Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
So you bought Serenity....nice looking vessel! I bet she surveys and you'll be good to go. Nice pics...she's gonna be alot of fun to sail and stay on!

Quit thinking about the nickel and dime stuff....I know it adds up but it'll make ya crazy...because it is now here to stay. Just count up the big stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road
Thanks Joe, I will try my best to take your advice. "Deep breath,.... Exhale". I'm over it. It'll distract from the excitement of the boat if we agonize over every penny now.
I think we're about ready.
Surveyor lined up and paid Check!
Boatyard lined up for haulout. Check!
Motel to stay tomorrow night. Check!
Can't wait!

Some things I missed on the negotiation of the boat:
The prepurchase agreement clearly states that what comes with the boat, unless otherwise agreed, is the list of specifications found on the brokerage listing. Nothing else. As I began thinking about bringing Serenity home, I suddenly realized that I'd need charts, and at least a couple from around her present sailing grounds that I'd likely not need again. Of course they are probably on the boat, in her nav table,. but since they aren't explicitly included, and they can be pricey, I'm now regretting that I didn't try and include them in the deal. Same with the dinghy. In several pictures there was a Zodiac inflatable on the deck of the boat, but it isn't listed in the specs either. He's willing to sell it, I wonder how much? Sigh...........
So how much is a "Zodiac Model No. SB275, length 9' with 4'11" beam, inflatable with hard floor that you install when you inflate it and a Johnson 4 hp. outboard that is probably 11 or 12 yrs. old and all that can be said about it is that it runs." worth?
Old 06-15-2011

Memopad is on a distinguished road
With the motor those things ususally pop up on craigslist for 800-1000 depending on how old the motor is. I recently bought a wood floor mid 90's hypalon dinghy, 9.5ft for 300bucks (no motor). Sometimes you find awesome deals like the 14ft Achilles aluminum floor center console 55hp with trailer, all in almost new condition (sitting in a barn for 10 years) for $1500.

Ask the seller if you can at least borrow the charts for the return trip and send them back via mail. When I bought my boat the seller lent me the big heavy duty tow straps needed to haul the boat on the trailer. I sent them back after I got home.
Old 06-15-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Pinay call the guy up and talk to him , you may be suprized

Grats again on your find she is a GREAT boat ,dont underestimate A Sailor of course he knows you could use the charts and is silently snickering waiting for your call on them ...and if anyone could get the best price on the dink it would be you

dont sweat the small stuff man ....your allready a winner , Im at least 6 months behind you...
Old 06-15-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
More is gonna come with that boat than you think....make sure to buy trash bags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 06-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memopad View Post
.....Ask the seller if you can at least borrow the charts for the return trip and send them back via mail. When I bought my boat the seller lent me the big heavy duty tow straps needed to haul the boat on the trailer. I sent them back after I got home.
Great idea, especially since the ones I'll use most, of my local area, he likely won't have, and the ones around his local area I won't need but once. I'll see how it plays out.
On the dinghy I'll try $500, they don't apparently make that model any more, and West sells on with the same descrip and the model 275 and want $800 new. The motor, not sure it's worth much. If he wants more than that, I've already got plans to stitch and glue a dinghy like I've made before.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. After finishing up the arrangements last night I couldn't wait to head that way. I was pretty worthless at work today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
More is gonna come with that boat than you think....make sure to buy trash bags.
Too funny, and true. Thanks for the advice!
I'll post pics as soon as I return!

Last edited by pinayreefer; 06-15-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I had forgotten how expensive all that was.

The surveys, haul-outs etc are expensive but worth every penny. The pre-purchase survey of our last boat showed several expensive issues that had caused the previous several offers to fall through. We negotiated the price down accordingly then I made the repairs myself at a fraction of the yard estimates.

Even if you don't find issues that become bargaining points, the assurance that you won't wind up with a white elephant makes it worthwhile.
Old 06-15-2011

Tiny bit of good news, I figured that the survey/haulout would be all of a thousand, but its like 565 for survey and 288 for haulout. Somewhere along the line I'm sure that $147 is going to get put out. Probably on water blasting the hull so the surveyor can look for damage.
Old 06-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yes, the pressure wash will go all of that....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-16-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
$565 for a survey sounds low for this size boat. Make sure that it's a pre-purchase survey and not an insurance survey. They are very different beasts.