Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Problem viewing Sailnet

everytime I go on and try to view new posts i get this message
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
My browser downloaded the new IE last week. Could that be the issue. is anyone else having problems?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway View Post
everytime I go on and try to view new posts i get this message
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
My browser downloaded the new IE last week. Could that be the issue. is anyone else having problems?
Jacky,
This is more an admin issue than moderator but I have found myself and I'm thinking a lot of folk would agree that Firefox or Google Chrome are better browsers than IE.
I'm certainly having zero problems with Firefox.
Regards
Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I got that the other day too... despite it saying there were twenty-something 'new posts'... (on my office PC)

One thing you might try (to isolate/disprove IE as the source of the problem) would be to download firefox or chrome and see if the same thing happens. All these browsers seem to present the site somewhat differently from the other. If this issue is persistent and only since you 'upgraded' then it (IE) may well be the cause and if so admin will want to investigate.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-16-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
It was really slow and timed out a few time earlier today with firefox and IE! IIRC 10-11AM or there abouts pacific time. Then once it cleared up, posts would come up.

For the IT folks, take this for what it might be worth, not that one paid much for it!

Marty
Old 06-17-2011
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
i uninstalled IE9 and went back to IE8 and i am having the same issue. i had no problem before so i don't think it is an IE issue now
Old 06-17-2011

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
IE9 problems?

I use IE8 in one computer, and recently 'upgraded' to IE9 in another.

On logging in, when I click on "new posts," IE8 brings me all new posts since my last login.

Now, on the 'upgraded' IE9 selecting New Posts bring me an empty search. But the IE8 computer continues to act the same (good) way as before.

So there must have been some internal Internet Options setting that must have been changed in the upgrade from IE8 to IE9. (Although, the problem seems to be limited to the SailNet Web site...doesn't happen on other sites.) I've been running the two versions of Internet Explorer side by side, looking into all the detailed settings, trying to find out what switch had been flipped. So far, I haven't found anything.

If I do, I'll post it here. Maybe someone more expert in Internet details has an answer? ...
Old 06-17-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I've had this problem since upgrading to IE9 a couple of months ago; I asked o the technical forum at http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailne...new-posts.html but without a solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Sounds like IE is the problem. Better to run FireFox, Chrome or Opera, anyway. Because they don't support ActiveX (referred-to as "ActiveTrojan" by some IT geeks), they're marginally safer than IE, anyway.

Other than poorly-designed web sites that require ActiveTrojan support, and there are few of those, there's no reason to use it. It's less standard than the others and, as of a few months ago, no longer hold the dominant position in browser use.

Jim
Old 06-17-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
SEMIJim - you realize that you are advocating not using the most popular browser in the world - according to W3Counter - Global Web Stats IE still accounts for 37.7% of all browser use?

I'd rather have the problem in sailnet.com fixed rather than change my web browser. I've accepted the consequences and don't visit this site as much anymore but still hope that admin fixes it. All the other forums a BBoards that I use work just fine with IE.

Old 06-17-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
SEMIJim - you realize that you are advocating not using the most popular browser in the world - according to W3Counter - Global Web Stats IE still accounts for 37.7% of all browser use?
But it's no longer the majority. And, yes, I realize it full well.

I don't use IE. (Wouldn't even if it did run on non-MS operating systems.) My wife doesn't use it, and hasn't ever. We don't use it at work, and never have. Not a single individual I know personally uses it. I don't think a single on-line colleague I know uses it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'd rather have the problem in sailnet.com fixed rather than change my web browser. I've accepted the consequences and don't visit this site as much anymore but still hope that admin fixes it. All the other forums a BBoards that I use work just fine with IE.
I'm signed up to literally dozens of web boards. Boating of all kinds--power and sail. Firearms forums. Climbing forums. Home theater forums. Forums related to my avocation, which is all things computer and networking. Various other special interest forums. More run vBulletin than any other single web board sofware suite. But there are others represented, as well.

Of all the browser troubles I ever see reported, trouble on the part of IE users is reported more often than that by the users of all the other browsers combined. Added to that is the fact that IE has an extra exploit vector, that none of the other browsers have.

So keep using it if you want. My recommendation, based on what I believe to be sound reasoning, is to use something else.

Jim