Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2003

DonFoley is on a distinguished road
internet?

I use the Verizon Family plan, so for $43 a month a get something like 300 minutes, free long-distance. I have a $19 cable I can connect the phone to my laptop and use it as a wireless modem. Works great at 19000 baud. If I want to upgrade, I can sign up for their "Network Express" service at $80 a month for 128k connection speed, but I''ll have to get a new phone that is supported.

I also got a phone that has an external antenna port, and another $19 cable that will hook it up to an external cell antenna, but so far I haven''t had any problems getting a good signal. I just put the cell phone on top of a locker and it''s worked fine even in some remote areas.

I would like to hear more about high-speed access at Marsh Harbor. Is this through a cell phone provider, or via WiFi connections at marinas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2003

DICKWATERS is on a distinguished road
internet?

Hi speed wireless internet is offered by Out Island Inter.net (oii.net) in Marsh Harbor. They say it fast enough to make low price internet phone calls to the states.

I have a business card with the following email address accounts@abacoinet.com.

There is some info on oii.net and
http://abacoexpress.com/aws/index.shtml
Old 08-24-2003

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road
internet?

WiFi hotspots are growing by leaps and bounds now. There is one company setting up resorts and marinas in my area and I usually get better than dial up speeds from them. They have a few harbors set up where you can hit their service while anchored out even.

I use Broadband Express (www.bbxpress.net) in Washington and British Columbia.

Ken
Old 08-25-2003

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
internet?

Trish is definately right about the difference between a didicated cellular PCMCIA modem and connecting your computer using a cell phone. Cell phone speeds are slow (14.4 or 19k bps vs 44-56k bps). But you do have to pay for the service of using the PCMCIA.

There is basically no free lunch when it comes to cellular net connections. I connect via my cell phone because I do not surf much (only here and Trish''s web site :O) and get relatively few emails. I have a cell phone as my only phone and thus I save a lot of $ by doing this.

A couple things to keep in mind....all wireless internet services that use either a PCMCIA modem or similar are on proprietary networks....and thus all have varying coverage. If you are going to travel, this complicates things.

WiFi is very attractive because the hardware is cheap ($50 for a WiFi CF card) and it is a standard used by many. Some places you pay, some you do not. The problem with WiFi is that it is set up for small areas...as little as 150ft.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2003

marineweather is on a distinguished road
internet?

For some good general information see:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/internet.htm
scroll to:
"Internet Access for Mariners"

and also please visit:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/home.htm