Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I've never used one before, don't use one now and probably never will. And my anchoring is not something I worry about now. It may be if there's a swivel in play.

It's an additional expense I can do without.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
If you bring your anchor up at a measured pace, any twist in the chain will have a chance to unwind as you spray our glorious Chesapeake mud off. *grin*

My last boat had a swivel that came with the boat. My current boat doesn't have one and I don't miss it at all. Fewer pro's than con's in my mind.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2013

sierradave is on a distinguished road
Re: Swivel Shackle or Not?

I'm just off the phone with Lewmar tech support, because I've been having troubles with my new anchor rode (50' chain, 200' rope) jamming on retrieval. He highly suggests the swivel, because the rope wants to twist (or untwist) as it gets paid out or pulled back. That all gets "pushed down the line" to the chain, and the anchor has way too much inertia to be spun around so the twisting gets bottled up in the chain.

From that advice I think I'm going to go ahead and add the swivel, sizing it as large as I can to attach to the chain. I may just keep it on there for a while, in hopes that the twists inherent in a new rode all smooth out over time. (For now we're just in San Francisco Bay; we're upgrading things before the big cruise.)

Last edited by sierradave; 08-13-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradave View Post
I'm just off the phone with Lewmar tech support, because I've been having troubles with my new anchor rode (50' chain, 200' rope) jamming on retrieval. He highly suggests the swivel, because the rope wants to twist (or untwist) as it gets paid out or pulled back. That all gets "pushed down the line" to the chain, and the anchor has way too much inertia to be spun around so the twisting gets bottled up in the chain.

From that advice I think I'm going to go ahead and add the swivel, sizing it as large as I can to attach to the chain. I may just keep it on there for a while, in hopes that the twists inherent in a new rode all smooth out over time. (For now we're just in San Francisco Bay; we're upgrading things before the big cruise.)
If you are determined to add a swivel, use a short length of chain between the anchor and the swivel such that the swivel cannot be subjected to side or prying loads, which are a major contributor to their failure. Using "Brait" rather than 3-strand eliminates the issue of twist in rope rode; and, takes less space in one's chain locker.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradave View Post

If you're having a problem with 'twist', I'm assuming we're talking about 3-strand rope, no? In that case, it's a bit surprising to hear such a recommendation from Lewmar...

Because, the use of a swivel with 3-strand rope will allow the rope to begin to 'unlay' under extreme loads... Not likely to be a problem in ordinary anchoring scenarios, but I certainly wouldn't want to head off on your big cruise with such a setup...

HyLyte is right, if you're gonna be using a mixed rode, brait is the way to go...

Next time you're out sailing, you might try trailing your rode behind you for awhile, might be a short term solution to eliminating some of the twist in your new rope...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-13-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I had an oversized swivel shackle on my rhode. When I transferred it to my new (to me) boat with an anchor roller I found that it created more problems than it ever solved.

My mooring does have a huge swivel, but that's semi-permanent so it needs one.
Old 08-14-2013
Scurvy Dog

Reef33 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Swivel Shackle or Not?

Since we're on the subject of swivels, does anyone have an opinion on whether to use an eye-to-eye or an eye-to-jaw type swivel on a mooring chain? I had read somewhere that someone did not recommend using the eye-to-jaw type, but they didn't give a reason.

If you use the eye-to-eye type then you have to use an extra shackle, so I don't see the benefit of doing that. I actually can't see a reason to not use a jaw-to-jaw swivel and eliminate the extra shackles altogether. Thoughts?

Scourge of the Upper Chesapeake since 1993.