SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What is the average value of Sailnet members boats (poll) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/75605-what-average-value-sailnet-members-boats-poll.html)

IronSpinnaker 06-24-2011 04:41 PM

What is the average value of Sailnet members boats (poll)

As I have been wandering around boatyards this year I am noticing a lot of boats on the hard with for sale signs on them. Many are older boats and in the less then 10K price range. It got me thinking about what the average price of a water ready boat is in todays economy. The best way I can think of to find out would be to poll a group of people with sailing ready boats.

I think that one reason there are so many boats in the less then 10 K range is because buyers have a lot of options for boats in the 30 or so year old range. Many are great boats and worth well more then the asking price, but everybody is competing with all the other boats of the same vintage that are available.. Post the 1970 I think sailing became less popular and there are many fewer boats available in the 80s and 90s model years. As more and more 70s and earlier boats get scrapped in another decade or so we will see a rise in used boat prices as supply slacks off and starts to match demand.

So if you own a boat that is in the water and sailing regularly, and you were to sell it in todays market. What do you think you could sell it for? Fully understanding that we all think our own stuff is worth more then what it actually is; Lets see some numbers.

LandLocked66c 06-24-2011 05:12 PM

Mine isn't worth much! :D

SlowButSteady 06-24-2011 05:23 PM

Time spent on the boat = PRICELESS.

chef2sail 06-24-2011 05:23 PM

Priceless...what price to put on peace and serenity

Allanbc 06-24-2011 05:27 PM

Is the value what the boat is worth to me or what I could realistically get if I put it on this really grim market?

catamount 06-24-2011 05:28 PM

I've got an idea of my boat's value, but it is not for sale.

carl762 06-24-2011 05:32 PM

My boat's mine forever. It's priceless.

I'll likely be getting a 30+ footer as quickly as I can, considering today's market, and consider a live-aboard situation. Current boat can and will be used for day sailing.

tommays 06-24-2011 07:00 PM

That is a bit to much info to give out But i can assure you the < 10k boats have issues and its NOT likely they would pass and insurance survey

pinayreefer 06-24-2011 07:07 PM

I didn't own a boat, so had the advantage that I didn't have to sell a boat before buying one. I paid what I voted, and it was cruise ready. There were 6 others of the same genre but cheaper that needed work so I passed on those.
Since it appears that you are trying to figure out how much a boat will cost if you get one, I can offer this since I tried to squeeze that info out of this site too, but realistically, every deal is different and every boat and seller is different, with a number of drivers that influence the price they are willing to take. For me, after looking nearby and beginning to range farther afield as I couldn't find what I wanted in reasonable shape, and observing what listings were, I made an offer on a boat sight unseen (contingent on personal inspection, survey and sea trial) that was too far to go look at without knowing what I'd have to pay. I low-balled (50% of asking) to see what would happen and we ended up agreeing on a 25% of list price. After inspection it turned out to be so much better than any of the other boats I looked at that I felt I got a good deal. Survey was clean and I'm leaving tomorrow to sail it back across the Gulf to it's new home. None of the other boats I saw would I have done that with.
My opinion is that it's a buyers market, decide what you will spend and then find the best boat you can get for that money, and knowing that the boat you want will be something less than the listing price. I was lucky (and researched a lot and looked at a ton of boats) and would have been willing to offer on more than only one boat before I found what I wanted at a price I could pay.
First, decide what you want!

Bradhamlet 06-24-2011 07:28 PM

I have a Lancer 36 built in 1981, sail it all the time. She shows her age but is in good shape. The county taxes it at a value of $17,500. I hope I could get $25,000. But the county is more realistic.
Brad