SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Son Hooked (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/75637-son-hooked.html)

BentSailor 06-26-2011 09:14 AM

Son Hooked

Took my eldest son out today for his first father / son and inaugural sail on the family's Maricat. I'm not a multihull fan, the wind was not the best, it's the middle of winter, and we weren't racing anyone... still was an awesome day with my boy.

I don't have a tale on how we had a BFS and I cannot say we were riding one hull screaming into the wind. What I can say is that while we didn't speak much on the water, my son & I were communicating more than we have in months. I might never understand his need to "go faster" and he still doesn't get how I can enjoy a sail of only five knots; but we still click when on the water.

Perhaps not a tale for everyone, but I thought I'd share anyway.

shamrock6 06-26-2011 09:23 AM

I took my 9 month old out for the first time a few weeks ago. I'm hoping cruising & racing is something that keeps us connected.

Faster 06-26-2011 09:47 AM

Finding an activity your growing children will be happy to continue to participate in with you is a priceless thing.

Our son had no choice, he was sailing from the time he was 18 days old, but he raced with us through his teens and now owns his own boat and races that and OPBs... it's very gratifying.

Way to go, Bent!

rats319 06-26-2011 11:56 AM

My son is coming to visit for the summer. When i asked him what he wanted to do first, he said "Is the boat ready, I want to go sailing." I'm glad he enjoys it as mush as i do.

rbrasi 06-26-2011 12:04 PM

I'll be bringing my 14 year old son on board for the first time in early July. I am anticipating the usual 'are we there yet?' types of questions. I think the biggest challenge will be to keep him occupied.

smackdaddy 06-26-2011 02:18 PM

Goodonya Bent! Sounds like a hell of a day. Just having taken my dad out for our inaugural sail a few weeks ago....it's the best thing in the world just being together out there.

MikeinLA 06-26-2011 04:41 PM

Bent, you are blessed. My son went sailing with me only once and suffered severe motion sickness. He never wanted to go again.:( Luckily, that one day was Father's Day and my Dad was aboard, so we had all 3 generations out for the day. Friends on board videotaped the day. Now that my Dad is gone, I cherish that video and the memories of that fine day.

Mike

knothead 06-26-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BentSailor (Post 744135)
What I can say is that while we didn't speak much on the water, my son & I were communicating more than we have in months.

I can't speak as a father, but I can as a son of a sailor. Those times of silent communion will remain with him for a lifetime and will be a source of strength for him in tough times. probably for you as well. It's good that you cherish them.

poopdeckpappy 06-26-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BentSailor (Post 744135)
Perhaps not a tale for everyone,

Perhaps not but, It still goes in the Best F****** Sail memory file and that's what counts

smackdaddy 06-26-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy (Post 744317)
Perhaps not but, It still goes in the Best F****** Sail memory file and that's what counts

Huzzah!!!!!