer just to get the thing in useable condition. You reckon the sails are OK , what about standing and running rigging ? Everything new down below. even the freaking cockpit locker covers are gone. Then you'd have to go out and buy an outboard ? Sounds horrifying to me but I'd like to see what the accomodation is like.

Outboard raised , as you say probably sail better than the Slug. I cannot find anything about a "SeaWitch" as such. That spelling correct ?

If the SLugs engine problems are now down to the mounts and the rest of the donk is OK, then fix 'em and be done with. Mind you four stroke outboards are verra quiet.

123456Wannasail654321 05-29-2011 07:58 PM

pass if economy is what you are after no way this will achieve that. Take the boat sell it for ballast and the trailer. and take the profit for your own boat.

Classic30 05-29-2011 08:22 PM

Dylan, it's a bilge-keeler FFS - a rusty bilge-keeler at that! ..I imagine a raft of 44-gallon drums would sail better than that.

Unless you plan to turn your Island Cruise into a Slug Restoration blog - run! run far away!!.. and forget about it. No-one (especially someone like you) needs something like that - even for free! :eek:

canadianseamonkey 05-29-2011 08:25 PM

Looks like an expensive and frustrating project. Put her to rest and out of her misery.

tomperanteau 05-29-2011 11:41 PM

Funny thing.. I follow you on Youtube and then I see you here.

From what I have seen of your boat and what I see here, the Slug as you call her, seems it MUCH better shape. This one looks like almost a total loss unless it is free.

tdw 05-30-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 735387)
Dylan, it's a bilge-keeler FFS - a rusty bilge-keeler at that! ..I imagine a raft of 44-gallon drums would sail better than that.

Unless you plan to turn your Island Cruise into a Slug Restoration blog - run! run far away!!.. and forget about it. No-one (especially someone like you) needs something like that - even for free! :eek:

Hartley old man have you ever seen the Slug out of the water ? The British National Health Service performs better to windward. The Sea Witch may well be a bilger but she's a deeper bilger than Yon Slug and that must count for something.

OTOH, Yon Slug is still afloat when seagulls have run aground and deep water anchorages are of no interest whatsoever. What's more she can boil her master a tin of soup without piercing the lid first.

DW, further to fixing the diesel. Why not just fling the bloody Volvo overboard and get the slug an outboard. Slug would sail better probably use about the same amount of fuel and you'd pick up a used fourstroke outboard for what it will cost you to fix the Volvo.

Classic30 05-30-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 735458)
Hartley old man have you ever seen the Slug out of the water ? The British National Health Service performs better to windward. The Sea Witch may well be a bilger but she's a deeper bilger than Yon Slug and that must count for something.

OTOH, Yon Slug is still afloat when seagulls have run aground and deep water anchorages are of no interest whatsoever. What's more she can boil her master a tin of soup without piercing the lid first.

All good points, I agree.. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 735458)
DW, further to fixing the diesel. Why not just fling the bloody Volvo overboard and get the slug an outboard. Slug would sail better probably use about the same amount of fuel and you'd pick up a used fourstroke outboard for what it will cost you to fix the Volvo.

As a present Volvo-owner, I'd second that. What's more, it'd be cheaper than fixing up the aforementioned pile of rust and mildew..

aaron77 05-30-2011 01:28 AM

I donít think thatís a good idea, you can do something more useful than spending on that old floating thing.

tdw 05-31-2011 05:33 PM

Oh , so the thing is called a SeaWych. Sorry but they are ugly. The Slug may well be aptly named but she has pedigree and looks the part. Drop the diesel overboard and get a four stroke.