Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011

glimmerglasspeg is on a distinguished road
Windspeed indicator not working - go without?

As so many boats are, SO's sailboat is a yearly issue. It is a 2002? 28' Catalina Mark II? and in port on the coast of Maine. When purchased 3 years ago he didn't have a survey done before buying it as it appeared well taken care of. From day one she's had an arm's length list of issues - primarily from things not being used and not maintained - engine, water system, GPS, etc.

He is not handy - has had most issues addressed as they come about, but everything is done by a boatyard, as well as "leaves it up to me" to help him remember items and clean, organize, and prepare for a sail. We're both slobs on land, but I know you have to have things in place and working on a ship. We are both novice sailors - he probably has a bit more expertise - but I have enough to see warning signs, or to be able to relax, and be a responsive hand to an experienced captain.

Last year the windspeed indicator failed. Several items have been done over the winter, but it looks like this wasn't addressed. Now SO doesn't want to have to take the mast down and have it rigged again if it's a problem on top. Says "you really don't need one". Since purchasing her, he has repeatedly discussed taking overnight trips up and down the coast, but I have balked going out on the open sea until I am more confident with this combination of captain and ship.

I've responded I'd consider overnights once we got a few successful day trips completed. And in as busy a port area as we live in, with choppy seas, plenty of fog, heavy commercial traffic, and my lack of confidence in his having sailing skills adequate enough to remove us from an emergency situation, I am now concerned about not having this wind indicator in place. Are there really reasonable alternatives to use?

He characterizes me as being a nag. I don't even discuss the boat with him while he's getting anxious about getting it out every year. But I did calmly question his decision to let it go if it means rerigging the boat - we had always relied on it so much previously.

I can't believe that we're already starting the year without all items checked off. I hate raining on his parade, but I do think of my own safety first. I am open to forging ahead if my responses here can enlighten me that the windspeed indicator is not that necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

In the big picture, having a functional wind instrument (speed and direction) is WAY down the list of 'must have' items. Really, that instrument is a 'nice to have' item and certainly not a must have.

If it really bothers you, you can buy a hand held instrument for under $100 that will give you wind speed, air temperature, and a few other things.

Good luck
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
A windex and i am good to go

Around here the Cormorants and other seabirds are pretty good at breaking wind stuff them even when they do work

What does overnight mean to you

1. You go some place in the daytime and anchor overnight

2. You keep the boat moving 24/7 which is really NOT a lot of fun and were the much higher skill level is required

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-15-2011

Thanks - good to know there are alternatives.

So far plans are only to take day trips and anchor overnight in port. However the trip up may take most of one full day, without any errors in navigation, which have happened - with a non-working installed GPS, and dead batteries on a handheld GPS.

SO is making a huge deal out of this, so there may be more there than meets the eye. I'll just peruse the handhelds online, and have the credit card ready as long as there aren't more issues on the horizon.

Thanks for giving me an idea of where this all lies in the scheme of things!
Old 06-15-2011

Cptken is on a distinguished road
Do the cups and vane move on the indicator? If they are stuck, may just need a shot of silicon or mineral oil and some excercise. The other problem may be corrosion at he connection. In either case the mast does not need to come down. A quick trip up in a bosun's chair can solve either. If not your cup of tea, can usually find someone in the marina that will do it for you. Also sense the mast comes down every winter...did the wind indicator get connected? Wires should be around the base of the mast.
Old 06-15-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmerglasspeg View Post
However the trip up may take most of one full day, without any errors in navigation, which have happened - with a non-working installed GPS, and dead batteries on a handheld GPS.
Why is the fixed-mount GPS not working? Why not get new batteries for the hand-held GPS?

I'm mildly concerned. You allow as how you leave the captaining up to him, but he's "not handy" and leaves "details" up to you. I'm not saying I never miss anything and that the Admiral doesn't sometimes catch me out, but I make an effort to understand as many aspects about our boat, her condition, the area(s) in which we'll sail and the prevailing conditions as humanly possible.

I'm sorry, but your captain sounds sloppy and, I hope I'm not wrecking a marriage with this, but, IMO, you're right to have concerns.

