SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What is the market value of your boat.

• $0-2,500

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • $2,500-5,000

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • $5,000-10,000

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • $10,000-15,000

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • $15,000-20,000

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • $20,000-30,000

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • $30,000-40,000

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • $40,000-50,000

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • $50,000-75,000

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • $75,000 +

Votes: 30 26.5%

What is the average value of Sailnet members boats (poll)

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  paulk 
#1 ·
As I have been wandering around boatyards this year I am noticing a lot of boats on the hard with for sale signs on them. Many are older boats and in the less then 10K price range. It got me thinking about what the average price of a water ready boat is in todays economy. The best way I can think of to find out would be to poll a group of people with sailing ready boats.

I think that one reason there are so many boats in the less then 10 K range is because buyers have a lot of options for boats in the 30 or so year old range. Many are great boats and worth well more then the asking price, but everybody is competing with all the other boats of the same vintage that are available.. Post the 1970 I think sailing became less popular and there are many fewer boats available in the 80s and 90s model years. As more and more 70s and earlier boats get scrapped in another decade or so we will see a rise in used boat prices as supply slacks off and starts to match demand.

So if you own a boat that is in the water and sailing regularly, and you were to sell it in todays market. What do you think you could sell it for? Fully understanding that we all think our own stuff is worth more then what it actually is; Lets see some numbers.

#3 ·
Time spent on the boat = PRICELESS.

#5 ·
Is the value what the boat is worth to me or what I could realistically get if I put it on this really grim market?

#19 ·
The poll is anonymous, so you really are not giving out any info other then what is the majority on the water.

All boats have issues... it's a boat;)

I doubt there would be so many less then 10K boats sitting in marinas if they were un-insureable or un-sailable. The last thing a Marina wants on their lot is a boat that nobody is going to pay the storage fees on.

For me the true value of a boat is what you could get somebody to pay you for it.... today. You can dump thousand into a boat without ever increasing it's value. I have seen a few boats out on moorings this year that are free, come sail them away... I would call that a sailboat that isn't worth the 500.00 it would cost to haul it out for a survey. Is that a fair assumption?

#9 · (Edited)
I didn't own a boat, so had the advantage that I didn't have to sell a boat before buying one. I paid what I voted, and it was cruise ready. There were 6 others of the same genre but cheaper that needed work so I passed on those.
Since it appears that you are trying to figure out how much a boat will cost if you get one, I can offer this since I tried to squeeze that info out of this site too, but realistically, every deal is different and every boat and seller is different, with a number of drivers that influence the price they are willing to take. For me, after looking nearby and beginning to range farther afield as I couldn't find what I wanted in reasonable shape, and observing what listings were, I made an offer on a boat sight unseen (contingent on personal inspection, survey and sea trial) that was too far to go look at without knowing what I'd have to pay. I low-balled (50% of asking) to see what would happen and we ended up agreeing on a 25% of list price. After inspection it turned out to be so much better than any of the other boats I looked at that I felt I got a good deal. Survey was clean and I'm leaving tomorrow to sail it back across the Gulf to it's new home. None of the other boats I saw would I have done that with.
My opinion is that it's a buyers market, decide what you will spend and then find the best boat you can get for that money, and knowing that the boat you want will be something less than the listing price. I was lucky (and researched a lot and looked at a ton of boats) and would have been willing to offer on more than only one boat before I found what I wanted at a price I could pay.
First, decide what you want!

#13 ·
... I hear you... we recently had to get an insurance survey. Disappointing.

This (old) poll needs three categories.. What you think it's worth, what it's really worth, and what it would actually sell for.... Oh- and one more.... What you've put into it!:eek:

#15 ·
The one bight spot in America's economy is that sailors who are not American can buy an American boat at what will appear to be a huge discount compared to what the equivalent boat would cost in his/her home country. Here in Florida I see foreign buyers taking advantage of this all the time.

Of course there is the small matter of bringing the new boat 'home' to consider.

#18 ·
Siamese has touched upon one of the biggest variables when it comes to boat value -- how desperate is the seller? If I HAD to sell my boat within a month or two, it would be "worth" a fraction (1/2?, 1/3?) of what it would take to get be to part with her were a buyer to approach me before I had any desire to sell. Most sellers are between those two extremes -- the boat is on the market, but the seller is willing to wait several months to get a decent price. Likewise, the "worth" of such a sellers boat is somewhere between the "fire sale" price and the "how much will it take to get you to sell?" price.

#21 ·
It took 1.5 years to do the work needed to make Seafever pass a survey

It did infact start out as a 500 dollar boat and when done the survey valued it at the top of the Possable Cal 29 price range and was easily insured at that value

Lotta people don't have insurance because the boat won't pass a survey and they get abandoned all the time around here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.