SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Whisker pole (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/75497-whisker-pole.html)

jakesokol 06-21-2011 03:10 PM

Whisker pole

ANybody know where you can find a telescoping whisker pole for less than a fortune. I have a C&C 34 and I am getting killed on the downwind legs of the Wednesday night club racing.

thank you,
jake

Quickstep192 06-21-2011 08:17 PM

I found mine on eBay. I had to check regularly for about a month, but one finally turned up. Don't know where you are, but Bacon in Annapolis is another likely source.

PalmettoSailor 06-22-2011 05:27 AM

If you are racing PHRF, I think you are limited to your "J" dimension anyway so telescoping is probably not a requirement.

jakesokol 06-22-2011 08:54 AM

Quickstep 192 what was your search criteria on EBay, was it simply whisker pole.

Thank you both for responding. I am not tied to any one design rules.

I will try Bacon in Annapolis too.

I am on LI sound, CT shore.

thanks,
jake

jfgy 06-22-2011 10:09 AM

Whisker pole available

Jake,

I have one that came with my used Hunter 27. It is too big for the H27 but would probably work well on your boat.

Contact me if you are interested in discussing it. (Forespar 10-18 telescoping).

Thanks.

Jess

jakesokol 06-22-2011 02:44 PM

Jess,

Thank you for getting back to me I actually am interested. I was looking for a 12-20, but may be consider a smaller version. What are you looking to get for it?

regards,
jake

jfgy 06-22-2011 04:28 PM

Whisker pole

Jake,
I have not advertised it yet and have not given it much thought. I think I'd be happy if I can get in the range of $450 plus shipping costs. That would cover the cost of me buying the smaller version.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Jess

setmefree 06-22-2011 05:05 PM

You can also search craigs list. The simplist way is to go to Google. Then in the search put "whisker pole site:craigslist.org". This will check all cities in craigs list.

PalmettoSailor 06-22-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakesokol (Post 742931)

Thank you both for responding. I am not tied to any one design rules.

thanks,
jake

The limit I refered to is not a one design rule, its standard sails and equipment limitations for racing under PHRF in the non-spin class.

You are limited to a pole length that is almost useless for a typical 135-155 lp headsail.

To pole out the 140 lp genny on my C36, I'd need around a 22' pole, but per the PHRF rules I am limited to my J dimension of just over 14'.

If you're buying a whisker pole it certainly makes sense to get one that you can extend to a useable length for cruising, but you'll have to mark it for racing, so its visible if its extended beyond "J".

jakesokol 06-28-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfgy (Post 743016)
Jake,
I have not advertised it yet and have not given it much thought. I think I'd be happy if I can get in the range of $450 plus shipping costs. That would cover the cost of me buying the smaller version.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Jess

JFGY,

Can you look into the shipping costs and get back to me. I am in Bridgeport, CT 06605. Also, where is that you live mauybe I can drive?