How Many Young People (say 36 or over) Are Out There? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011

ToppDogg is on a distinguished road
I'm 46 and enjoying my young age, I keep fit via bicycling and Hiking in the Pacific Northwest.
I'm ex Navy and when I lived in Hawaii I sailed a Ranger 26, now that my Girls are grown up and on their own I have a Grandson that I want to spend time with and Sailing I hope will be our pastime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Good luck with sailing with your grandson!

I have to admit, it kind of freaks me out when people my age (I'm 44) have grandchildren. My best friend from 10th grade is a great-grandmother!

My teenage nephew wants to sail our boat on Saturday to the anchorage I chose. He took the auxiliary sail class a few years ago but has almost no experience at the helm. I'm giving him the paper chart, tools, etc and everything he needs to plan the trip in advance to reinforce that there is more to boating than jumping behind the wheel and taking off. I'll put his course in the netbook and see if we can sail it.

His younger sister, who also took the course, is in charge of weather monitoring and figuring out the tides. She already told me that sailing is too much work and why can't she just pay one of her friends to do it. I should make her scrub the boat.

It's supposed to be in the 90s on the Bay and I suspect there will be almost no wind.

Should be interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-28-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
I'm pushing 76. Been sailing all my life. Keen and sharp as ever, but endurance is down to zilch, and am getting a bit careless which is a concern.

Dick
Old 06-28-2011

AnderCranster is on a distinguished road
Ayup

I'm 42 and have definitely had more fun since I turned 35.

Luckily (and strangely) people say "no way" when they find out I am over 30yrs old, and freak out when I tell them I'm 42.

Of course, I'm not sure if they're referring to my level of maturity of how well I've held up
Old 06-28-2011

danielt63 is on a distinguished road
The kids are grown and pretty much out of the house. My wife had been putting quite a few miles on her old wal-mart bike so I bought her one of those fancy road/racing bikes for her birthday this year (her 49th.) She also decided to start sailing with me.

Now, after riding 100 miles a week, she happily jumps on either a Hobie 16 or a 420 with me on the weekends and hikes out with the best of them.
Old 06-28-2011

AnderCranster is on a distinguished road
My wife loves sailing as much as I do. She's not actually sailed the boat too much though.

We went out on our 14' Super Snark Mach 5 today and she actually handled the main sheet while I had the tiller.

Even though it was pretty gusty out there she did a great job and didn't put her on her side once. My 13yr old daughter had control of the main sheet today as well and also did great. I think they're both proud of themselves

I'm hoping that soon both of them will attempt to sail her on their own or at least with me just going along for the ride. They both have a pretty good idea of how to read and use the wind and have seen me sail a LOT, I think that they just need more confidence.

I'll bet that in another couple of weeks at least one of them will give it a shot.
Old 06-29-2011
A mod and her dragon

In our marina there is a nice looking Catalina Capri with an outboard. Every now and then I see a couple drive down with kids, the man leaves the woman and one of the kids off and she maneuvers that boat out of the dock like a champ. I think the boat is called Mom's Bayby or something like that.

I like to think that Mom is having quality time with her kids, although, of course I have no idea.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 06-29-2011
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I love meeting/reading about people still sailing into their senior years. It makes me happy that I might have another 30 or more years left to sail (health willing).
Owner of the Boat I race the Mackinaw race on every year is owned and until last year skippered by an 86 y/o man who didn't even start sailing until his late 40's. No reason to stop until you can't do it anymore.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 06-29-2011

Nudibranch is on a distinguished road
I'm 47, the wife is 40 and we had a heart-to-heart talk a couple of weeks ago. I can retire in 10 years (unless they screw around with things at work) and we made the commitment to sell everything and head out. The boat will be paid off by then, I'll add items as needed until then and we're off. Just hope our health holds out until then and beyond. Still feel like I'm in my early 30's, she still gets carded when buying alcohol! Having no kids helps!
Old 06-29-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudibranch View Post
...we made the commitment to sell everything and head out. The boat will be paid off by then, I'll add items as needed until then and we're off. Just hope our health holds out until then and beyond....
Good luck!

50 is the new 30.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.