SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Old as new, not always best.

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  TQA 
#1 ·
I love fixing "old things as new" The things fixed recently are not high priority either, so I gave them time but not allot of money.

Girlfriend and I spent the night on the boat this weekend. After a great day of river sailing. (sometimes it's possible) We get back on the mooring and make ready for cooking and relaxing. (feeling a little proud now too, since "everrrrry thing works")

My force 10 oven range with OLD propane safety sensor solenoid etc, that I rewired in the spring.. did not not work! Arrrg! Well it worked a few weeks ago! ARRRG!

The microwave that came with my boat and was in the basement for a couple of years .. works but not really.. 4 minutes to warm about 4 oz of water? ARRRG! For laughs we tried popcorn... guess you know how that went!

The inverter that had real promise to work for the occasional use of the microwave and blender for margaritas did not work! ARRRRG! Why is that red light on again??

I went up on deck, cooled off a bit in one of the very few low humidity days we've had in weeks. Set up the grille for the steaks. (love that little Magma) got the stove working by removing the solenoid for now. We didn't really need the microwave. Found the inverter working great! It was the power strip with multiple outlets that was shorting out.

So much for extended voyages beyond the horizon eh? :rolleyes:

Well some good things are showing in the boat.. the lighting is nice, the batteries are strong, now that ALL the cables have GOOD connections. (thank you PO for not squeezing them with the crimper) The new Nicro vent is STILL working. The boat didn't smell. the steaks were great. It was cool and the stink pots stopped running by so frequently.

fair winds!

See less See more
#5 ·
I was laughing....sounds like some of my Friday nights when I get to the boat when my wife hears me muttering...ok its gonna be one of those weekends where we fix everything............again.

Glad you got to sail. Eventually youll be on the Bay with the rest of us.

Dave

#10 ·
Worst for me was being tied up in downtown Boston, having cocktails and getting ready to go to a nice dinner with six guests. You guessed it. Just before we left "it" happened.

They went on ahead (no pun intended), I changed, took apart, back together, another shower, change again and ninety minutes later caught up.

I guess it could have been worse. Did I mention that it was August and hot!

On a boat you can count on entropy being predictable. Hmm, so what does that make it then?

#8 ·
thanks all .. it was still a good ending for a good day.

So which Microwave should I get? 7 or 900 watts? They all have digital clocks but that's ok if it's not on 24/7 with the inverter.

#9 ·
What is a micro wave doing in a boat? How long would a 70 ahr batter last with an inverter supplying power to said microwave? Propane stove sounds much easier!

This sounds like the day a 2 gal bottle of rum fell out of a sack and broke upon impact! the funny part is, earlier in the day, with 5 boat christinings in my YC, 3 bottles never broke, fell out of the hands of the breakee, into the water and sunk! And these where the score/supposid breakable with nets around the bottle to collect the glas fragments bought and sold for just an occasion! life goes on! yes it does........

#11 ·
"On a boat you can count on entropy being predictable. Hmm, so what does that make it then??

It makes it a lower energy state. ;)

(Entropy is a thermodynamics concept, wherein order tends toward disorder and randomness. It's the tendency of sharp blades to turn dull; hot into cold; 12.8v into 9.6v; and the shiny boat decaying inexorably into incoherent dust.)

#14 ·
Y'all missed what I was meaning... the Microwave that came with my boat was old and for HA HA FUN WE TRIED IT OUT. trying it on popcorn was really funny. I don't know that I need one on the boat but they are cheap and save the boat from oven heat build up. I hardly ever eat popcorn myself. The propane solenoid is good the control is bad or at least intermittent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.