Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
There is a generality to be pointed out here. Less expensive insurance is almost always less expensive for a reason. In some cases, they sneak coverage exclusions past you. Geico (in the US) is famous for this. In others, they make a serious effort to reduce payout on claims.

A good insurance professional will know where each lies on the spectrum, so you can make a well informed decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2011

Petar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
What year, make and model is your boat?

Like others have said; the other guy should be held responsible for the damage.

For the damage you describe I don't think the 500.00 is that far off. 1st. the insurance is for repairs to your boat. If you owned a trailerable the insurance company would not pay to send a guy with a trailer out to pick up the boat, you would have to use your own trailer and haul the boat out yourself. Hauling the boat out is not part of the damage. But look and see if it is covered in your policy; most likely not. Just like on a car insurance policy, towing is either part of it, or it isn't.

Another thing to consider is the Marina's liability in this.... I bet they hold liability insurance for circumstances like this. I would exhaust everybody else's insurance prior to running it through my own.
Thanks to all who have given their advice here. I really appreciate it and it reinforces my feeling that I seem to be shafted by my own insurance. I've heard of them not being very good and even some marinas not accepting a boat insured by them so this just proves it further.

Mine is 1986 Freedom 36 weighing at over 9000lbs and drawing 6 feet so need to use travelift to haul it out of the water to effect repairs which is few inches above water line and as far as I know can not be done effectively while the boat is afloat. As i said in my original post, just haulout and a day on dry land is $435 so $65 can not cover the repair needed to bring it back to where it was originally. Insurance cost is at $450 a year and insured cost is $60K. not sure what others are paying in the area. Being Canadian registered boat I guess i have to use Canadian insurance company, or do I?

Let's see what next few days bring in but I am not a happy camper here.......
Old 06-23-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
At the law firm I manage, we have had to regularly sue insurance companies because they have reneged on their contract. They normally settle when they receive the attorney letter, and they are normally in the wrong. They are pond scum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 06-24-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
It seems that the majority of the cost is for the haulout and dry storage - the repair itself sounds like it would be well under $500. So one option might be to pocket the $500 (and/or whatever you can get from the other guy's insurance, which you should definitely pursue), live with the cosmetic damage for awhile, and wait until the next seasonal haulout to make the repairs. Only you can make the decision whether this is tolerable. But if the gelcoat on your transom is pretty oxidized anyway, it might be more reasonable to wait and integrate this repair into a more comprehensive restoration, since you will need to do that anyway to make the repair match the rest of your scoop.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-24-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petar View Post
.... Two and a half weeks ago while hiking with friends got an email from the marina saying a guy who was "practicing" backing with his 32 ft powerboat (five slips away) got caught by the wind (has two engines and a bow thruster) and damaged my boat. next day I went down to the marina to check it out and found up to two feet long white scratches (my boat is dark blue) on the edge of my transom's sugar scoop and couple of places where up to a square inch in size gelcoat was missing and fiberglass was exposed....

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this and get my boat fixed the way it deserves ti be fixed having been insured?
The fellow that damaged your yacht is the responsible party and he should have been your first stop, not your own insurer. I would go to the responsible party and ask him how he wants to handle covering the damages. He can decline of course, or contact his own insurer, or simply cover the costs out of pocket. Your task will be, of course, to prove that he caused the damage. Did you check his boat to see if there were any marks from the paint on yours? If he actually caused the damage there would have been, although with the passage of time, they may have already been removed. Have you made a list of witnesses and/or obtained any affidavits from them attesting to the events and the resulting damage? IF not you should before much more time passes. Have you had a yard prepare any estimates/bids to repair the damages?

On a worst case basis, if the respondent refuses to take responsibility and cover the repairs, you can take him to Small Claims court with the foregoing information/instruments and secure a judgment against the party. If he then refuses to pay, you can go back to court, get a contempt citation; and, get a Writ of Attachment on his boat and, with that, either recourse to your own insurer, who will cover your costs and subrogate to your claim against the respondent; or, sell your claim to a Debt Collector; or, depending on your venue, go through the proceedings for a Sheriff's sale of his boat. Frankly, however, I doubt any of the last alternatives would be necessary once you've obtained a judgment if you even have to go that far.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-24-2011
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Having just been through a claim of my own, I can tell you its no fun - the insurance companies play hardball. I am out a $750 deductible even though the other party took responsability. Because we are both with the same insurance underwriter (Lloyds) there was no interest in subrogation since the insurer would really be suing themselves. I would have to sue my own insurance company for the deductible - not worth the trouble and they know it.

You have to weigh that $500 against your deductible and whatever amount you can recover from the other party - either though goodwill or litigation. It Sucks!

Old 06-24-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I love it how people try to take advantage of you. I had a mortgage company make a mistake and try get me to cover it up. I stood up to the guy threatening us, then to their attorney. My wife was aghast at what I was doing. Finally I sent a FedEX overnight letter to the CEO of the company and threatened them with a lawsuit unless I got a written apology from him by the following day. I got my written apology.

Last year we bought a freezer from Home Depot. We had an old freezer and transferred the food into the new one when it was delivered, and they hauled away the old one. The new one failed to freeze, and we lost the whole load of food. My wife wanted it replaced. Home Depot wanted to repair it. They said they couldn't pick it up. Then they said they would take it back if I delivered it! 45 minutes on the phone telling everyone I wanted to speak to their supervisor, and I had the personal secretary of the CEO on the phone. Got a written apology a few days later, a truck picked up the freezer and our charge account got credited. Bought another freezer, from somebody else!

Sorry, but you need to be an uncompromising bastard with everyone involved to actually get treated fairly.

It works both ways though. Two years ago I hit a pickup truck in a parking lot, trying to avoid hitting the guy, because it was steep hill. No one was around. I went in the store and asked who's vehicle it was and gave him my information and turned it into my insurance company. He worked at the store and told me later it cost $1200 to fix it. I'm sure my insurance company got their money from me since. I do NOT have good luck!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 07-04-2011

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
Hold the guy responsible. You need a damage claim survey done on this vessel. You would have to hire the surveyor yourself. However the going rate is about $95.00 an hour. So the damage claim survey service would be about $500.00 - $1000.00. In the survey you would get the cause and effect of what happened, contractor estimates to fix the vessel properly, written witness statements about what happened, a fair market valuation on your vessel, and plenty of pictures of the damage to both vessels. This is a powerful tool for both insurance companies involved and for anyone else attempting to refute the damage. If it is worth it to you, this is what I highly recommend. It is your best asset in a situation like this.
Old 07-04-2011

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road
I don't see how someone can hit your boat and not come talk to you about covering the repairs.. Ops, My bad dog just some scratches.
Old 07-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
I don't see how someone can hit your boat and not come talk to you about covering the repairs.. Ops, My bad dog just some scratches.
Happened to me last year. I was down below and the rich snotty kids next to me, racing their Dad's boat, were backing in and I thought I heard them scrape. Wasn't sure, they didn't come over to say anything. Thinking it may be my imagination, I didn't walk around and look until later. Sure, enough, their rub rail left a mark. Not horrible, but noticeable. Never owned up.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.