Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011

Curtisfromcarlsbad is on a distinguished road
I broke the $4000 mast on my brand new $40,000 Macgregor 26m on a tree when driving slow speed towards the launch ramp after struggling for three hours to rig the boat the first time. I was in a hurry to sail that first day and I never did , I just drove the 32 miles home with the bent 30' mast . My privates shriveled up and I felt castrated. I was crushed but undauntedly kept trying on other days until I got it. My wife wants nothing to do with sailing and was furious with me for getting the Mac and my latest craze the Snipe. She told me I am crazy. She has cooled off since then, I am calm and unexplosive so it allows her to vent without a marital problem. She is mad because I lost $10,000 when I sold the Mac for $30,000. I understand her frustration. I work my ass off though and am a good provider. So I lost $10,000 plus $300 for the deductible with BOAT US on that mast deal (deal)? BOAT US was exemplary by the way and handled my claim quickly and easily.That's why I bought the $850 used Snipe. I will be able to sail and it didn't break the bank much. Yet ! Just kidding. The reason I write this is that I empathize with you. I have gone through a similar boat related financial loss. I can't give advice as I am too novice to sailing with only about a years experience. I've got the sailing bug though and the last winter without a sailboat has been agonizing. I surf and snowski heavily but I think I like sailing even more. I seemed to think about having a sailboat every day since I sold the Mac. I feel much better now that I have the Snipe. I wish this did not happen to you. I hope things somehow get better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
I spent $6500 for my 1975 Newport 28 with an Atomic 4 engine back in 2007. She was sailable immediately, but in the passing years I've completely rewired her engine electrical system; replaced the head gasket, water pump, exhaust system, manifold, and carburetor; had the alternator rebuilt; had to have extensive patching of my genny and a cunningham cringle added to the main; and added various bits of deck hardware here and there.

My hope for the boat was that the family would take an interest, but that never happened and I single handed most of the time, with my nephew serving as crew occasionally. Now he's married and wants to raise a family, so I've lost him as well.

Now I've decided to sell the girl after this season, and I plan on fixing up the shore power, alcohol stove, and sinks to good condition, and replace the old through hull valves before I sell her.

I have no idea how much I've put into her, but I look at it as money spent on entertainment. Since I am not buying a replacement boat, I'm planning on letting her go for some amount that will guarantee she sells -- if I get my last year's slip fee out of her, I'll be happy.

My point is not put sneak a for-sale ad into the thread, but to point out that I think the important aspect of buying a boat is to make sure you can sail her right away. Unless you drive her off the lot, any boat you get is going to need some kind of work, so why pick one that you can't get on the water RIGHT NOW, and do the maintenance in the off season or during the height of the doldrums in mid-summer?

Of course, this doesn't help anyone already trapped on the hard with a project boat -- but I think it's good advice for those looking for their first boat. When I was shopping around I turned down a boat just because we couldn't get the engine started when I looked at her. The owner swore it'd start right up with a fresh battery, but it sounded like it was turning over OK to me, and as simple as a marine gas engine is, if it won't start right up God knows what might be wrong with it. The gal I finally bought fired right up and we had a nice sea trial. And that was the final decider for me: no good sea trial, no sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook