SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Heat! wave... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/74892-heat-wave.html)

deniseO30 05-30-2011 09:22 PM

Heat! wave...

OMG! and it's not even June in the mid atlantic area! I can't do it. Praying this is not a repeat from last summer nearly 3 months of above 90 temps.

Cruiser2B 05-30-2011 09:41 PM

I hear ya, was sailing back from Kiptopeke today when the wind went away......started baking...time for a bimini top of some sort. it was 15kt almost the entire time we were anchored!:mad: no real wind for the rest of the week and its supposed to be above 90 almost all week too!:(

sawingknots 05-30-2011 10:56 PM

yup here too,it seems the winters get colder and the summers get hotter,maybe there's a reason people used to live only into about forty

sailjunkie 05-31-2011 12:21 AM

Sorry, but my sympathy is limited. :D

Anyone in BC or PNW would cheerfully swap places with you. One of the local news casts just confirmed that Vancouver is the only city in Canada where daytime highs have yet to go above 68F or 20C. :eek: It has rained so often that kids are starting to grow webbing on their feet. All thanks to La ******* Nina! :mad:

It sounds like a swap of weather would make everyone happy: more rain for you; and more sun for us. :cool:

centaursailor 05-31-2011 02:08 AM

Jez, those temps are a bit extreme. :eek: Hope being on the water will cool things down a bit
Just had a washout May and am looking forward to the settled weather predicted by the BBC, our most reliable long range. Mid 60,s to 70,s and steady winds for June, thanks to a prolonged visit from the Azores high, and I,m off cruiseing the Irish and Celtic Sea,s for 3 weeks.:D
Hope you catch a break from the sun.
Safe sailing

dacap06 05-31-2011 06:41 AM

Egads, Denise, I have to agree. I was out single handing Sunday afternoon for only 4 hours. The wind was great but the heat left me feeling drained, dehydrated, and worn out despite drinking lots of water. I didn't even think about going on Monday.

bljones 05-31-2011 07:15 AM

Three word solution.
Bimini
Beer
Bikini

Yeah, it's hot. Yeah, it's humid. Yeah, it's sweaty. But, y'know what it's NOT?

January.

bljones 05-31-2011 07:17 AM

Hey, Denise! Aren't you in the HVAC business?

Hot is a good "cha-ching!" thing!

deniseO30 05-31-2011 08:12 AM

Still in HVAC.. some long time clients still call for service even though I'm basically out of full time biz and trying to be retired. The heat really affects me bad, nothing I do helps me handle it. I was at my YC at sundown it was still sweltering last night!

Harborless 05-31-2011 08:43 AM

Besides a dodger or Bimini I find that putting up a cheap tarp around the boom does wonder for cooling air as it comes down into the cockpit/cabin.