Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011

HBBurlington is on a distinguished road
Question What's a good dehumidifier for a 30ft sailboat?

Hi,

We are looking at bringing a portable/small dehumidifier on board to reduce the dampness and musty smell.

Any suggestions?

We need to source it in the Burlington/Toronto Ontario area.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
You don't say whether you are at a slip with access to elec or not. If you do not have access to elec. There is a product in the state available in hardward store and the like called "Damp-Rid". It comes in a variety of configuations from a hanging bag to refilable canisters. In effect it draws the moisture from the air and drains the resulting water into a bag or other container. I like the bags as they are self contained and can be hung in closets. I don't know that they would be the solution for an ongoing continous problem with dampness. You probably need to figure out the underlying cause.
Old 06-06-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
This interesting as my boat has so much ventilation with the Dorade boxes and solar vents that i dont thing you could do much with a dehumidifier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2011

HBBurlington is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Yes, we have shore power at our slip, so I am looking to an electronic model that I can keep beside the sink for drainage during times when we are tied up, and away from the boat during the (business day/week).
I wouldn't run it off the batteries.

This boat is new to us, and has some history where it was not kept very clean.
We've been turning this around very slowly, with a really thorough cleaning to the saloon and bilge, and are working our way through the boat.

It is getting better, and I'd want to continue that trend as the summer season grinds up here. The boat is kept sealed during the day.
While I'd like some nicro solar vent$, that is another project down the road.
Looking for a small unit that we can keep on the counter next to the sink with a drain tube...
Old 06-06-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBBurlington View Post
We are looking at bringing a portable/small dehumidifier on board to reduce the dampness and musty smell.

Any suggestions?
Just go to your local home improvement store and get something like this. It doesn't have to be any particular brand, but these are the type of features you would be looking for.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 06-06-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
I use one of the round dehumidifiers, probably available almost any boat supply place even a fishing boat place. You'll find black mold will want to grow around hatches and hidden spots that might sweat or get some moisture. A scrub down with a strong bleach solution helps get rid of bad spots.
WEST MARINE Air Dryer Dehumidifier at West Marine
Mario Trottier likes this.
Old 06-06-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I don't think the air dryer mentioned in capttb's post is a true dehumidifier, it's a small heater and warming the air will tend to keep more moisture in suspension.

A true dehumidifier will need to have accumulated water removed periodically or drained somehow.

We've messed around with the small compact 'dehumidifiers' and after frequent failures have moved to a typical room-sized model from Sears or whomever. It's a bit of a pain to carry out to the car for off season trips but it's done a stellar job of keeping the boat dry. We run it at 45-50% setting and books and paper stay crisp, no mold or mildew anymore even in our damp environment here in Vancouver. In shoulder season times there's enough waste heat to keep the edge off below.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-06-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
I use one of the round dehumidifiers, probably available almost any boat supply place even a fishing boat place. You'll find black mold will want to grow around hatches and hidden spots that might sweat or get some moisture. A scrub down with a strong bleach solution helps get rid of bad spots.
WEST MARINE Air Dryer Dehumidifier at West Marine
As Faster mentioned, the WM Air Dryer simply provides a tiny bit of warmth, and moves the air around slightly. It does help with condensation, but doesn't remove water from the air. I actually have two of the on my boat, one in the forward V-birth and one in the aft cabin or aft shower (shower if we have been using the shower while out on the boat, aft cabin if not). However, in the main salon I have the dehumidifier to actually dry the air. It is a very good combination for those with shore power.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 06-06-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
The OP may want to look at this thread:

Damp cabin

...and this one:

Tiny Dehumidifiers

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-06-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
For the kind of money being bandyhood for a true dehumdifier ($183??) I'd just get a portable A/C unit. You can get those on Amazon for only $100 more. Then you'd have the benefit of dehumdification as well as cooling in the summer.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.