Alan and Stewy - brilliant engineers - amazing blokes fix the slug - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Gadgies fix the slug for freemans - great blokes - two films

the engine mounts on the MD1 in the bowels of the slug parted company - the bill was going to be £1,000.

Two blokes from Darlington said they would fix the boat for fun, all the bbeer they could drink in one night, the price of the raw materials for fabricating replacement mounts and a tank full of diesel

this is the story of a most remarkable 36 hours

the last two films on the end of this page

2011 Video Logs « Keep Turning Left

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 06-14-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
WTG Dylan !
You must be liveing right , thats how things come back to you
Old 06-14-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Crikey, all the beer they can drink in one night ? Man that was taking a risk.

Well done those men, the Slug lives, we all go on our way laughing and rejoicing. Huzza !

(off to watch the fillum, back in a while.)

edit - well done indeed. What a result. Admit it DW you are starting to get a bit fond of the old girl aren't you ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 06-14-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Crikey, all the beer they can drink in one night ? Man that was taking a risk.
Since they (presumably) weren't Aussies, it was probably not as much of a risk as Fuzzy might be used to.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-14-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
geordies v aussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Since they (presumably) weren't Aussies, it was probably not as much of a risk as Fuzzy might be used to.
blimey that would be a drink off

they drank me under the table - the next morning - right as rain

they could also drink tea like it was going out of style

engineering was impeccable though

wonderful blokes - great accents - both sailors

Dylan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
blimey that would be a drink off

they drank me under the table - the next morning - right as rain

they could also drink tea like it was going out of style

engineering was impeccable though

wonderful blokes - great accents - both sailors

Dylan
Not if the Australian was me DW. I'd be found having a quiet kip under the same table as you.

This may start a war I realise, but it always has amazed me that while the English are renowned for their tea drinking I have rarely had a half way decent cup of tea in the place. Weak, overly milky slush most of it. Then again look at the rubbish the Americans call coffee.

Did once spend a couple of nights camping out the back of the Barge Inn in Wiltshire. Good brew over a campfire and I must admit the Barge food altered my poor opinion of English cuisine.

I trust at some stage we will get to see a vid of Alan and Stewie crewing on the Lady Slug. They deserve it.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 06-15-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2011
Senior Slacker

Quote:
... Then again look at the rubbish the Americans call coffee. ...
Smile when you say that, partner. Them's fightin' words.

Obviously you've never partaken of Peet's magic preparation of the arabica bean. (When the guys who founded Starbucks wanted to learn how to make coffee, they went to Alfred Peet to be schooled. Unfortunately, for them, they apparently didn't take very good notes.)

Your Peetnik at large,
SBS
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Smile when you say that, partner. Them's fightin' words.

Obviously you've never partaken of Peet's magic preparation of the arabica bean. (When the guys who founded Starbucks wanted to learn how to make coffee, they went to Alfred Peet to be schooled. Unfortunately, for them, they apparently didn't take very good notes.)

Your Peetnik at large,
SBS
Slow,
The problem as I see it is that most people like relatively weak coffee. Over on the coffee thread (and I must go edit that post) I maintained I have an "european" attitude to coffee. That of course was nonsense. In fact I have an Italian attitude to coffee and while that attitude has spread to Spain and Portugal that is hardly Europe.
Even in Australia I dislike most coffee. My taste is for that scrumptious, string, slightly bitter taste the Italians perfected and Arabica beans are the essence of that taste. Ergo , maybe just maybe Peets is a fine coffee.
Nonetheless its still true (or it was when I was last in the US) that most American coffee is on par with dishwater.
Cheers
(and I'm happy with pistols at dawn if you are)
Andrew

ps - I note Senor Winter has not leapt to the defence of the English cuppa. Some things perhaps are indefensible. The Australian accent for one.

Old 06-15-2011
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Ergo , maybe just maybe Peets is a fine coffee.
Maybe?? MAYBE??!!!?!?!?

Humph!

Quote:
Nonetheless its still true (or it was when I was last in the US) that most American coffee is on par with dishwater.
Outside of the West Coast you may have a point.

Quote:
Slow,... I'm happy with pistols at dawn if you are...
Silly Aussie. Gunfights are always at "High Noon", on a dusty main street, right in front of the saloon where the piano player stops playing when anyone over 5'6" and wearing mexican spurs walks in the front door. Oh, and the the guy with the black Stetson usually winds up on Boot Hill, while the guy with the white Stetson gets the girl (or at least gets to survive until the closing credits).

Just ask these hombres:

Quote:
Some things perhaps are indefensible. The Australian accent for one.
There is a difference among British/Aussie/whatever accents? Y'all sound funny to me.

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 06-15-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Mr Steady , sir, Earp me none of your Wyatts, High me none of your Noons.
In civilised society , and I appreciate that as an American you would be unfamiliar with such, a duel twixt gentlemen is held at dawn. One does not get the added advantage of six bullets per shooter, nay, you have but a brace of dueling postols, one shot in each.

of course as the agrieved party you do have choice of weapons.

Well you were until that remark about accents.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.