Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
I have never done nor do I recommend the following, However I have seen what I thought were crazy people do the following:
Painted their white hull (Columbia 28 I think) RED using brushes and rollers while in the slip. First couple days you could see the brush and roller marks, then it cured and I'll be darned if it didn't look halfway good. Appeared to have some orange peal but shined in a semi-gloss kind of way and later someone bought it.
I've seen people use Latex house paint and latex house non-skid porch and deck paint on boats. The deck paint filled in some of a cracked crappy unsaveable deck on an inexpensive boat.
Just saying, if it couldn't look any worse what's it gonna hurt, it hopefully ain't your last boat.
"A vision impaired man on a fast horse won't even see it"
Old 06-20-2011

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Malspectraphobia?

Well I guess some of us have to be colour coordinated, I am one of them. I like the royal blue with white or pacific blue with white. My hull is blue but topsides and elsewhere is white so I made sure all canvas and cloth accessories are pacific blue. I even went further to ensure all lines to be white, blue or blue with white trace or white with blue trace or similar combinations. Every thing is colour coordinated. She sure looks pretty like that!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
a C&C in one of those hideous oranges or yellows? Yellow is not all that bad but orange?
Oi! Orange is a fine colour, easy to see in a crowded anchorage, or for the coastie. I think she looks smart, stands out from all these white tubs around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2011

VetMike is on a distinguished road
I like British Racing Green. White is cooler but the glare hurts my eyes. Bottom line: life is short; buy the boat that sings to you and paint whatever color you like (except plaid).
Old 06-20-2011

VetMike is on a distinguished road
CaptKermie; way to OC....
Old 06-20-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
I think hull color depends on where you cruise. If you are in snowy or arctic or antarctic areas, a red hull looks great. Forest area or Pacific Northwest- hunter green. Dark blue for New England. Next color for me will be very light grey- tropics.
Old 06-21-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Navy blue and darker is popular in my neck of the woods but I have had discussion with folks that have them and they appear by and large to regret the choice.

Apparently the maintenance is high not just from oxidation but just simply trying to keep the boat clean and looking nice.

My boat is white with blue stripes top and bottom - easy to keep clean nearly impossible for SAR to find in a turbulent sea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-21-2011

benajah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I love the look of a deep navy hull, teak decks with a deep red or burgundy bottom....but down here in Texas that would be super hot in the summer. White is hot enough but at least tries to reflect some of it....So, visually it would have to be some super horrible color for me to reject it...Feel the same way about a car but at least my car has AC.....
I love a navy blue hull too, but a friend, whose boat is dark navy, told me last weekend, while I was gazing at a navy boat longingly that they are a whole lot more work to keep looking nice, fade quick and show imperfections easily. He was kind of longing for white topsides, although his boat is beautiful.
Old 06-21-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
Well I guess some of us have to be colour coordinated, I am one of them. I like the royal blue with white or pacific blue with white. My hull is blue but topsides and elsewhere is white so I made sure all canvas and cloth accessories are pacific blue. I even went further to ensure all lines to be white, blue or blue with white trace or white with blue trace or similar combinations. Every thing is colour coordinated. She sure looks pretty like that!
If your topsides and everywhere else is white, how can the hull be blue? You mean the part underwater? I suspect that the topsides are blue - defined as the part between the deck, and the waterline.
Old 06-21-2011
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
If your boat is below 36 degrees north latitude, you would only consider white as a hull or deck color. Anything else would melt the soles off your shoes and raise the internal temperature of the boat to the point that you'd be sleeping on deck.