Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
thanks every one. well right now i have a 16' sailboat no cabin the next boat i want in a year or two before i'm 18 is a 18-23' so i get use to the size and controling it. If i ever get the chance i would want to live on a 29-36' sailboat. or a catamaran sailboat they seem a lot more roomy
Old 06-23-2011

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Going to college may or may not be the right thing to do. Don’t we all know kids with six figure college debt, useless degrees and working at the mall?

If you are interested in a profession (Dr. Lawyer, Engineer, etc) then of course you need the training. But if not and you like working with your hands then learning a trade may be a lot more useful to you. Pick something that you like and that you can do anywhere and you will have a lot of choices in life.

Course if you really want to live on a boat and get paid to do it there is always the Navy!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Life is short and you really never know what you will come your way. You are young and you at least have a vision, more than can be said for most teenagers these days. If living on a boat is what you desire than go for it!

It can be cheaper than rent. if you own the boat outright then you will just be paying slip fees, if you are in marina. I pay 250 per month, liveaboard would be 375. Not too many places in Hampton Roads can be had with the view i have at the marina for 375!

if i can offer my advice, stay debt free! save and buy things with good old cash. if you do this you will be much happier than the poor guy working 9-5 paying for a 3 yrs old car with soda stains that isn't worth the gas he puts in it. 25 yrs old house that needs just as much maintenance as the boat!

material things, cash , career, bigger boat....... with not bring you the happiness you enjoy right now on your 16ft boat! keep it simple!

Good luck and keep your sails full!
Old 06-23-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The Catalina 22 would be a decent starter boat that you could sleep 2 on and put on a trailer. CAPRI 22 (CATALINA) sailboat on sailboatdata.com.. More than 6000 sailboats, sailing yachts, dinghies and sailing craft listed.
The Montgomery has a devoted following as well but is generally more expensive: MONTGOMERY 17 sailboat on sailboatdata.com.. More than 6000 sailboats, sailing yachts, dinghies and sailing craft listed.
Save your money because even older boats aren't really all that cheap and free boats are never really free.
Do your boat research now and get aboard as many different sized sailboats as you can before you decide to buy anything.
Above all, enjoy yourself, finish school and plan ahead.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
College is an option, but it's not always the answer. Keep your options open. Life is going to bring to you many options, and if you're lucky you will choose a good one, or two. I barely managed high school, and yet I have managed to live a very fulfilled life.

If you think you want to live aboard then get something you can walk around in. Sure a 22ft. boat sounds exciting at first, because it is easier to buy. Try walking around for a week hunched over, or even an hour. With room to walk around you will have room for more than one pair of jeans, and one stinky t-shirt. Even in a fat 30 ftr you will have limited posessions.

There will be time for the opposite sex. I wouldn't worry about moving one aboard. Many men give up their dream, because it doesn't fit the girl friend's dream of a white picket fence, and a knight in shining armor. Your life is meant to be explored, and enjoyed. What will you do with a baby 6 months after the girl moves in, and you have to tell your parents she is pregnant? Think with the big head, and not the little one!

You want to build a boat? Build a rowing dinghy that you can sail. Might cost $500, but it will be there when you get a bigger boat. You will want to get to shore! It is very possible to become rich building boats. Why do you think there are so many manufacturers? Building the dink will give you some experience. You can build one, and sell. Then build a larger one, and sell it. Anything is possible. It was once a dream to put man on the moon too! Maybe at 25 you can build a world cruising cat?

What ever you do be true to yourself, and the right girl will come along in life. Don't throw your dreams , and life away for a little satisfaction that is over in a short time. It took me 50 years to find the right woman for me. In between were a couple of divorces, and way too many girlfriends.

There is no hiway 1 to get through life. Life is a matter of a mountain road full of switch backs, upgrades, and downgrades. Learn to accept that, and push through your problems. Accept the responsibility of your decisions. Don't be a whiner like most of today's kids Alway listen to advice, and then toss most of it out the window. Some of it will be precious, but most is what someone else thinks. Mine included too.

Accomplishments start with a dream, but nothing gets done unless you act on them. The sooner you act the sooner it comes true. If life knocks you down. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and push forward with no whining. Hard work with a book, or your hands will see you through life.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-24-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The cheapest way to live on a boat when you turn 18 is joining the navy.

Old 06-24-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
I wish I'd have had your vision at 15. I spent my life chasing girls, then later women. Do what you dream of and the woman of your dreams will be right next door. Pick the girl first and the dream will never happen
I'll be 64 in 3 weeks. I rather regret the life I didn't spend sailing.
Learn a trade you can ply in marinas and boat yards worldwide. Naval electronics, fiberglass repair, enen welding. Carry your tools.
You can get paid to learn this kind of stuff in the Navy. Try to get an iron-clad guarantee from the recruiter.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 06-24-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Father said it many moons ago:
You can go as for as your vision takes you.

USAF said:
Aim High

Me said:
Always live on the top of the food chain. At the bottom of food chain, life sucks.

Jack London said:
I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

This is a great country, free to choose your path and happiness. But choose wisely.

Peace

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-24-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
thanks every one. well right now i have a 16' sailboat no cabin the next boat i want in a year or two before i'm 18 is a 18-23' so i get use to the size and controling it. If i ever get the chance i would want to live on a 29-36' sailboat. or a catamaran sailboat they seem a lot more roomy
The bigger sailboat is much easier to sail than the smaller sailboat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-24-2011

foggysail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Father said it many moons ago:
Always live on the top of the food chain. At the bottom of food chain, life sucks.

YEAH,, RIGHT!!!! Been there done that! POVERTY SUCKS!

Foggy