Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
So much for the can-do spirit!

Give up now. Don't read SemiJim's post for inspiration. Just give up!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Gary,
Just curious, what kind of boat is she?

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-14-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Gary

I feel your pain and 1.5 years later i did pass a REAL survey and should launch this month or early July depending on lining up the truck to move the boat back to the marina

Just over the weekend when i finished scraping the bottom i found one capped off through hull that gave me a funny feeling and i removed it and was out there last night till 9PM glassing over the old hole

I think my one big advantage was having worked in a boat yard i new doing the refit there would have killed my budget and only bought the boat once i was sure i could legally move it to my home to work on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 06-14-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
So much for the can-do spirit!

Give up now. Don't read SemiJim's post for inspiration. Just give up!
Idiot, we are talking about a boat, not giving up. If I was looking for sympathy I might have mentioned I had surgery for prostate cancer on March 7 too. And yes it went well.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Gary,
Just curious, what kind of boat is she?

Jim
Jim,
It's a 1984 Etap 26. Retractable bulb keel and double hull with 100% foam flotation, no bilge pumps. I was attracted to the boat by lots of clever engineering, except for that keel trunk thing where they blew it completely. The problem is I didn't distinguish between used, and USED UP. Also all the repairs done previously owner were either bad or incorrect. So things that should have been simple to repair often required replacement.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 06-14-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Gary where is the boat? Maybe a few of us local to you could come by and help you out!

my current "project"!
Old 06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Gary,
You can e-slap me for asking the obvious if you like....and I'm not trying to rub anything in......but did you have a marine surveyor go over the boat prior to purchase? I know 6500 isn't a mega-yacht purchase, and I'm not sure what a survey would cost on that size purchase?

I'm putting feelers out for a boat in that range towards the end of this sailing season, and your story makes me think no matter what the cost, a survey is in order. Any thoughts or advice in retrospect?
No,
I didn't have a survey. It was only a little money, I paid cash, I'm a good mechanic, what could go wrong? HA HA HA HA HA!

When I pulled her out of the water to do the keel I expected to be back in for the next season a little late. Then my company sent me out to a job in California in the spring. I got stuck there working 12-15 hours a day for 49 days. Then last spring some paint stripper destroyed a large area of gelcoat in the spring, right before it got REALLY hot.

Had I known the boat wasn't going to get done in one off season I had several options that would have been cheaper than what I spent now. I could of simply paid say 5 to 10 grand and had the yard fix it, and go sailing.
I could have paid about $1200 and had it trucked to my house. That would have cut off the yard bills, and eliminated a 2 hour round trip. Then I could have worked on it a few hours each night. Back in 1980 I had a Hunter 27 that I redid the interior on. Then I owned a large truck and built a trailer to bring it home. I'd come home from work and go out in the boat. My wife would tap on the hull when dinner was ready, and I'd work until dark. I got a lot done at low cost.

By the way this is my second bad boat. I also had a Catalina 22 I bought as a basket case. I put over $5,000 and 5 years in it and had it almost done. Then I lost my job when my employer got sued and closed. I wound up selling it for $1,000 because it was in a barn that had just been sold by a friend, and suddenly I was paying rent too.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Gary where is the boat? Maybe a few of us local to you could come by and help you out!
Denise,
Nice of you to offer, it's in Beachwood on Tom's River. I've had a guy working on the interior, but two weeks ago his wife was killed in a horrific car accident. I've also had a guy I work with helping me a a little too. Part of the problem is that I have other priorities too.

I have a seven year old grandson Tyler. His donor is too busy cheating on his third wife to bother with him, so I play dad. He's been playing baseball. His team had two ties and 14 wins this season, and Saturday won the playoff game 10 to 1. I was at every game, and helped the coaches out as much as I could after surgery. Last year when it was clear the Etap 26 wan't going in the water I bought a sailing dinghy. We sailed it once before he tripped over a tree root and broke his foot! That ended sailing for the year. We've been out once in the dinghy this year, on a local lake.

Last Sunday he told his mother "This wasn't a fun weekend, Pop wasn't with me" Tough to work on the boat when I'd rather be with him!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 06-14-2011

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Gary,
I was just joking. Happy to see those animal spirits! Apologies.
Old 06-14-2011

frank31 is on a distinguished road
Hi Gary,
Glad to know I'm not the only one spending more time at Little League than sailing. Old boats and young kids!