Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
FWIW,

Be sure you have some towels and a good wool blanket on board.

This equipment may be a given for many cruising boat but a lot of race boats have nothing on board for warming a hypothermic MOB... a recovered MOB faces further risk...
Old 06-09-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Rik, I think you are going to find that MOB incidents are pretty rare occurrences, rarer still is the notion of going over in an unconscious state.
George

I hope you are correct. Linda is as qualified as I am - both "SN" in the Power Squadron. Both of us swim like fish. Both of us handle the boat, but I would hate to be in a spot where I was the lone person trying to get another back on board.

That said - Linda's the one I want by my side when things go South.

And yes - we do have the "gear" and we do wear auto inflate PFDs underway.

Best to you and Mrs. B

Rik
Old 06-09-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Practice with a PFD thrown overboard - after a few hundred tries, you'll get very good at returning to the MOB in a controlled and slow manner even in heavy seas & winds.

if the person is wearing a PFD he'll be able to remain coherent in even fairly cold water ( lower 50s ) for quite some time,

It is rare for a full on MOB to happen, my experience is the usual event is a person slips and falls ( mostly ) out of the boat grabbing on for dear life to a liefeline or the end of a sheet - another reason to wear a real PFD ( not inflatable ).

A 'real' PFD has plenty of places to grab onto a near MOB who is half in the water and yank them back aboard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
One thing that has not been addressed is the use of the dinghy. Maybe no one has stated it because it is obvious?

Anyway, my first line of defense when cruising, after deploying extra flotation, is stop the boat and jump in the dinghy. It's much easier to get a person into an inflatable.

If the person is in danger of drowning, screw the boat. Luff the sails and jump in the inflatable. Even if the engine is not mounted I could probably row back to the victim faster the dousing sails and doing figure eights. One thing is for sure, I would be alongside them on the first pass.

I always have a hand held VHF and if need be I can call for help once I get them alongside the dinghy.

Aside from that, I'm a firm believer in inflatable PFD's with a safety harness and all crew wears one in nasty weather or cold water. A 4-1 vang with snap shackles will pull anyone out of the water. Might not be pretty, but it will work.

When I single hand I use a short tether to a single jack line down the center of my boat that ends amidships on a cleat about four feet from the bow.. It is not possible for me to go over the side, even at the bow.
Old 06-09-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
FWIW,

Be sure you have some towels and a good wool blanket on board.

This equipment may be a given for many cruising boat but a lot of race boats have nothing on board for warming a hypothermic MOB... a recovered MOB faces further risk...
We always keep a sleeping bag on board. People get cold in the PNW. Having had hypothermia once (not sailing related), it's a small amount of extra gear that's well worth keeping on the boat.

Rob, your suggestion might work in calm water, but would be very impractical and even deadly out in large ocean swells and waves.
Old 06-10-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post

Rob, your suggestion might work in calm water, but would be very impractical and even deadly out in large ocean swells and waves.

I should have noted that I don't get far off shore and choose my weather.
Old 06-10-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I'm not sailing offshore either.

When I recovered my overboard spinnaker, it was VERY choppy, and 15kts of breeze. I'm fully confident in my ability to manuver the boat in tight circles around the MOB. I'm fully confident in my ability to snag someone with my gaff. Now I want to refine my ability to actually get them back in the boat.

I'll be peforming my recovery test/drill this weekend while I'm on vacation. On my boat, I do not expect to use the boom. I'm going to attach my vang to main halyard, and then try my spinnaker halyard in a separate test. The vang will be attached to the MOB's harness or the Lifesling.

The vang tackle and halyard winch will be used to get the MOB high enough to bring them into the cockpit or on the deck.

The next test will involve using a primary winch. I have Barient 23-2's which should provide more than enough mechanical advantage for lifting even a heavy MOB. The problem I may have, is that I'll need a turning block for the halyard.

My test will assume an injured, but conscious MOB who is incapable of climbing the boarding ladder. I'll try to use my fancy new smartphone to take some video or photos.

Oh- Rik's burden of proof is somewhat demanding. I will certainly not be chucking my daughters over the side, in the Chesapeake Bay in 20kts of southerly breeze just to satisfy his curiosity. If I conduct any advanced tests in heavy weather, it will be with a very fit adult with rescue training, wearing safety gear.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-10-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I will certainly not be chucking my daughters over the side, in the Chesapeake Bay in 20kts of southerly breeze just to satisfy his curiosity.
My "little girl" is now 35 with two fantastic kids of her own. (two of the four greatest grand kids in the world - just ask me!) BUT - between the ages of 15 and 22 there were many times I entertained the thought of chucking her overboard in 20 plus knots of winds in icy conditions, and I didn't even have a boat then.

I have heard that when asked about the possibility of a divorce, the famous research team of Masters and Johnson replied:

"Divorce, no, never thought of it. Homicide a couple of times but never divorce."
Old 06-10-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Bubble, you can use the tail of a sheet. Cleat the bitter end to an aft horn cleat, drape it over the side, then up to a winch. The MOB can put a foot on the line, you winch them up. We pulled a diver with full gear on out of the water using this technique. Sorry for the cut and paste from post #8, but it works.
Old 06-10-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
The problem with all of the winching scenarios, is that they require the person left on board to be imaginative, and well versed in the boats lines, and equipment.

In my case I can singlehand lift any of my crew out of the water and on the freeboard, (and I have done so when they wanted back aboard after swimming), But visa-versa is not going to work. Basically if I can't get myself back aboard, I'm not going to.

It is a priority to at least train my oldest son when he gets older, until then I need to take precautions not to ever leave the boat.