Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
allene222,

You put together a great site! I particularly like having the wind forecast on the same page as the other weather data. Is the site editable so that I can move the observed wind near the wind forecast section? I scroll between the two because I like to see how accurate the forecast is.

Still, I think the page is going to be very useful to me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2011

allene222 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
allene222,

You put together a great site! I particularly like having the wind forecast on the same page as the other weather data. Is the site editable so that I can move the observed wind near the wind forecast section? I scroll between the two because I like to see how accurate the forecast is.

Still, I think the page is going to be very useful to me.
To tell the truth, the sections are arranged more or less as they load so that you can view the top of the page as the bottom is still loading. But tell me exactly what sections you would like to see together and I can look at moving them together. Most everything in the site is the result of user feedback so if you want something different, ask.

One of my best set of inputs comes from a coast guard dispatcher. He uses the site to, as he puts it, "save lives". You have no idea how good that makes me feel. Much of what is there is a result of his inputs. For example, the offshore forecasts (it can show 3 marine forecasts and not just the default 2) and the ability to show point forecast for both a starting location and an end location.

Please spread the word. I would like to see many more users. It grows every week but there is no advertising. I want it to grow slowly so I can implement changes that people want without being overwhelmed all at once.

Allen
Old 06-11-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Allen- I've been using your site since you first announced it here and it's great. I used to have several sites that I would check to get the information that you have compiled on one page. Excellent, and thanks again.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-11-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allene222 View Post
To tell the truth, the sections are arranged more or less as they load so that you can view the top of the page as the bottom is still loading. But tell me exactly what sections you would like to see together and I can look at moving them together.

Allen
I thought it would be nice to have the Wind Observation section (currently below the Tide and Current section) up under the Wind Forecast data. Keep like sections together. Not a huge deal, just an observation.

I'm using the site to plan our trip to the Wye River next weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-11-2011

allene222 is on a distinguished road
It is nice to hear you are using the site in your trip planning.

I moved the wind observations above the tides. There are really three wind observations, buoys, airports, and the wind observation section you are talking about. The one of interest depends on which one is closest to you which is different for every user. For example, my boat is near SFO so I virtually never look at the wind observation graph. As I said, they are where they are so they load in a way that it gives a good user experience and as that graph takes a long time to load, it ended up closer to the bottom of the page. That way, once you digest the top part of the page, the graph is already loaded. Of course, once it is loaded once, it is cashed and loads quickly until the timer wants to load it again.

Last edited by allene222; 06-11-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: indicate that I moved the wind graph as requested
Old 06-13-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Your site is now my primary weather information. While I really like the way NOAA provides info at their sites, yours is more comprehensive and easier to use. After your site I go to our marina site for wind information that is recorded only a few yards from my slip. Thank you for putting it together and sharing with us.
John
Old 06-13-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Found the site to be informative and easy to understand. Great when I have to teach weather to my students.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture