Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011

aimcat is on a distinguished road
Is learning to sail hard? Tips and advice?

My husband and I are new to sailing - had power boats for years and want to give sailing a go. Is sailing hard to learn and teach yourself? We dont have anyone on our lake that we know that could teach us so we wanted to teach ourseleves. We are thinking of either getting a Hunter 22 or a RL24. Is it possible for us to teach ourselves? Or does that sound crazy?! Haha. Thanks any tips and advice are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I read a lot and taught myself to sail many years ago. Had been out a few times on other people's sailboats, but that's about it. That said, I made a lot of dumb mistakes early on that I would have avoided if I had taken some classes. If you can take a course somewhere (make it a vacation!) that would be the way to go.

Sailing is like a lot of sports. The basics are pretty easy, but it takes a lot of time, experience, and study to get really good at it. Even after almost 40 years of owning a sailboat I am still learning new things.
Old 06-08-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimcat View Post
Is learning to sail hard? Tips and advice?
No at all. Take a few ASA lessons is much easier and then read and read everything in sailing. This will eliminate frustration and make sailing a positive experience. Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-08-2011

Piratesoul is on a distinguished road
self-taught sailing

I learned to sail by reading, Invitation to Sailing, by Alan Brown. I would read, sail and experiment, and read more until I got it right. I also started on a small boat, 12', which helped tremendously when I moved up to bigger boats.

"Climb theWind"
Old 06-08-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
The wife and I bought an old Columbia 26 several years ago with the idea that we would learn to sail and then upgrade. We read, watch others, watched Youtube, talked to the old salts, and then took the boat out. We actually had our first outing the day after we bought the boat.

Research before you go out, but sailing, or at least learning the concepts of sail trim, seem to come naturally when you're out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 06-08-2011

TimofBlindSquirrel is on a distinguished road
As a former instructor, I would recommend starting on something smaller. 16' X-Class or a Flying Scott. They are very forgiving boats and it will help you understand what is happening with your weight distribution, sail handling, and steering.

Read everything you can on sailing, but I do recommend taking a few lessons. Contact your local power squadron, community rec center, etc. If you take lessons you will fall in love with sailing. If you try to teach yourself, you may end up frustrated and not wanting to pursue it.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-08-2011

koconnell is on a distinguished road
If you have never sailed before, I would suggest taking some type of class before going out on your own. After that, a 22-24 ft. boat should be a fairly stable boat to start on. If you begin in calm winds and also have a small motor on board, you will be just fine.

I think the most important thing to realize is that you will make mistakes. Don't let them ruin your day, learn from them and move on. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2011

Bump is on a distinguished road
Learning to sail

When I was 10 my father bought me a 10' Sailfish.After he and I rigged it (took a while as neither of us had ever been on a sailboat) we put it in the water, put me in it and I went sailing. I spent a wet and wild summer learning to get that boat from point A to someplace else but did not drown and learned to love sailing. Been doing it off and on for 55 years now, stll no lessons and now own a 28 keel boat that I dearly love. Just watch the weather, do some reading and go for it. Lessons would be nice though.
Old 06-08-2011

Cptken is on a distinguished road
It depends on your personalities. If you or one of you are easily frustrated, get lessons. Trying to teach a spouse while you are learning yourself may or may not work. The concepts are pretty simple, but are different than a power boat, sometimes a good instructor is needed to make the light go on. No matter which way you try, learn from your mistakes, but stay at it. It is a life time sport that will bring hours of enjoyment. Stay safe and definitely get a motor on anything big enough to have one. Virginia summer time weather has a habit of turning nasty quickly.
Old 06-08-2011

Piratesoul is on a distinguished road
If your ever in Daytona Beach give me holler, I have a business where I teach people how to sail on the water in one day....no classroom stuff

"Climb theWind"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.