SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Backing a sailboat into a slip

22K views 66 replies 44 participants last post by  CapitainMike 
#1 ·
This may sound stupid for a sailor of many years, but now that I have gotten over the one foot-itis and have a Newport 30, I find myself in a slip where I have to back into it...HELP...going forward is not an issue, but I nearly killed my wife trying to back in to the slip last weekend...what is the secret? (and "don't do it " has already been offered by several sailing "friends", or at least they were last week)...
thanks
Ed Simpson
s/v Das Dawg Haus

#3 ·
If your boat is like mine, it crawls to port when you accelerate in reverse. I usually line up perpendicular to the slip, maybe a boat-length away and hit reverse. The rear end will go left as if on a pendulum. The more power in reverse you apply, the more to the left it will go. If you reduce the power, then eventually it will go backwards more straightly (I know, not a word) letting the rudder engage. Now this formula is all dependent on the direction and force of the wind. When you line up perpendicular and the wind is blowing hard to starboard, then you have to be aggressive about setting the boat motion into the wind and powering hard to get to face it. Anyway, it's fun to work on it and successfully accomplish it. Rope guides from the inside to the outside posts help a lot. Good Luck.

#41 ·
If you go to Port in reverse
Point your tiller to the Port but not more than 45 degrees from the centre line or it acts as a break. Let the momentum do the work and not to much of it either

#4 ·
Not really sure what you are asking for. What is the slip like? Why do you have to back in? How does the boat handle in reverse?

My boat has prop walk to port and handles decently in reverse. Key in my case is to get her moving enough to get rudder to grab, shift into neutral, and glide in.
I prefer to stand forward of the wheel, or tiller, looking to the stern. Get the boat moving in reverse enough for rudder to grab, shift into neutral to get rid of prop wash, and steer into slip. Use the prop walk to your advantage (either direction) to pull toward dock. Standing forward of the wheel makes it much more comfortable for me as it just seems comfortable.

Good luck! Hope your wife survives...or you in case you continue to screw up.:)

#5 ·
Does the term "Prop Walk" ring a bell? If not Google it and read up on it. Your Newport 30 is very similar to my Catalina 30. What I did was find an empty basin and drive the boat around backwards for a while. Start, turn, stop, repeat... about a zillion times until I got the hang of how much power it takes to get the boat moving, and how much correction it takes to neutraize the prop walk.

#6 ·
Don't know your slip arrangement, but a spring line might help, once you get close enough to the dock. I use one that is attached to the dock and laid out so I can pick it up with a boat hook and secure it to a midship cleat. Backing in at that point is child's play. The trip is to pick it up in the first place, which may take some practice.

#7 ·
I find backing into my slip easier than going in forward. My boat does back pretty well, so that helps. OTOH, I almost always have a cross wind.

The secret is to approach in reverse, rather than trying to switch into reverse right in front of the slip. With the usual prevailing winds, I head towards my slip in forward, then do a U turn when I reach it, and don't switch to reverse until I am a boat length or two away, and on the other side of the alley. (I have an unusually wide alley.) This gives me plenty of room to get water over the rudder to overcome the prop walk. I step around to the other side of the wheel, drop the throttle back to idle, and drive her in like a car. The cool part is, when you're moving in reverse, you can stop on a dime with a bit of forward thrust.

If your approach alley is too narrow, try entering the alley in reverse and backing in all the way. You might get some funny looks, but it works for my boat. It also helps to have fenders permanently set up in the slip.

#8 ·
Either reverse a lot prior to entering the slip. The boat will be moving and the rudder will be affective. The other method is to use bursts of forward to control the positon of the boat. When in forward the water from the prop passes over the rudder which makes it respond.Take the control to forward with some revs, position the rudder according to the direction you want to hold the boat. After the boats direction is OK, just rev, but consider your prop walk. You have to turn the boat less than the positon you want to hold if your prop walk adds to your direction, or more if it moves to other direction.

#10 ·
Gee tropicat, I always thought cats could just park over top a finger slip and the crew just jumps off without even tying a line! :D

I agree with others.. get the boat moving in reverse before trying to back it in. then use the momentum and be ready to "gun" it in forward to stop her just inches from the dock, while the current if there is any.. gently moves her against the finger pier. I've only done this a few times at a local marina that has an outdoor cafe the overlooks the docks.. ALL the patrons WATCH... one must stay cool!

