Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
how to make my boat easier so sail away

i know that there isn't any one around my mooring or any were that will take stuff from the boat. i want to leave the boat at the mooring so it's easier to sail and not have to worry about stepping the mast and unstepping it every time and putting it on the trailer and off. so it will be at the mooring how can i make it the easiest way to get on the boat and go sailing. with out it being a hassle. could i get a sail cover? how much are those? also what about a roller furler? home made?
Old 06-01-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Yeah...get a sail cover. How much?!?!?...who does canvas in your area? Ask them. You could also try Sailrite.com.

Roller furling's going to cost you more than you'll like. Homemade?....uh uh...don't think so. C'mon, we're talking about a 16 foot boat, so how hard is it to raise the jib? Just leave the jib hanked onto the forestay all the time and put a cover on it, too. Whole lot cheaper than roller furling. You can probably find a ready-made bag for it....Sailrite?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2011
Huck

o i didn't even think about make a bow bag for the jib thats a good idea thanks. and a sail cover sound a lot better than take the sail on and off every time. i sorry if i make it sound like a lot of work i just like to make the boat so if i wanna go for a sail all i have to do it row out there get on the boat raise the sail and go. not fumble around with the sails taking them out of the bag getting them read and raising them and going 15- 20 mins later 5 mins and i wanna be gone
Old 06-01-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
...not fumble around with the sails taking them out of the bag getting them read and raising them and going 15- 20 mins later 5 mins and i wanna be gone

There are a couple of boats set up like this in my marina, they call 'em power boats.

Just playing with ya, have fun out there.
Old 06-01-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Sail cover for the main and a jib cover so you can leave it hanked on. There you go. Easy as pie.
Old 06-01-2011
Huck

i just found out that theres a shop that sell all boating stuff all used. and they have used sailcover for 20$-$90 i'm going to go there and check it out soon.
Old 06-01-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
There ya go. Have Fun!!!! Also, you're going to want to check the boat place often for items you'll want and need.

Last edited by carl762; 06-01-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2013

norahs arc is on a distinguished road
Re: how to make my boat easier so sail away

Easy jib storage for short term is to leave it hanked on and after lowering it stuff it into a sail bag (with sheets still attached) and tie the sail bag securly to the bow pulput and or lifelines, cleats...or whatever is convenient.
Old 02-19-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

I understand the problem....

What paint do you have on your hull? Most trailerable boats do not have bottom paint. Unless you are in fresh water, you will need to paint you hull, or you will end up with a weedy bottom. With a small boat, it won't cost too much, but bottom paint runs around $250+ a gallon, and so is not cheap. But at least you'll have the trailer to haul and repaint!

I am guessing that you are talking about the Cornado - so remember to add zincs so your prop does not dissolve.
Old 02-19-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

I have roller furling and a sail cover on the main- and I wake up on my boat- and even if I readied everything last night- 15-20 mintues is a bit tight as far as sailing off the ball, or the hook. but that's part of "sailing" like- you are already "going Sailing" even though you havent made any way yet...

ditch the watch- and dont peak at the phone (at least on boat days). time flies when youre having fun.