I'm a wife trying to sell my husband's klickitat 30' - need help - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011

Hillbetty is on a distinguished road
I'm a wife trying to sell my husband's klickitat 30' - need help

My first post so it might have all the details needed to answer a few questions. I know nothing about sailboats.

We live in Austin tx. My husband has had this sailboat from when he lived in Oregon and it's got no use to us here.

He's asked me to list it for sale but I can't find any real information on it. I'll copy the details of his notes to me and perhaps someone can tell me what this is and where to post as looking for klickitat boats reveals very little.

Um not trying to sell it with this posting but rather find any more information about and the best places to advertise it for sale. Hubby's text pasted below.

Thanks y'all will be happy when it's sold so I can get a motorcycle

30' custom
Klikitat Washington Marina
deck and below deck hand made by a retired coastie.
1600 pounds of lead in the keel
safe boat, sister ships have been sailed from pacnorthwest to HI.
10hp honda OB *in motorwell.
good sails
complete
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2011

Should have noted

Boat is currently in oregon and we have no desire to mess around with it's transport from the current moorage

If that makes a diff
Old 06-21-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
craigslist.com

Its where I bought mine. P.s.- Include pics.
Old 06-21-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
Hillbetty
I would suggest that you call a local boat broker in the area where the boat is now. They should be able to get details and write up the listing for you. most will charge a commission but it is worth the headaches that you will not have trying to sell it your self especially since you don't live near the boat.
Old 06-21-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Yea, if the boat is worth more than 10K I would put it on a site like boats.com, yachtworld.com or go through a marine broker like justified recommends.
If you want to sell the boat QUICK then craigslist is your way to go. Got to weed through the crap "buyers" though.
Old 06-21-2011

Deadline2 is on a distinguished road
Your husband should get off his duff and do this research himself. He's the expert in the family. I'm just sayin'.
Old 06-21-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Somebody will have to be there to show the boat, so you have no option except using a broker.

And "homebuilt" or home finished boats are notoriously hard to sell, so you may have a problem motivating a broker. You might want to contact the marina staff and see if they have any referrals for you.
Old 06-21-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
1979 Islander Klickitat sailboat for sale in Washington

This is a listing for a 'Klickitat 26" in WA state.. by the sounds of this discussion:

26'islander "klickitat" - Boat Design Forums

They were an offshoot of a canoe building company. They seem to use the 'bahama' and 'Islander' name as well, but from the pictures there's no relationship to the real Islander line.

If they made a 30 and sold them as hull/deck kits then it's anyone's guess what it's worth ... what someone will pay, most likely....

FWIW the 26 linked to looks like a decent little boat with minimal headroom. If it's in good shape and a decent buy it will go eventually. Note in the second link there's mention of another owner donating the boat to a deserving charity... perhaps that's another avenue to explore.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-21-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Never heard of a klickitat 30 I understand thay were fullkeel ?, but Pictuers would be great !
Old 06-21-2011

photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
1979 Islander Klickitat sailboat for sale in Washington

This is a listing for a 'Klickitat 26" in WA state.. by the sounds of this discussion:

26'islander "klickitat" - Boat Design Forums

They were an offshoot of a canoe building company. They seem to use the 'bahama' and 'Islander' name as well, but from the pictures there's no relationship to the real Islander line.

If they made a 30 and sold them as hull/deck kits then it's anyone's guess what it's worth ... what someone will pay, most likely....

FWIW the 26 linked to looks like a decent little boat with minimal headroom. If it's in good shape and a decent buy it will go eventually. Note in the second link there's mention of another owner donating the boat to a deserving charity... perhaps that's another avenue to explore.
Thank you for the links - here is a link to the boat itself which might offer more detail
forsale_oregon

we're not looking to make money off of the boat - just get a fair price and give someone a good value for a nice way to sail.