SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Halyard Frayed (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/74879-halyard-frayed.html)

HBBurlington 05-30-2011 02:21 PM

Halyard Frayed

Hi,

Well, we put out on our maiden voyage, and made it to our slip, despite taking on some water along the way because our stuffing box gland had not been adjusted for us...

Prior to leaving, when we were rigging, our halyard line snapped and has a fray point. There is no stress on the line, because if/when we use it, it will be below the turnbuckle. We've wrapped some tape around the line at both points where it snapped. The trick will be getting it through the holes in the turnbuckle.
Without climbing the mast, how hard is it to re run this sheet?
And how would we do it??
Can we use anything else on it to keep it reinforced, and if so, what?
We can change it when we destep, but that is not for another 5 months.
Being a Newb, I am reaching out to you guys..you've given me great advice so far!!

DonScribner 05-30-2011 02:38 PM

HB,

"Below the turnbuckle" is throwing me. If it's the main halyard, I'd drop the mainsail, cut the shackle, sew a new halyard line to it and draw it back over the mast head. I would assume that the new halyard had an eye splice in it ready to take the shackle. If not, my favorite knot for this application is an anchor bend. Shop around and you can get Vectran for less than $1/foot.

CalebD 05-30-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBBurlington (Post 735594)
Hi,
Prior to leaving, when we were rigging, our halyard line snapped and has a fray point. There is no stress on the line, because if/when we use it, it will be below the turnbuckle. We've wrapped some tape around the line at both points where it snapped. The trick will be getting it through the holes in the turnbuckle.

I'm not sure that turnbuckle is the right term here. Perhaps you mean a block, turning block or cleat? A picture or two might help.

When I replace a halyard I will use a sail repair sewing kit to sew the new halyard to the old one with a few stitches and then tape over the intersection. Once the new halyard is all the way through the joint can be undone and viola! your new halyard is in place without climbing the mast.

Hope this helps.

HBBurlington 05-30-2011 02:53 PM

Hi,
Sorry, I probably used the wrong term...it's probably a block and it's right in front of the winch...
You sew rope to rope?

HBBurlington 05-30-2011 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a clutch, sorry!!!!

imagine2frolic 05-30-2011 03:20 PM

yes you sew rope. Butt the ends together, and it is easier with a third hand, or fourth. Then sew them together, and tape them tight, so the ropes are smaller than their original size. It helps with shrink material too. If it is smaller it won't hang up going over the sheave, top of the mast........i2f

HBBurlington 05-30-2011 03:31 PM

Thank you!
Sounds easy...(famous last words, eh?).

imagine2frolic 05-30-2011 03:44 PM

It is easy, and especiallly if someone else holds the ropes ends together:D . Maybe 20 minutes, and you're done.....i2f

HBBurlington 05-30-2011 03:55 PM

Thanks...we're going to take a crack at it this weekend!

TropicCat 06-01-2011 06:22 PM

If you're going to sew the rope, go and buy a new line and sew to the old one and pull it through. Voila, you've replaced the line.

I'd also recommend a couple of things. First, look into buying a bosuns chair and 2nd learning on how to adjust your stuffing box.