SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Foreign Registered Vessel - How long can I stay in MD before I need to leave the US (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/75684-foreign-registered-vessel-how-long-can-i-stay-md-before-i-need-leave-us.html)

Pierre Bouvery 06-27-2011 01:40 PM

Foreign Registered Vessel - How long can I stay in MD before I need to leave the US

I am a non US resident. I have a European passport, and own a BVI registered sail boat. By June next year, I want to sail from BVI to Annapolis, leave the boat there for about 2-2 1/2 months to travel across the US, and then leave the US to sail the boat to Europe. Although I will have tourist visa (for Europeans it is valid up to 3 months), can I leave/park the boat that long in MD, or does it create an issue? Is there any particular documentation/permit needed? Is there any associated cost/local tax?

Grateful for any information on the subject.

paulk 06-27-2011 03:07 PM

I hear that the USCG issues one-year permits for visiting boats whose paperwork is in order. To determine what you need, check the U.S. Customs & Border Patrol site. For starters: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...3D%3D/search/1 The price I saw was about $28.00
Bonne visite!

hellosailor 06-27-2011 03:42 PM

Pierre, you will need a US federal cruising permit to bring the boat into the US. That's good for one year, not a minute longer. At that point the boat must leave the US for 15(?) days and you may apply for a new permit good for another year, which may or may not be granted.

Regarding state laws, I don't think you'll find any limits on your stays. For a US-documented vessel there are issues with registration and sales tax, sometimes in as little as 90 days, but for a foreign-flagged vessel that should not be an issue.

I would check directly with Customs, the USCG, and the Maryland state authorities to make certain of that though. All should have web site contacts, although of course sometimes it is still nicer to have a real letter to file in the ship's papers.

osirissail 06-27-2011 08:40 PM

Although your boat can get into the USA without much difficulty, you will not be able to enter the country unless you have a valid USA B1/B2 visa in your passport.
- - The rules for visiting the USA traveling by commercial airliner do not apply to entry with a private recreational vessel.

TQA 06-28-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Bouvery (Post 744562)
I am a non US resident. I have a European passport, and own a BVI registered sail boat. By June next year, I want to sail from BVI to Annapolis, leave the boat there for about 2-2 1/2 months to travel across the US, and then leave the US to sail the boat to Europe. Although I will have tourist visa (for Europeans it is valid up to 3 months), can I leave/park the boat that long in MD, or does it create an issue? Is there any particular documentation/permit needed? Is there any associated cost/local tax?

Grateful for any information on the subject.

If your 'tourist visa' is the 'visa waiver' it is no good if you arrive in the US on a private sailboat. You must have a B1/B2 visa and believe me this is non negotiable.

The boat gets a year with it's cruising permit, you will most likely be given 6 months although it is at the discretion of the immigration officer and I have met two couples who got stamped for a year on entry after they gave reasons. This mattered as they wanted to get US driving licences.

svsirius 06-28-2011 08:52 AM

The key question you asked is whether you can leave the boat for 90 days in MD. The answer is yes. MD has a 90 day rule before they try and get tax revenue for boats docked in the state for that contiguous period. So if all your visas/cruising permits are in order you should be fine.