#11 ·
When we used to back in, we found springlines to be our best friends (as mentioned above). If you have pilings at the entrance end of your slip, rig two long lines on the pilings. When you return, pull up the pilings and grab the lines. Then, as you back in, you can pull on the line on whichever side you want the boat to turn. Of course, do this very slowly so you don't pull the lines out of your hands. You could also give them a half turn on a cleat. I was able to hold the lines in my hands at the helm, center the wheel, and back in perfectly with just a little tension on whichever line was necessary to keep the boat straight. Just kept the rudder centered and throttle at idle in reverse. Just as you are about completely in the slip, cleat both lines and keep the engine in gear while you attach the rest of your docklines. That will keep the boat right where you want it while you hook everything up. It took a few attempts to get everything in sync, but once we had a patten down it i was easy as pie no matter how windy.

#12 ·
When backing and turning into our slip, wind and inertia are problems. There is no current which if present would be another problem.

When backing and turning, the boat continues to turn after straightening the the rudder, so I straighten the rudder a bit early, perhaps 10 - 15 degrees.

The wind typically blows toward the stern, and if very strong it is necessary to come into the slip faster to overcome the effect of the wind. The wind blowing toward the bow tends to turn the bow, is more difficult to handle, and I might decide to enter the slip bow first.

#13 ·
;) Rules when there is a crowd:

1. Act like you know what you are doing, even if you don't.
2. Plan ahead, issue no verbal commands to the crew. No words spoken, hand signals if necessary. Definitely no shouting.
3. Everyone walks, casual-like, no running, or big leaps.
4. If it goes bad, act like you planned it that way.
5. Beware of dock helpers unless you know them. They will do crazy things like try and pull you in with their backs, not cleat off, etc.

It's not how you dock, its how you look :)

#14 ·
Docking is a spectator sport. As long as you don't break something you will get the hang of it after awhile and you will wonder what was so hard in the first place. Unless there is a real need to back in I like to be in forward as there is much for privacy and I think more security. At my marina we have short permanent nonfloating docks and pilings. It would be an easier entry and exit to be backed in but I still prefer to be in bow first even though I have to board up by the bow.

#15 ·
You may have a boat that does not steer in reverse. I know I have had two! To be fair the Ryton did steer when at 3 knots or better but the Bombay - fuggedaboutit.

Solution sell current boat and buy a Bendytoy. You can slalom those backwards.

#65 ·
You may have a boat that does not steer in reverse. I know I have had two! To be fair the Ryton did steer when at 3 knots or better but the Bombay - fuggedaboutit.
I have a nonsteerable in reverse type as well. I don't have the room to be manuvering her in tight quarters in reverse and we're talking a 26' boat.
When leaving, I back her out with the rudder hard over and she's slightly angled when I clear the fingers. I have an outboard connected to the rudder so the outboard is turned as well. Then prop walk is also something that is pulling the stern over in that direction. Still, she doesn't turn worth a damn in reverse. To get her headed the right direction after backing out I have to throw it into forward which promptly swings the bow over and she's pointed straight out of the marina. It works perfectly, though a dock neighbor watching me for the first time looked a little concerned when I put her in forward while the bow was pointed at his boat. :laugher

You just gotta play with it and learn how your boat handles. Seriously though, my boat would make a 200 ft diameter circle if in reverse and 20-30ft if in forward. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
I've had two Newports and both of them don't like going in reverse. you need to get them moving straight in reverse first and then shift to natural and let you momentum guide you in. once you start to turn then if needed more power then you can kick it in R and back to N. Someone else commented about practice in an empty basin it really does help.
Fair winds
Peter

#18 ·
The B40 does not back strait either with her full keel. The rudder is useless in reverse. I usually go in bow to. But if there is no wind/current I get perpendicular to the slip and spin her in stern to clockwise using the prop walk. There is no shame in using lines and pulling her in.

Once I am in, I thank the dock hands and say to everyone else watching- 'Nothing to see here, carry on'

#19 ·
When backing into a slip, you have two ways to do it - the fast way, or the slow way.

If you go slow, the rudder won't be able to steer the boat. The prop walk will cause the boat to turn as it backs in. The key to success is to line up the boat correctly before you start to back in. If the boat is positioned correctly, it will back up while turning into the slip.

The fast way is to put the transmission in reverse, and accelerate to a sufficient speed that the boat will have steerageway. That means the rudder will be able to steer the boat. When you have steerageway, put the shifter in neutral, and steer the boat into the slip.

