Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
How Many Young People (say 36 or over) Are Out There?

I couldn't resist. I don't feel at all old and I felt left out of the under 35 thread. As a matter of fact, I felt I hit my stride at 30 and have had more fun since than I ever had prior.

John and I are in our mid-forties, no children (by choice - I am not that responsible) and enjoying sailing our Catalina 30 on the Chesapeake.

It's our second boat, the first being a Venture 2-22 that I bought in 1999 as a project boat before meeting John. My only criteria was that it floated. I wanted to figure out how to do stuff. I got the fiberglass down, I made another rudder out of mahogany (beautiful but HEAVY), I re-rigged with swageless fittings and I painted the hull. One week after I began reading the book on marine electrical systems I was introduced to John. Instead of wooing me with wine and flowers he (an electrician) re-wired my boat for me, almost guaranteeing that I didn't blow myself up on the Bay. Four years later, tired of stooping in the Venture (we're both tall), he bought us the Catalina. I figured he's a keeper.

I gave the Venture to a couple who have since become friends.

Today, while scrubbing the Catalina inside and out, I did wish for a couple of kids to borrow for the task. But, wait! I have a couple of bored teenaged nieces and nephews who I think can be bribed.

I suppose I started this topic because the fun doesn't end at 30.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2011
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
I am 52 and loving life here in the UAE. I am sailing H16's here in the Persian Gulf and looking to buy a Prout 23. I am relatively new to sailing however I hope to make it up with enthusiasm.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Old 06-27-2011
A mod and her dragon

I love meeting/reading about people still sailing into their senior years. It makes me happy that I might have another 30 or more years left to sail (health willing).

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 06-27-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
My wife and I are in our 40s(mid for me and early for her!). I have been sailing since childhood and she learned when she met me. We also have no children by choice(except for a hairy black child named Shamus) and are going through our mid-life crisis. We sold our house and all earthly belongings and bought a bigger boat to live aboard. We entertain the dream of someday throwing off the lines and exploring the world together.

Shortly after we got married and moved to Portland, we started sailing on the bay in a San Juan 21. Then came the Pearson 28 and next an Ericson 35-3. With each boat came more and better memories while exploring the Maine coast together.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 06-27-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm 45 and my Catalina 25 is my first sailboat. I chose it because my criteria for a first boat was:

1. Affordable - Pay cash for it
2. Easy and forgiving to learn on.
3. Big enough to spend the weekend on. (reasonable cabin)
4. Small enough to singlehand for a newbie.

I'll keep her for 3 years then move up to a bigger boat, probably a 32 -36 footer that will be my boat until I retire, (20 years away) and buy my big blue water home to explore the world.

I haven't dropped alot of coin on my C25, nor will I....and the next 3 years will teach me so much more of what I really want/need for my next boat. I'm setting my budget up so that I'll have $30 - $40k to spend on my next boat, and by the time I retire will have $150k to spend on that boat plus $50k or so for refit/repairs, etc....

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 06-27-2011
A mod and her dragon

Catalinas

When we decided to move up from the Venture 2-22 I did a lot of research for two years. The Catalina offered the biggest cabin size, best owners association and the best company support for out-of-production boats. We also joined an all-Catalina club and find it well worth it in tips from others who have owned the same boat and to scope out our next boat.

She ain't the fastest boat on the Bay, but she's comfortable and gets us back safely.

I think my dream retirement would be to not sell everything and sail the world (I love the property we live on now), but to own a nice piece of wooded waterfront property with no house but just a dock with water and electrical hook up and keep our boat tied there. When we feel a bit of wanderlust beyond the Bay or the Islands, there's always charters.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 06-27-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
No worries DeFerron, you are definently not the minority. Being the only 23 yr old I know with his own sailboat I find myself in a class all by myself. I am about to go devote the next 6-7 hours to interior wood work. I swear I better not have to do anything but slap some teak oil on this wood for a few years after all this crap is done. Plus Pauls going to want his rent for the slip and I still owe the Marina a couple hundo.
I wish I had one of you "older" folks jobs. have 150 K for a boat and refit. Sheesh man, give me twenty G's and I start the dream tomorrow! I've been poor since I moved out of my moms house after high school. It can suck having to save up money for every little project that needs doing. Haha, guess your priorities change with age.
I do like having you old folks around for the knowledge you usually have. Nice to have loads of experience tied up all around me.
Would be nice if I discovered a fellow salty pup like me...
Old 06-27-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I wish I had one of you "older" folks jobs. have 150 K for a boat and refit.
Age doesn't guarantee you money or a job. It only guarantees that you're older.

Quote:
Sheesh man, give me twenty G's and I start the dream tomorrow! I've been poor since I moved out of my moms house after high school. It can suck having to save up money for every little project that needs doing.
Depends on your perspective. It could also mean that you spend less frivolously and you place more value on what you own. In our case, we also discovered a few boat-related items that just aren't crucial to safe sailing in our home waters.

Quote:
Haha, guess your priorities change with age.
Or with maturity, which often has nothing to do with age.

Quote:
I do like having you old folks around for the knowledge you usually have.
I can't wait until you are in your forties and fifties to see if you still consider it "old."

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 06-27-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wish I had one of you "older" folks jobs. have 150 K for a boat and refit. Sheesh man, give me twenty G's and I start the dream tomorrow!

Twenty G's was my budget.
I'm 53 and after 20 years of dreaming about it I bought my aloha 8.2 a year and a half ago. I have been learning to do all the repairs myself and I have had just as much fun learning to work on her as I have learning to sail her.
Old 06-27-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not quite 50, will not say how old spouse is, from it might get me in trouble, other than meow!?!?!?!?

finally after one marriage, spouse would not step on a boat, Sheryl will overall, altho a bit timid, she at least grew up on stink pots. I built two boats as a teen, sailed them on lake washington, not have the dream boat per say from the time a 30' IOR style half ton, altho a post fastnet version.......

As far as having money at my age, I think I had more in college and out of college with newborn twin sons etc. THe current depression has hit those of us in the contracting area, and Sheryl who is an escrow office, both own our own companies. One of those hanging on by toe nails or threads or some such thing............hopefully things get better.

oh yeah, no kids tween us, I have 4, she as none. I suppose mr winston, the rather spoiled King charles cavalier is the kid we have, along with three cats.......

Marty