Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Friendship Sloop

Has anyone ever sailed a Friendship sloop? If so can you describe the experience? They are such gorgeous boats. I wouldn't mind purchasing a fiberglass replica if they sail well.
Old 06-16-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Friendship sloops are about as pretty as a boat can be. I sailed on an original as a kid and on a glass version a couple times. The originals had a huge sail plan and seemed to be much better sailors than the glass so-called replicas.

Sailing these old girls is a very different aesthetic experience than sailing a modern boat. They move differently and can be tweaked only so far (although once you learn to sail them there is a lot more tweaking than it seems at first blush) and then what you see is what you sail. They take their own unique set of skills to sail (not easy on a beginner), and a lot more physical strength than a more modern boat, but once you learn how to sail them they offer a very rewarding, albeit different experience.

The aethetic basis for sailing a boat like the Friendship sloop is similar to the reasons that the folks race antique automobiles or target shoot with black powder rifles. There is something about learning how it was done in earlier times and with more primitive equipment that transends most of the obvious liabilities comes with sailing a reminder of times past.

Of course Friendship Sloops were intended as along shore work boats. They were meant to sail in the challenging conditions in Maine (strong currents, and changeable conditions). They were not really designed to be offshore yachts or even daysailers. While some have been converted or designed from scratch to be cruisers or daysailers and so might make a reasonbable overnighter or daysailer in a venue with decent breezes, they would not be as comfortable as a newer design, and they would not work so well in the prevailing light air conditions of the Mid-Atlantic States.

There are also a bunch of boats which were styling expercises based on the appearance of the Friendship Sloops. These vary widely in design, sailing ability, and execution and personally really have no appeal to me personally, but that may only be me. To me if you are going to emulate a historic artifact, then at least make a reasonably close copy.

The answer about the suitability of owning a Friendship Sloop really depends on how you personally plan to use the boat. They really are not all that well suited to coastal cruising or daysailing, and are ill-suited as offshore cruisers, but if your enjoyment comes from simple sailing, and you sail in a venue with decent winds, then a Friendship might well meet your needs. It's more about your goals and personality, and where you sail than the boat itself.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-16-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Yes. I owned a wooden one and have sailed on others, wood and glass. They are beautiful, and handy, and seaworthy. The Dictator (31') model is fast as traditional boats go. (I know of one for sale in Ct). Disadvantages: In bigger models the gaff can be challenging to raise solo. They will not have as much headroom as similar modern boats, or amenities. I certainly loved owning one, it may have been my best all around boat.
Old 06-16-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Yes. I owned a wooden one and have sailed on others, wood and glass. They are beautiful, and handy, and seaworthy. The Dictator (31') model is fast as traditional boats go. (I know of one for sale in Ct). Disadvantages: In bigger models the gaff can be challenging to raise solo. They will not have as much headroom as similar modern boats, or amenities. I certainly loved owning one, it may have been my best all around boat.
Old 06-16-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Beautiful to look at at, hell to maintain the brightwork, more challenging to operate. I've always thought of them as the type of boat that I love to see in the slip next to mine, not as a boat to own myself.
Old 06-16-2011
Yamsailor

Thank you for you responses.

I was considering purchasing one to give day charters. Although I am in the mid-atlantic so lighter winds may be an issue. Given the design, any recommendations for size as it relates to 6-pack charters?
Old 06-16-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
I was considering purchasing one to give day charters. Although I am in the mid-atlantic so lighter winds may be an issue. Given the design, any recommendations for size as it relates to 6-pack charters?
You may want to chat with Captain Don on his business...Boston Sailing and Boat Charters. I know he has his Friendship sloop configured and inspected for a dozen passengers.
Old 06-16-2011
Yamsailor

Good idea. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-16-2011
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Best thing to do is sail one in Friendship, ME.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 06-17-2011

VY80 is on a distinguished road
Freidship Sloop Resolute

Ahoy,
I have sailed this for 10 years as an charter vessel. Can be trying with boat load of passengers but it is the vessel one dreams of sailing. Step back a hundrend years. Can take 2 to put up the main sail when not on a mooring.
Alan
Atlantic-Charters.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.