The best advice I can give is, don't think about the problem as you would if you were backing your car into your garage. When you back your car into your garage, you use the motor to get it all the way into your garage. You wouldn't back it to the entrance of the garage and then get out and push it in the rest of the way. But, when putting a boat in a slip, especially singlehanded, don't feel that you have to use the engine to get it all the way into the slip. If you can get the stern past the first two pilings, you can use a boat hook to pull the boat the rest of the way into the slip. I singlehand my 35' boat frequently, and always have the boat hook ready when backing into the slip, because, like most, I don't always get it lined up perfectly, and the boat hook makes virtually every docking a success.

With practice, your skill will improve, but to start, you need to just be able to push, pull or tug the boat into the slip without doing any damage. By doing so, your self-confidence will increase, and that will make it easier for you to learn and improve your skills.

#20 ·
Prop walk-Port or Starboard ? Find out if you have a right hand or left hand prop and you may then know which way your boat has a tendency to turn while backing up--Prop Walk-- (after reading on internet). "Usually a right-hand propeller will cause a boat to walk to port in reverse"(jimh). **You probably have an INBOARD with a left hand propeller with a Starboard prop walk direction of turning in reverse. You can use this to help steer !
--Get a Minn Kota electric motor and use as a stern thruster*(really), if your situation is not too extreme as far as wind and current.

#21 ·
Docking is an art

Since we don't know the full situation that's giving you the most problems, here is some quick advice:

1) You can't fight the wind or current and win. So, use them to your advantage!
2) The more you practice, the better you'll be.
3) Every boat handles differently, especially in reverse.
4) Unless you have water flowing over the rudder, the boat is going to "prop-walk" when throttle is applied...how much depends on the particular boat.
5) Travel within any marina should be done at the speed at which you plan on impacting things.:eek:
6) The rudder is what steers the boat...and it's located in the stern (this is opposite from your car).
7) Communicate the docking plan with your crew well before you approach the dock.
8) Yelling only makes things more entertaining for the rest of us.
9) Always look like you know what you're doing.

Advice for your Crew/Dockhand(s):

1) Communicate the docking plan with the Helmsman before the boat approaches the dock (and before bystanders are able to hear).
2) Preplace dock lines and fenders. Some Captains/Skippers, only need a couple fenders...some should line their entire boat with them.:eek:
3) Never run, walking quickly is OK.
4) Step from the boat onto the dock instead of jumping if at all possible.
5) Never get any part of your body between the boat and anything it's going to hit. A fiberglass repair job is cheaper than X-rays.
6) Do NOT try to pull on dock lines to stop or slow the boat. Instead, get the line wrapped around a cleat as quickly as possible. Learn how to "sweat" dock lines and attach them properly to the cleats.
7) Yelling at the Helmsman/Captain/Skipper will only add to the entertainment value for any bystanders.
8) Always look like you know what you're doing.

Practice, practice, and then practice some more.;)

For a docking simulator, go to the Presidio Yacht Club website.;)

Hope this helps,

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"

PS When you're really, really, really good, you'll be able to dock without crew...EVEN when you're on crutches!:eek: (Yep, I've done it.)

#22 ·
a good way to practice is to go do figure 8's in reverse out in open water where there is nothing to bump into. Do it in different orientations to the wind and you will have a good idea of how tightly your boat will turn in each direction and how much the wind tends to blow the bow off.

#23 ·
Docking is an art

Since we don't know the full situation that's giving you the most problems, here is some quick advice:

1) You can't fight the wind or current and win. So, use them to your advantage!
2) The more you practice, the better you'll be.
3) Every boat handles differently, especially in reverse.
4) Unless you have water flowing over the rudder, the boat is going to "prop-walk" when throttle is applied...how much depends on the particular boat.
5) Travel within any marina should be done at the speed at which you plan on impacting things.:eek:
6) The rudder is what steers the boat...and it's located in the stern (this is opposite from your car).
7) Communicate the docking plan with your crew well before you approach the dock.
8) Yelling only makes things more entertaining for the rest of us.
9) Always look like you know what you're doing.

