Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
ten things I love about my boat

here for starters....

1/ its a boat

2/ the view from the cockpit can be stunning

any suggestions

Dylan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
3. It's all mine
4. It represents endless possibility, and allows for dreaming
5. It is either the greatest escape from the everyday, or the greatest everyday
6. Ownership also brings kinship that knows no social status
7. No property tax.

Well..... it's a start.
Old 05-31-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Words needed? Now this is MY kind of challenge!

3) There's something in the way she moves (through the water). No other boat feels as wonderful as a sailboat.

4) There's always something interesting to do with it. It entertains me for a day, a week, a month, or as long as I have to time give to it.

5) There's always something interesting to do to it too. Endless tinkering in the search for /gadgets/speed//status/. DaWIFE calls it the worlds greatest tinkertoy because I'm always tinkering with it. I tell her I wish she wouldn't say it that way; it presents a bad impression. But she laughs and doesn't listen. She's a wise woman. Maybe she knows something I don't. But back to the points ...

6) I love that my boat provides a point of commonality with the most loving, most accepting, best people in the world -- boat people -- and provides entry into their society.

7) If you love your boat, it'll love you back. Take care of her and treat her right, and she'll always get you home. (Now, the flip side of this coin can be downright scary! Abuse her with poor operating habits, bad judgement, or no maintenance, and she'll leave you high and dry -- or worse, low and wet.)

8) I love the way the boat can work the wind to achieve the destination. It is more of a challenge than power boating but far more rewarding too.

9) I love the sounds she makes when she's working. The water sounds, the little creaks and clanks, and the wind in the rigging. It sounds like home.

10) I love my boat for its ability to heal me. Truly, the canvas really does work miracles, for whether it be for a pleasant daysail poking about in zephyrs or racing with friends in freshening airs, I am transmogrified from the careworn, weighed-down hulk that left the dock back into a mariner, with a renewed spirit and a zest that can't be described to those who haven't felt it.

And one extra:

11) I love the way my boat reminds me to live slow. Life in the fast lane takes a heavy toll on all of us. We think we have no choice, but of course we do. Our sailboats remind us of the pleasure one can find in simple things. Experiencing the wind and water; talking; waltzing on the waves; delighting in seeing the unexpected like a porpoise, whale, or manatee; enjoying the trip; and throwing away the schedule.

And so that's why I love my boat!

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 05-31-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Swallows seem to be attracted to her and we like Swallows.

(except when they decide to nest in the boom)

Well we still like then, just not that.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-01-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
It's paid for.

It's our escape when times turn from bad to worse.

Our back yard is really nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 06-01-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
I've always got something to spend money on

Old 06-01-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
no 11 does it for me

11) I love the way my boat reminds me to live slow. Life in the fast lane takes a heavy toll on all of us. We think we have no choice, but of course we do. Our sailboats remind us of the pleasure one can find in simple things. Experiencing the wind and water; talking; waltzing on the waves; delighting in seeing the unexpected like a porpoise, whale, or manatee; enjoying the trip; and throwing away the schedule.

Tom,

you are dead right - that is crucial

of course never seen a whale or a manatee from the slug - nor any where else come to that

seen a harbour porpoise though and that was very exciting and hoping that I shall see dolphins and maybe the odd killer whale as I go further north

Dylan

Old 06-01-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post

Wonderfully stated!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-01-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Not in any particular order, but 10: It was drawn by my favorite designer. It's very well built. It's mechanically straight forward. Everything mechanical/electrical/etc... is easily accessible. It's a great looking boat (to my eye at least) both in the slip and under sail... It's fast for it's size. It sails very very well in a wide range of conditions. The ergonomics of the cockpit and deck work well. It's very comfortable below for a racer/cruiser. It's easily sailed both crewed and short handed. It's a joy to both sail and work on... there. It's got '11'!
Old 06-01-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
the adventures its taken me on; the people I've met because of it; the sunsets I've toasted in its cockpit; the rhythm of it's motion in the water; the security that it will protect me; the graceful classic lines of its design; the closeness its inspired between me & Dan; the confidence I've gained when its pushed me to my limits; the life its given me in touch with nature; the light upon the water ...

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: