a crack! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-09-2011 Thread Starter

a crack!

i found this yesterday and im trying to determine how it happened.. a bump on a piling? brittle spray liner which is what is cracked, hard flexing? i tuned the rig to the specs of Tom Schock over the phone and i took it out yesterday to see if there were any changes while under sail on tack and no matter port or starboard it stayed the same. im really hoping its just cosmetic and i can fix it with some glass but my real concern is does it look structural and not sound to sail ? or something i can do asap without causing serious damage?

a crack!-crack31.jpg

a crack!-crack21.jpg
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-09-2011
me at 67!

what make boat? what year? Looks like hull flex

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #3 of 20 Old 06-09-2011 Thread Starter

a 93 Santana 2023 and thank you for the response
post #4 of 20 Old 06-09-2011

both port and starboard? Does the width of the crack change depending on which tack you are on?
post #5 of 20 Old 06-09-2011

While that doesn't look like a structural problem that would keep you from sailing, the tension in the shroud is the big suspect. You say you recently tuned the rigging. Was it slack before? If that cracked tabbing was put in place while the rig was slack and hence didn't put any strain on it, that may explain the issue. In any case, I am not familiar with the spray material you used there but I think you should glass it if you need flexibility compatible with your hull and deck.

1978 Gulfstar 50'
Clark Sailing Dinghy 10'
post #6 of 20 Old 06-09-2011 Thread Starter

the spray was from the factory. which ever tack i am on it stays the same as i was thinking that on a port tack it might open up a bit if it was due to the rigging. in years past it was too loose and this year i got some info from Schock then tightened her up.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-09-2011

If you didn't hit something or sailed in a storm when this happened, it is most likely due to the new rigging tension. If you are confident about your rigging tune job, that I think you should glass get rid of this spray tabbing and use fiberglass and do that for every other place this was used. Factory choices are not always the best ones. Just my opinion as I said I am not familiar with this material. Brittle structural members have no place on a boat.

1978 Gulfstar 50'
Clark Sailing Dinghy 10'
post #8 of 20 Old 06-09-2011
Reward for lost Kraken!

I guess the question is, is that "bulkheadette" really structural?

Can't tell from the pictures but it looks rather small, like the edge of a bookshelf as opposed to a large bulkhead separating compartments.

It sure looks like it let go because of tension from the chainplate above it, but that could also just be fatigue from xx many cycles of tacking, as the tension was applied and released and a marginal bond from the initial layup finally let go.

If there's just a bookshelf there...no big deal. If it is structural, you've probably got to take it apart, slack off the rigging, fab it back up. Kinda looks like it was finished with that "popcorn" used on home ceilings at that time.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-09-2011

What is the backing plate behind the crack ? I see nuts,I think???

If it is not getting any larger on either tack then I would most likely just relax the rigging and do some glass work and then tighten it back up.I assume it is a 20' foot boat and it should not take much time to clean that out and rework the tab.Then you will be on your way sailing once again.Just be neat and tape everything off and put plastic everywhere as to catch the mess.
As said before the spray reminds me of the ceiling texture used in houses.

Last edited by BEENONLANDTOOLONG; 06-09-2011 at 01:58 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-09-2011 Thread Starter

its a 23 so not a big job. there is just a shelf there that stores random items, nothing heavy. i tried slacking off on the rigging and it didnt close itself up at all but i definately want to glass and do it right. ill take it out tonight when the wind dies down a bit and recheck it to see if there is any change when close hauled. thanks

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.