Advice for your Crew/Dockhand(s):

1) Communicate the docking plan with the Helmsman before the boat approaches the dock (and before bystanders are able to hear).
2) Preplace dock lines and fenders. Some Captains/Skippers, only need a couple fenders...some should line their entire boat with them.:eek:
3) Never run, walking quickly is OK.
4) Step from the boat onto the dock instead of jumping if at all possible.
5) Never get any part of your body between the boat and anything it's going to hit. A fiberglass repair job is cheaper than X-rays.
6) Do NOT try to pull on dock lines to stop or slow the boat. Instead, get the line wrapped around a cleat as quickly as possible. Learn how to "sweat" dock lines and attach them properly to the cleats.
7) Yelling at the Helmsman/Captain/Skipper will only add to the entertainment value for any bystanders.
8) Always look like you know what you're doing.

Practice, practice, and then practice some more.;)

For a docking simulator, go to the Presidio Yacht Club website.;)

Hope this helps,

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"

PS When you're really, really, really good, you'll be able to dock without crew...EVEN when you're on crutches!:eek: (Yep, I've done it.)

#24 ·
+1 on practice. I prefer the slow and steady method. My last marina was VERY tight and I had to back in. Could approach from only one direction, not a full boat length the other direction between my dock and the fuel dock. What worked in that situation was
:
1-approach the end pilings to port and perpendicular to my dock barely fast enough to steer.
2- when piling was about mid-boat or a little forward turn starboard about 45 degrees.
3- bump transmission into reverse and use prop walk to bring the aft in line with my end pilings.
4- reverse and forward to keep boat in line until I could grab the up-wind mid cleated line onto a piling.

Did this every time I went out and back mostly by myself. Only had to pull out and try again a couple of times in very stiff cross wind. The key for me was moving SLOW and getting the upwind mid cleat line around a piling, from that point the boat wasn't going anywhere.

Good luck, lots of good advice already in this thread.

#25 ·
Questions:
Is there any way to start from 0 knots and then back your boat out of a slip without any lines attached? I single hand and find it impossible to untie the boat, jump on and back out. The prop walk makes her want to do a 360 in the slip. Have tried sputs of reverse power but nothing seems to work. I normally have a 15 knot wind trying to blow me back into the slip which does not help.

I have found the only thing I can do is pull the boat out as far as possible, then jump on and reverse out. By this time I am clear of obstacles and the prop walk is no a problem. Boat is an S&S 34.

#28 ·
Questions:
Is there any way to start from 0 knots and then back your boat out of a slip without any lines attached? I single hand and find it impossible to untie the boat, jump on and back out. The prop walk makes her want to do a 360 in the slip. Have tried sputs of reverse power but nothing seems to work. I normally have a 15 knot wind trying to blow me back into the slip which does not help.
This can be difficult. I've had success by angling the boat counter to the prop walk before engaging engine.
Two examples:

My last boat was a Catalina 36 with pronounce prop walk in reverse that would kick the stern to port. I was tied to the dock on the port side. I would release the lines such that my bow would be angled in towards the dock and my stern away from it. I had another sailboat to starboard but I could get a good 10 degree angle. Then I would engage the engine. By the time I would get some movement, the stern would have been kicked parallel. I could then shift into neutral and use the rudder to steer.

My current boat is larger, Catalina 400. I'm tied on the starboard side with very little room between me and the power boat to port. The alley behind my slip is maybe a couple feet wider than my boat length. I do the same thing here, but it is harder. The prop walk wants to pull my stern to port, yet to back out and then steer out of the marina I need to back out to starboard. Again, I'll angle the boat, bringing the stern into the dock as far as possible, engage the engine until I have motion, then use the rudder. Sometimes it just doesn't work (like today) and I ended up having to back all the way out of the marina.

Dave

#26 ·
My spring line (the one from the stern area) to my midship cleat is my first line to grab and last to loose when docking or backing out.

When comming in it will prvent me from hitting the dock ( I go bow first.) and will do the same when backing out. When backing out myself uncleat it from the mid ship cleat, I can hold it and control it with my hands until I am at the wheel, I can then give the endine some gas in reversae and slowly throw it on the finger opier, dock, or holder when backing out so its in position when i come in to grab

Dave

#33 · (Edited)
My spring line (the one from the stern area) to my midship cleat is my first line to grab and last to loose when docking or backing out.

When comming in it will prvent me from hitting the dock ( I go bow first.) and will do the same when backing out.

Dave
Thanks all for all the advice. This confirms there is no way to just jump on the boat and motor out without some kind of line control. I will do some experimentation to find what works best.
Aloha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.