Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Mike, why the fixation on Ch 16? Ch 9 is the calling channel for both commercial and non-commercial traffic. You can also use Ch 68, 69, 71, and 72 for radio checks too. Over here in San Francisco Bay, all the channels I mentioned are heavily used and you will be sure to get a “check”. No need to clutter an emergency channel if you don’t have too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
Again, with the churl stick. *My* fixation? I don't have one. Take a look back at the OP. Everyone keeps radio watch on 16. When you call and don't get an answer, is it the dead air? Or is it that the radio isn't working? I'll keep in mind that about SFBay. I don't sail there, but who knows; I might some day.
Old 06-27-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWhy View Post
Everyone keeps radio watch on 16. When you call and don't get an answer, is it the dead air? Or is it that the radio isn't working?
Yes, as a general rule everyone does watch 16. But NOT for radio checks but for distress transmissions, securite's and other radio communications directed toward them. So the answer to your question is likely "neither of the above and it is more likely that you are being ignored"...regular radio users are fully aware of the regs regarding radio checks and will not answer you on 16 in most cases. Any other working channel is whole other story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 06-27-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
I've gotten a reply every time, within seconds, each time.

I'm done with this.
Old 06-28-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I tend to agree with Mike and also resist the continuous reference to Ch 16 being an emergency channel.

It is a call channel to establish comms with another person/vessel and then one moves to another channel for conversation. That is how I have always understood it globally and I haven't seen it any other way.

It becomes an emergency channel when a distress is declared then it comes under the MAYDAY/SEELONCE protocol and from that point on it is dedicated to THAT emergency until released with a SEELONCE FINEE upon which it returns to being a call channel. I'm sure there will be a load of "experts" that disagree with that so let's hear it.

And while I'm here, a radio check is not to discover whether there is contact with another station, it is to discover how good your contact is, whether it is 5x5 (strength and clarity) and in my view is part of my safety checks. What does it help that you can hear other radios loud and clear but you come over all scratcy and barely readable?

As it happens in Auckland we log a trip report each time we sail and that serves as a radio check because Coast Guard will tell us if the radio reception is less than perfect. But if I didn't do that I would also do regular radio checks with a recognised authority, safe in the knowledge that I'm not talking to the fisherman on the boat next to me. Our lives may depend on good radio performance.

As always, just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-28-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Great discussion and very happy to see the actual authoritative reference to not using Ch 16 for radio checks. Thanks.

The experience that caused me to post this was on the day of an airshow with a couple of hundred anchored boats. I couldn't know where the checks were coming from, but can say that the volume began and ended with the show schedule. A reasonable inference would be that these checks were being made at anchor at the show. For additional consideration, a radio check or acknowledgment that doesn't include your location is not terribly valuable, imho.

There were also several "10-4"s and "comeback"s.....

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-28-2011

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
I have answered radio checks on 16 if for no other reason than to get them to stop calling. I give a "Load and clear one mile S of so and so". I have used the automated checks but there is no indication of the "checks" location. I could be 1 or 10 miles away. If I have a concern about my radio and do not have a buddy boat I hail Towboat US or the marina and follow them to their working channel. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 06-28-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
A reason for the frequent and numerous radio checks is that a lot of people are in chartered, or Sailtime boats. That is, they are sailing boats that are not their own. These people are not intimately familiar with the equipment, or it's operational state. Therefore, they test the radio with a radio check.

They should, however, be preforming the checks on channel 9. The only problem with channel 9 is that people typically do not respond...

The SeaTow Radio check is a great idea, and I had used it on Ch 24 in Barrington, RI, (where I keep my boat) several times this spring when I was replacing much of my coax. However, when I have tried it recently, either my radio has completely crapped out, or the system has been turned off. It has been like this since June 1. Thus, I go to channel 9, where no one responds...
Old 06-28-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

They should, however, be preforming the checks on channel 9. The only problem with channel 9 is that people typically do not respond...
Nope - check this posting

Radio check
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-28-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
A reason for the frequent and numerous radio checks is that a lot of people are in chartered, or Sailtime boats. That is, they are sailing boats that are not their own. These people are not intimately familiar with the equipment, or it's operational state. Therefore, they test the radio with a radio check.
In Canada, at least, anyone using a VHF radio is required to be licensed. Part of that process is learning how to request a radio check.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)