SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I'm a wife trying to sell my husband's klickitat 30' - need help

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  tommays 
#1 ·
My first post so it might have all the details needed to answer a few questions. I know nothing about sailboats.

We live in Austin tx. My husband has had this sailboat from when he lived in Oregon and it's got no use to us here.

He's asked me to list it for sale but I can't find any real information on it. I'll copy the details of his notes to me and perhaps someone can tell me what this is and where to post as looking for klickitat boats reveals very little.

Um not trying to sell it with this posting but rather find any more information about and the best places to advertise it for sale. Hubby's text pasted below.

Thanks y'all :clobber will be happy when it's sold so I can get a motorcycle

30' custom
Klikitat Washington Marina
deck and below deck hand made by a retired coastie.
1600 pounds of lead in the keel
safe boat, sister ships have been sailed from pacnorthwest to HI.
10hp honda OB *in motorwell.
good sails
complete

See less See more
#4 ·
Hillbetty
I would suggest that you call a local boat broker in the area where the boat is now. They should be able to get details and write up the listing for you. most will charge a commission but it is worth the headaches that you will not have trying to sell it your self especially since you don't live near the boat.

#5 ·
Yea, if the boat is worth more than 10K I would put it on a site like boats.com, yachtworld.com or go through a marine broker like justified recommends.
If you want to sell the boat QUICK then craigslist is your way to go. Got to weed through the crap "buyers" though.

#7 ·
Somebody will have to be there to show the boat, so you have no option except using a broker.

And "homebuilt" or home finished boats are notoriously hard to sell, so you may have a problem motivating a broker. You might want to contact the marina staff and see if they have any referrals for you.

#11 ·
working with a broker

I sell cars for friends through craigslist periodically and ask them what they expect for the car - anything over that I take as my commission for selling the vehicle.

How does it work with boat brokers? Do they get a percentage or a set amount? Can you suggest anyone to deal with in Oregon?

#8 ·
1979 Islander Klickitat sailboat for sale in Washington

This is a listing for a 'Klickitat 26" in WA state.. by the sounds of this discussion:

26'islander "klickitat" - Boat Design Forums

They were an offshoot of a canoe building company. They seem to use the 'bahama' and 'Islander' name as well, but from the pictures there's no relationship to the real Islander line.

If they made a 30 and sold them as hull/deck kits then it's anyone's guess what it's worth ... what someone will pay, most likely....

FWIW the 26 linked to looks like a decent little boat with minimal headroom. If it's in good shape and a decent buy it will go eventually. Note in the second link there's mention of another owner donating the boat to a deserving charity... perhaps that's another avenue to explore.

#12 ·
Is there a fair way to even do an appraisal? I take it this kickitat is not a large company or even in existence any longer?

I havent really seen an evaluation website similar to nada or KBB for boats that even list this klickitat or island brand - How would it be described? I think of it as like a chevy silverado ls 4x4

you know what I mean?

Yea. he needs to get off his duff but it's hard when he's working 60 hours a week. Ugh. Thanks for the help ya'll

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.