Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We have a Rocna......made in NZ...and its anything but a piece of crap. Sounds like that writer Travelineasy with his grossly grandieose statments of hyperbole

The issues with the guy who shills them not withstanding if I was buying one again,,,I probably would by the Supreme not becauise it is built in China, but because the ones built in China apear to have quality concerns,,,and also I dont care for people who shape figures to prove their points.

As far as the built in China issue...I remember when peopke said the Japanese were building inferior cars...as a scare tactic not to buy them. If in fact an independent tester proves one better than the other in material quality its nolt because of the country of origin...but what that country uses as raw ingredients in its manufacturing.

The only reason I mention I have a NZ Rocna is because there was no challanging of the build materials from the ones made there.

Since I bought my Rocna....I sleep easier when anchored as most will atest to. Their reset ability along with the Supreme is much better than all others. I dont need a shill to say that...other sailors have said that...enough said.

Dave

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Wait, its a Rocna, no its a Manson, no its a Rocna...

Rocna crap? Nay, the company maybe...but look, this is news to me...Rocna has now added a Shackle rail on its "fisherman" series? Looks a lot like the Manson to me? I know someone knows the thread where Craig Smith said something about the slot (refering to Manson) and its poor design ? Buggers, I bought the damn Rocna because so many of you people were praising it and that Manson was the rip off company, now whos riping off who? WTF!

Bite me bitches...

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-18-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
oh no you didn't!

It would seem that I did Hey, if I hadn't done it, somebody else would have.

Coincidentally, the conclusion, almost an epilogue, really, was posted in that thread late yesterday. Nobody was surprised at the ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Real rodents use a Bruce
As somebody said recently: "Oh no you didn't!"

Quote:
Cannot agree with you Bene that Rocnas are a piece of crap.
I agree that "piece of crap" is perhaps undeserved, but the company's behaviour certainly strikes me as highly questionable. I would avoid them.

Quote:
... I still reckon they pick up too much mud)
It's the nature of the design. The Manson Supreme, or any other similar design, would do the same. It's part and parcel of why they hold so well. And it's why I'll never have one on Abracadabra. The Admiral has to be able to manage the ground tackle in a pinch. I believe she can handle the 10kg Delta + chain + rode we'll have on the boat when we start cruising, but a similarly-sized Manson Supreme, loaded-up with mud? I think not.

Quote:
If the Rocna is a piece of garbage then I expect a raft of complaints in six months time. Betcha that doesn't occur.
There hasn't been "a raft" of them, but there are multiple pictures of badly-bent Rocnas all over the 'net.

Quote:
Anywho, me, the Wombet and Bruce are off for a dirty weekend.
Enjoy!

(I'm at work on an emergency.)

Jim
Old 06-18-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Rocna crap? Nay, the company maybe...but look, this is news to me...Rocna has now added a Shackle rail on its "fisherman" series? Looks a lot like the Manson to me? I know someone knows the thread where Craig Smith said something about the slot (refering to Manson) and its poor design ? Buggers, I bought the damn Rocna because so many of you people were praising it and that Manson was the rip off company, now whos riping off who? WTF!

Bite me bitches...

IIRC, on the "Fisherman" anchor, the Rocna website recommends not to leave your boat unattended or use overnight. I wpould guess because of the slot?
Still haven't seen many complaints about Rocna's performance, quality
or customer service?

Dabnis