Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011

beanctr56 is on a distinguished road
I am right-handed and sit on the starboard side of my dingy and steer with my left hand. I have also done that for many years on my outboard skiff. Your right hand is better used for things like; hanging on, fishing, holding a beverage etc.

As a side note I would never tell someone they were on the wrong side and were stupid, but then again I live in the South not in NY (anymore).

R
Old 06-08-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'm not a lefty but I sit to starboard and steer left handed for the reason the OP described..... tell your buddy...... well, maybe just ignore him.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Better yet! Let your buddy stay home and mow the lawn, clean the garage and so forth. Then find someone who is knowledgable but don't flaunt it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 06-08-2011

glassdad is on a distinguished road
If you sit on the starboard side you hold the tiller with your left hand. Some people ma have trouble steering with the left hand if they are right handed. You should steer with what ever feels good. There is no right way of dooing it.
Old 06-08-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
in the caribbean i occasionally anchored a long way from shore. I would switch sides from time to time so I wouldnt get a stiff neck from always looking over the same shoulder
Old 06-08-2011

Anaconda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusnyc View Post
Hi, the other day a friend of mine, gave me a hard time because I sat on the starboard side of my dinghy (Zoom, 8.6 ft). I sit on that side because I am lefty, and it feels much more comfortable to grab the tiller of the engine with my left arm. Also, the gear switch is facing the starboard side, so I can reach it and see it directly.

My friend gave me first a bad look about sitting on the starboard side. Then he told me that the correct way was was to sit on the port side (even when it was much harder to change the gears). He said that I will have "problems in the future" if I sit on the starboard side, but he didn't explain what kind of problems. He said that "if I would know what I am doing, I would be sitting on the port side, not on the starboard".

I couldn't find anything online about the "correct" side to sit on a dinghy. Another friend told me that I should sit wherever I feel more comfortable.

Is there a right side to sit on an inflatable Zodiac 8.6ft with a Tohatsu engine?

Thanks for your comments.

Gus
I think that the starboard side is better if the tiller and throttle are on the port side. You then reach across to hold the tiller in a more comfortable position. More importantly when starting you will be on the c/line with your right pulling arm over the left steering arm across your body. Its almost impossible to do from the port side. Your mate is actually wrong!
Old 06-08-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
My previous summer pass time was riding motorcycles.

The first time I got in a dinghy, I sat on port and tried to steer with my right hand.

The throttle of an outboard feels a lot like a motorcycle throttle.

The throttle of an outboard works opposite of a motorcycle throttle. It rolls away from you to decelerate, towards you to accelerate exactly in opposition to what a motorcyclist "knows".

Ever heard of a learning principle called the law of primacy? It says you'll revert to what you learned first when under stress.

So, of course when I was aimed right at a piling, I slammed the throttle "shut" which was actually wide full open. Fortunately, I only had about 2 feet to gather speed before center punching the piling.

I sit on starboard and steer left handed now. No Problem!
Old 06-08-2011

fordo is on a distinguished road
Your friend said that the east and west are equally good for passage through the East River past Roosevelt Island? Only if you like losing your mast to a bridge and a 5 knot current. Ignore him, he's an ignoramous
Old 06-08-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Get new buddy
Old 06-09-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
As a long time liveaboard and dinghy user I can give you the definitive answer to this question.

Learn to drive from both sides so that you can sit on the DRY side of the dink when there is some chop and the wind is blowing the spray.

Otherwise learn to live with a soggy bottom and salt on your face.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.