SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   tankless water heater (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/75242-tankless-water-heater.html)

waterwks4me 06-12-2011 08:07 PM

tankless water heater

I need to replace my Raritan water heater but don't necessarily want to go the same route with another. Has anyone considered or replaced the standard water heater with a tankless on demand water heater? There are a couple of marine 120V 20A units out there.

MARC2012 06-13-2011 04:50 AM

I had one on a motor sailor I had yrs. ago and liked it.It was a prpoane model though.marc

Maine Sail 06-13-2011 07:18 AM

As long as it is electric and not propane you'll be fine provided it is installed correctly. There are no on-demand vent-less propane heaters that meet the applicable marine safety standards..

waterwks4me 06-13-2011 08:12 AM

To me, it seems to make sense but have not heard or seen anyone use it. Thanks for the input.

jimrafford 06-26-2011 05:28 PM

I installed the Precision temp. on demand water heater this past spring. It does need to be vented and I installed a propane sensor next to it.
This past weekend was our first weekend that we had the chance to give it some exercise. First oppinion, awsome! Endless hot water for showers. The factory settings has the water delivered at 120 degrees. May adjust that up a little.
Jim

WanderingStar 06-27-2011 08:53 AM

Thanks.

tdw 06-27-2011 05:11 PM

It seems to me that hot water is the last great frontier. Here on the new boat we have more than adeqate solar, also wind and a high output Balmar alternator. Not to mention the towable jobby if things get really desperate.

The reality is that we can survive without running the engine at all, except when we need to move the boat under power or if we have a prolonged cold windless cloudy rainless spell.

Nonetheless if we want to have hot water we need to run the bloody engine an hour a day. It somewhat beggars belief that no one has managed to come up with a half way decent 12v hot water heater. I guess there is simply not enough demand to justify the research and development into more efficient heating elements. Thats about the only thing I can think of.

remetau 06-27-2011 06:14 PM

We have an Excel propane heater that runs on LPG. I installed an extra water solenoid for safety protection. It isn't certified, and it would most likely be flagged by a surveyor, but it has worked flawlessly for over a year with us showering on board all the time during that period.

If you like hot water, then it is a great option. If you are concerned with standards and regulations, then maybe you should stay with the standard 120v or engine driven heater until the US regulators realize that this is a great alternative.

speciald 06-27-2011 06:43 PM

Tankless, residential water heaters draw alot more power than a normal boat could deliver - usually over 100 amps.