Quote:
SO is making a huge deal out of this, ...
I'm confused. On the one hand we're given the impression your SO doesn't make a big deal out of "little"/"mundane" things, but now he is?

As to your original question, the wind speed thing: You don't need it. Electronic wind speed and direction devices are primarily needed by racers.

A working GPS, tho... that I'd not leave home without. At least until you were intimately familiar with the waters you're going to be in.

Jim
Old 06-15-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
However the trip up may take most of one full day, without any errors in navigation, which have happened - with a non-working installed GPS, and dead batteries on a handheld GPS.
Buy some paper charts.
Old 06-15-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Buy some paper charts.
Those only work if you know where you are . That would require learning piloting or dead reckoning, in this case, most likely. Not difficult, but neither is replacing dead batteries in a GPS, as a rule .

Jim
Old 06-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Why is the fixed-mount GPS not working? Why not get new batteries for the hand-held GPS?

I'm mildly concerned. You allow as how you leave the captaining up to him, but he's "not handy" and leaves "details" up to you. I'm not saying I never miss anything and that the Admiral doesn't sometimes catch me out, but I make an effort to understand as many aspects about our boat, her condition, the area(s) in which we'll sail and the prevailing conditions as humanly possible.

I'm sorry, but your captain sounds sloppy and, I hope I'm not wrecking a marriage with this, but, IMO, you're right to have concerns.

I'm confused. On the one hand we're given the impression your SO doesn't make a big deal out of "little"/"mundane" things, but now he is?

As to your original question, the wind speed thing: You don't need it. Electronic wind speed and direction devices are primarily needed by racers.

A working GPS, tho... that I'd not leave home without. At least until you were intimately familiar with the waters you're going to be in.

Jim
The previous items - GPS, handheld & installed, etc. are resolved now, but had not been before we went on our initial sails, along with "buddy of seller" who got us into big trouble operating in the fog with no lights and instruments, and who SO still asks for "expert" opinions, because "Buddy" teaches some navigation courses.

I've always tried to make it my business to know everything about any trip as well, and we've gone to sailing school together for our certification. "Buddy of seller" however, has disliked my being there and asking any questions (harbor captain identifies him as a user, since "Buddy" has no boat of his own). I've been of the position that "Buddy" as a friend, considering his adolescent tendencies, is worrisome. I no longer sail, if "Buddy" is there.

SO and I are not married, live in different states & we go back and forth to each other's and have for years. He's not a problem solver, other than to hand it to someone else, or let it slide if "fixer #1" drops the ball. We've usually gone forward with things when I start to "pick up" and he jumps in with me. I agree with you about the sloppiness - we both are in our houses since we're involved in numerous undertakings, but I adhere to things being shipshape on a boat as well - particularly if you're going to hit some seas, and you need things battened down or need to know where something is immediately - it was how I was taught to sail as a youngster. I have even been on the cell with him when he's on the boat and can't locate a sheet or bumper or some piece of equipment he needs now. We have taken multiple trips on the dinghy, only to return to get something that he was sure he had on him.

Sadly, I'm not getting back on the boat until and when he resolves his issues. If we take it moderately, and build up our experience without "gunning it" everywhere, it could be successful. This is something he's dreamed of doing for years because his parents did it years ago. The overnight sails are his ultimate purpose. He bought the boat "for us". He was furious when I noticed a couple of issues, and asked him about getting a survey.

I caught a big clue this winter when he told me a story of how his mother used to get the wet suit on and clean the bottom of the boat every year, and how his father stayed inside while she did it!

We had a great week at my place, and he just left Monday. So now that he's back home, the tongue lashing e-mails I've received since I expressed a worried opinion about the wind speed indicator are troublesome. His overreaction suggests something is up - even if it is just getting the boat to its mooring for the season.

We definitely do have our strong points, but sadly, without reason, sailing may not be one of them - not if he always has to make something into an issue that normal mortal souls can discuss rationally.

I am now armed with the alternative if the wind speed indicator isn't fixed, but perhaps not an alternative to whatever else is going on?!?

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Going without a windspeed indicator is a non issue... it's not a 'must have'.

However I'm not at all sure that the two of you will really work out in the confined, mutually dependant world of a small sailboat....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)